PDA

View Full Version : Increase tension doing nearly notthing

aroddick
01-05-2007, 05:51 PM
if you place your tennis racquets outside in the cold, it should atleast increase in the smallest bit of tension, so if you continue doing it everyday, your tension loss should go down slow,

if you didnt understand read this --

I play a few sets. And i have string savers on. And I use a biphase, and i dont want my tension to go down quicly, placing it in the cold should slow it down a little. will placing it in the cold hurt the racket?

DOES THE COLD HURT THE RACKET IN ANYWAY?
SO THE COLD TIGHTEN THE STRINGS A LITTLE, EVEN A LITTLE?

Kevo
01-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Nope, ain't gonna matter. Hitting with the strings will do far more to decrease the tension than what happens by the racquet sitting idle. The cold may make the strings less stretchy, but once you start hitting they start losing tension. Some strings are better at holding tension than others though, so maybe you could use a better string?

diredesire
01-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but you're really looking at the wrong aspect of string tension and overall play, IMO. If you think about the inside pressure of a ball, it is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas inside the ball (if you use the ideal gas law, for instance). The pressure inside a ball when the weather/temperature is cold/low means that the ball will rebound less when struck. This causes people to actually drop tension a little bit to get the same amount/type of play. As far as your situation, I suggest not thinking about it so much and go play!