PDA

View Full Version : American College system

jamumafa
01-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Hey I'm from the UK and I've always wondered what the American College system for tennis is like? I see a lot of words, ratings and terms get thrown around here And I am lost as to what they are.

Like how good do you have to be? Is Division 1 the best? What the Fook is Varsity?!?!

Any help would be greatly appriciated

xtremerunnerars
01-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Division one is (more than 99% safe to say) the best. The most money is in D1.

Players range from 5.0's (maybe) in the weaker schools and some can have people all the way up to pro level.

There's D2, which has slightly lower standards, and D3, which has standards below D2.

The word "varsity" is thrown around like the word "very" over here in the states. Varsity does NOT always mean best/most skilled. Some schools, including junior and senior high schools, have varsity as the oldest kids.

Occasionally teams will have a junior varsity sub-team, which can either be the youngest kids, or usually the kids who aren't good enough to play in official competition. Official as in recorded and tallied for playoffs, ranking, etc.

Hope that helps!

jamumafa
01-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Cheers dude :D

PS - I heart Kirby

xtremerunnerars
01-05-2007, 02:49 AM
No problem!

If you want an avatar like that...jus lemme know. Got the idea after playing super smash bros...so if you want a samus, mario, link, etc. I can surely make it for you.