PDA

View Full Version : Oiling the joints of my Klippermate

ATXtennisaddict
01-05-2007, 07:18 AM
I noticed the part where you grip the strings, it's getting a "rusty" feeling. Should I oil the joints with some WD40 or somthing?

diredesire
01-05-2007, 09:53 AM
I noticed the part where you grip the strings, it's getting a "rusty" feeling. Should I oil the joints with some WD40 or somthing?

You certainly can try this, just make sure to wipe up any excess.

dancraig
01-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Yeah, and be carefull not to get any oil based lube on the actual gripping surface. If you use too much oil, it could migrate onto the gripping service. If it does, I suppose you could clean it off with a toothbrush and alcohol. I think oil on the gripping surface could cause the string to slip in the gripper.
Like DD advises, if you use oil, be careful and clean up well.

aussie
01-06-2007, 03:36 AM
Which part is getting the "rusty"feeling? Klipper advise to never put oil on any part of the Kmate - particularly near the gripper surfaces. It's tough enough keeping the 2 gripper jaws free of silicone build up let alone oil!!

dancraig
01-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Which part is getting the "rusty"feeling? Klipper advise to never put oil on any part of the Kmate - particularly near the gripper surfaces. It's tough enough keeping the 2 gripper jaws free of silicone build up let alone oil!!

I used a Klippermate years ago, and I recall having to disassemble and clean the gripper after every 5 or 6 frames. I also think they must be really clean of silicone or the string will slip.

j0hnd0e
01-08-2007, 10:01 AM
i probably wouldnt try to oil anywhere near the jaws. Oil is a tough substance to get rid off.

aussie
01-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Actually silicone build up is a real pain. I've just strung a stick with Wilson NXT Tour which had that much silicone it coated my fingers with it while handling it. Had to wash my hands a couple of times while stringing and was that concerned about the gripper slipping that I cleaned the gripper with methylated spirits before I strung the mains and then again before I strung the crosses. I normailly sand the clamps after 6 string jobs and clean the gripper jaws after 3 string jobs.

max
01-09-2007, 05:45 AM
I would think rubbing alcohol and the sandpaper would quickly take care of things.