PDA

View Full Version : *@!!&@# Where's the correct allen wrench?

wally
01-05-2007, 03:48 AM
OK I realize this may be a bit picky......

I was setting up our new Prince Neos 1000 yesterday. Everything is going well. Very solid construction. It went togther so quickly I thought to myself hmm I've got time to string a racquet. So I get out the tension calibrator and whoa, we're 10lbs high. I read the directions and you need a @#$&*!! allen wrench to adjust the tension release. Does Prince think to supply one of the correct size Nooo!, so its off to Kmart to get a set of wrenches.
While I did end up getting the tension adjusted and I did get the racquet finished I ended up missing dinner:sad: .

For what we paid for the machine you would think Prince could throw in the $.25 allen wrench of the correct size!

flash9
01-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Shocking :shock:

I personally know that Alpha, Gamma, and Babolat provide all of the basic tools needed to setup and adjust their machines.

Sorry you missed dinner; you would have thought they would leave your plate on the table. :lol:

diredesire
01-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I had the exact same problem a month or so ago. Luckily, i had torx wrenches (which are star shaped, and work in the place of allen wrenches) on hand. It is rather irritating :(

varuscelli
01-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Shocking :shock:

I personally know that Alpha, Gamma, and Babolat provide all of the basic tools needed to setup and adjust their machines.

Yeah, plus my Gamma 6004 came with a coupon for a Chick-fil-A sandwich.

(Although I think the guy I bought the machine from might have left in in there by accident . . . but still, it was a win/win situation for me all around.)

varuscelli
01-06-2007, 07:42 AM

And it's true that with the Gamma 6004 I received a set of nine Allen wrenches, only a couple of which were needed for actual assembly of the machine. One or two others of those might be needed for later adjustments, but Gamma did include a whole set along with a small hex wrench. Probably easiest for them to package the assembly tools that way, and I'm sure they get a decent deal by buying those in full sets, but I still think it's a generous way to package the needed tools.

xtremerunnerars
01-06-2007, 07:58 AM
I got all the necessary wrenches with my X-2.

barry
01-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Even my Eagnas 925 purchase off the big auction site came with a 660' reel of perfect spin string, diagonal cutter, needle nose pliers, tennis awl, string mover tool, and different mounting post, and a bag full of allen wrenches.

As solid as the Neos is, maybe Prince decided adjustment tools are unnecessary.

varuscelli
01-06-2007, 10:02 AM
As solid as the Neos is, maybe Prince decided adjustment tools are unnecessary.

You wonder, though, if it might have been a case of someone getting a bit careless on the final packaging checklist.

Maybe it was supposed to be there but was left out of the box. :confused:

theace21
01-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Did the manual say the part was included? I have an older ektelon and it shows all the parts I was suppose to get...

Are you sure your calibration device is accurate? I would think that Prince has these checked before the leave the factor.

wally
01-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Did the manual say the part was included? I have an older ektelon and it shows all the parts I was suppose to get...

Are you sure your calibration device is accurate? I would think that Prince has these checked before the leave the factor.

I used the Prince calibration device as shown in the manual. A good friend has the Ektelon branded version of this machine and purchased the calibration device a couple of years ago when he bought his stringer.

I looked through all of the packing material and the manual and I did find any allen wrenches except for the two you need to assemble the stringer and I don't think the parts list shows the additional wrench needed to adjust the tension. The manual of course shows how to check the tension and adjust the tension head but Prince doesn't seem think it needs to include the necessary wrench.

I agree you would think these are factory calibrated..... maybe quality control just ain't what it used to be. I will say that I checked the tension before I strung my next racquets and it was spot on.

coachrick
01-06-2007, 08:47 PM
FWIW, my MS200tt included a full set of Allen wrenches.

theace21
01-06-2007, 09:50 PM
I used the Prince calibration device as shown in the manual. A good friend has the Ektelon branded version of this machine and purchased the calibration device a couple of years ago when he bought his stringer.

I looked through all of the packing material and the manual and I did find any allen wrenches except for the two you need to assemble the stringer and I don't think the parts list shows the additional wrench needed to adjust the tension. The manual of course shows how to check the tension and adjust the tension head but Prince doesn't seem think it needs to include the necessary wrench.

I agree you would think these are factory calibrated..... maybe quality control just ain't what it used to be. I will say that I checked the tension before I strung my next racquets and it was spot on.

Wally, I would sent them an email with these concerns. You bought from these guys for a reason, and while it was easy and cheap to get those allen wrenches - the frustration and disappointment of having the machine not calibrated properly is inexcusable.

I probably would not have checked a new machine until after I had strung several rackets and/or someone said something.

Hope the machine works - I have the model H and it is a tank! Good Luck

DX_Psycho
01-07-2007, 01:21 AM
eagnas gives you 3 allen wrenches, but none of them are the correct size for the tension calibration. i added some tape to the smallest wrench and then i could use it.

Young Pete
01-07-2007, 11:00 PM
what u needed waz those really small allen wrenches which i dont think is a very big deal i mean almost every household have those allen wrenches in their toolbox.

i am sure prince sent a t handle (high quality) allen wrench to adjust the vertical adjustment of the head hold down.

dont knock on the prince neos just because these small allen wrenches are not included they are only worth 1 dollar and you can get them anywhere im sure the allen wrench set eagnas or gamma sent are the el cheapo kind u can get from the dollar store.

my .02 cents

wally
01-08-2007, 08:27 AM
what u needed waz those really small allen wrenches which i dont think is a very big deal i mean almost every household have those allen wrenches in their toolbox.

i am sure prince sent a t handle (high quality) allen wrench to adjust the vertical adjustment of the head hold down.

dont knock on the prince neos just because these small allen wrenches are not included they are only worth 1 dollar and you can get them anywhere im sure the allen wrench set eagnas or gamma sent are the el cheapo kind u can get from the dollar store.

my .02 cents

I'm very very pleased with the machine. As one poster said above its a tank! Fit, finish and most importantly quality and dependability of the string job produced are first rate. I would highly reccomend the machine to anyone.

My point is you are paying a premium price for a top quality machine. One would think they could provide you with all of the tools to assemble and if necessary adjust the machine. You shouldn't have to dig in your tool box for a $.25 wrench or make a trip to the store.

wally
01-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Wally, I would sent them an email with these concerns. You bought from these guys for a reason, and while it was easy and cheap to get those allen wrenches - the frustration and disappointment of having the machine not calibrated properly is inexcusable.

I probably would not have checked a new machine until after I had strung several rackets and/or someone said something.

Hope the machine works - I have the model H and it is a tank! Good Luck

We bought the stringer from the local Prince rep. and he is now well aware of my complaint.

I don't know why I thought to check the tension. ... guess I'm just not a trusting soul.
Its a good thing I did. The second racquet I strung was a DNX 8 with a full poly job at 57lbs. Stiff racquet + fully ploy + 10lbs extra tension = 2x4. The mere thought makes my arm hurt and I think the 2X4 might have had more feel.

Young Pete
01-08-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm very very pleased with the machine. As one poster said above its a tank! Fit, finish and most importantly quality and dependability of the string job produced are first rate. I would highly reccomend the machine to anyone.

My point is you are paying a premium price for a top quality machine. One would think they could provide you with all of the tools to assemble and if necessary adjust the machine. You shouldn't have to dig in your tool box for a $.25 wrench or make a trip to the store.

what we prince / ektelon machine owners should worry about are replacement parts....now those are expensive!!!!! and i believe only tennis machines from saint louis mo is the only place you can get spares......scary huh......