PDA

View Full Version : Questions to natural gut users with String-o-meter

fastdunn
01-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi, I'm now experimenting with natural gut mains(Tonic+ 16L $24.99) and
synthetic gut(Ashaway Liberty 16g $1.89).

Tension on main: 64 lbs (lock-out, it goes around 60 lbs by the time I clamp)
String-o-meter readings right after stringing: 45-50 lbs
(This is somewhat lower than I expected...)

I would like to know what kind of string-o-meter readinngs you (natural gut
users) get after stringing it at what tension.
It would be also much more helpful if you can tell whether your reference
tension was applied on a constant pull machine or a lock-out machine.

Thanks,
FD

Valjean
01-04-2007, 04:45 PM
The range you report is within the realm of what you could get, based on the string type and gauge, especially if you're using a lockout, for which you should allow (at least) a 10% tension drop.

Steve Huff
01-04-2007, 05:30 PM
I've only tried a couple of Stringmeters, and they read differently, even on the same string. Stringmeters tell you "relative" tension. They don't tell you actual tension. Personally, if not used right, I think they can be a dangerous tool. I've heard of people like you that string their rackets at say 64#, then get readings of 40-50. So what do they do? They want 64#, so they crank their machines up to 75. Next thing you know, they have a board to play with or a cracked frame.

eunjam
01-04-2007, 05:53 PM
I've only tried a couple of Stringmeters, and they read differently, even on the same string. Stringmeters tell you "relative" tension. They don't tell you actual tension. Personally, if not used right, I think they can be a dangerous tool. I've heard of people like you that string their rackets at say 64#, then get readings of 40-50. So what do they do? They want 64#, so they crank their machines up to 75. Next thing you know, they have a board to play with or a cracked frame.

well said mr huff.

thanks for your help and insight on these stringing boards.

Valjean
01-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Much of what you've complained of, though, is covered in that instruction pamphlet that comes with the device, Steve. You're basically writing for people who don't read, aren't you then (in which case, why suppose they are even in here? :)). And, you've sloughed over the distinction between reference and actual tension, blaming the tool instead for misleading you.

According to the USRSA's The Physics And Technology of Tennis, the Stringmeter does intend to measure actual tension--it's even the only device currently available that does. It just works out better when you use a Stringmeter like an RDC, just to compare results, rather than establish them.

rich s
01-04-2007, 07:04 PM
.......I would like to know what kind of string-o-meter readinngs you (natural gut users) get after stringing it at what tension.
It would be also much more helpful if you can tell whether your reference
tension was applied on a constant pull machine or a lock-out machine.

I think the lower reading on the stringmeter is due to the relative softness of gut.

I just finished stringing one of my satellite tours with 16g Bow Gut at 65# ref on a machine with a Wise tension head in the constant pull mode.

typically when I string Prince Syn Gut Duraflex 16 at 65# ref in these frames the stringmeter indicates anywhere from 65-70#, with the 16G Bow Gut it inidcated 60-65# at the same reference tension.

dozu
01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi, I'm now experimenting with natural gut mains(Tonic+ 16L $24.99) and
synthetic gut(Ashaway Liberty 16g $1.89).

FD

That is exactly the same set-up I use !!!

The Liberty provides good 'holding' on the mains so they don't move around much. The Tonic performs well for about 10 hours of hard banging (I hit flat balls... spin players mileage may vary)

After 10 hours, the gut starts to fray and the cross are visibly worn, then the string bed loses some control, but still playable.

The other issue I find with the set up (probably true with any gut or gut hybrid string bed) is that in the first hour or so the strings need to 'break-in', so you will be hitting short balls for about an hour.... unless...

recently I started doing this: after finish stringing, I lay the racket flat on the hard floor, and step on the string bed with my full body weight, for about half a minute. This definitely speeds up the 'break-in', and the racket is lively from the first minute on court.

fastdunn
01-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Late "thank you" for everybody here !

You guys' inputs have made string-o-meter very useful tool.

rasajadad
01-23-2007, 04:13 AM
I agree that the String O Meter is a relative tool. It obviously only measures the amount of twist it can apply to the string. A factor that has a lot of variables- One of which is tension, another is the relative stiffness of the string. When stringing mains, I only use the tool to get all the strings equal. After you do the crosses and measure, you get a totally different (higher) reading. After you note the final readings, you can measure the relative tension loss over time. You can also snap your strings. (Don't ask me how I know!)

fastdunn
01-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I think the lower reading on the stringmeter is due to the relative softness of gut.

I just finished stringing one of my satellite tours with 16g Bow Gut at 65# ref on a machine with a Wise tension head in the constant pull mode.

typically when I string Prince Syn Gut Duraflex 16 at 65# ref in these frames the stringmeter indicates anywhere from 65-70#, with the 16G Bow Gut it inidcated 60-65# at the same reference tension.

This is exactly the "relative" infomation that I needed to make string-o-meter
useful. So I can assume natural gut readins are about ~ 5 lbs lower.
Is this what everybody is getting ?

fastdunn
01-23-2007, 12:41 PM
That is exactly the same set-up I use !!!

The Liberty provides good 'holding' on the mains so they don't move around much. The Tonic performs well for about 10 hours of hard banging (I hit flat balls... spin players mileage may vary)

After 10 hours, the gut starts to fray and the cross are visibly worn, then the string bed loses some control, but still playable.

The other issue I find with the set up (probably true with any gut or gut hybrid string bed) is that in the first hour or so the strings need to 'break-in', so you will be hitting short balls for about an hour.... unless...

recently I started doing this: after finish stringing, I lay the racket flat on the hard floor, and step on the string bed with my full body weight, for about half a minute. This definitely speeds up the 'break-in', and the racket is lively from the first minute on court.

dozu. I can concur everything you said about Tonic+ with Liberty.
Yep, surprisingly low string movement(I thought it was the natural gut
and not Liberty syn. gut that prevents them oving).

Yes it needed break-in periods but I thought it was because of unusually
cold weather here in California.

Yes, about 10 hour later, stringbed characteristic changed a bit.
(mines didn't fray much, I stuck-in a few elastomers only...)
But still very good. maybe the synthetics on crosses are losing tension
(although NG also loses it some). Hope it last long..