PDA

View Full Version : Prince O3 tour- need crisp/ feel!

Mr Korny
01-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I have the prince 03 tour midsize, and I am finding that it is lacking feel. When I hit the ball, I just cannot tell where the ball meets the racket. Is there any string setup that will help that? Something that would make it seem more crisp, and add more feel would be great. any ideas?

downey stringing master
01-07-2007, 12:49 PM
pro hurricane tour at 60 or 62 works wonders

Redflea
01-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I had the same response you are to the tour...made me feel completely isolated from the ball when I hit w/it.

HOwever, I have heard you can change the grommet on the Tour to improve feel...check on TWs pages, or maybe ask in the Racquet forum.

techietennis
01-08-2007, 06:29 AM
...replacing the factory grommet with the O3 White hard grommet ($5@ TW or $14@Prince).

...place some lead tape at 3 & 9 or 2 & 10 depending on your preference. This will give you more head balance during your stroke and help you hit thru the ball easier. It will slow down your swing a little. How much tape is really up to you and you should experiment with it over a few weeks.

...I have gone to a two piece string job rather than a single 17 ga NRG2@60#. The touch is less muted, but you will again have to experiment with what tension gives you the desired feel versus shot choice.

The Tour is a great racquet to experiment on. It is not intended to be hit with as is out of the bag. The choices of what you want in a racquet are too numerous to list as are the variations you can use to achieve the results you want.

fuzz nation
01-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Our personal definitions of crispness may differ, but I get that feeling for myself with Laserfibre Laserlite in 17 ga. It's a good offering of synthetic gut and I'm really hooked on it--the feel/crispness even seem superior to the same string in 16 ga.

jackson vile
01-08-2007, 09:53 AM
I have the prince 03 tour midsize, and I am finding that it is lacking feel. When I hit the ball, I just cannot tell where the ball meets the racket. Is there any string setup that will help that? Something that would make it seem more crisp, and add more feel would be great. any ideas?

I recomend that you add lead at 12 o'clock and out with this racket, as for string I would look to crisp guts ie legend and armourpro.

You could also try stringing a super soft mutli at high tension, the demo I got came with the prince soft something or another w/duraflex and was strung on the higher side, played perfect for 1 week then went to total crap

I wanted to try kevlar in this racket also

Valjean
01-08-2007, 10:08 AM
What string did you buy with it, first off?

travlerajm
01-08-2007, 12:53 PM
You may want to check to make sure it is not a midplus mislabeled as a mid.

I say this because there was a large batch of mislabled midplus's that somehow made it into circulation. There are many of these mislabeled frames hanging on pro shop walls. The midplus is much less crisp than the mid, and IMO it is an inferior racquet to the re-engineered mid version.

Jonnyf
01-08-2007, 01:02 PM

I say this because there was a large batch of mislabled midplus's that somehow made it into circulation. There are many of these mislabeled frames hanging on pro shop walls. The midplus is much less crisp than the mid, and IMO it is an inferior racquet to the re-engineered mid version.

Noo i have a Mid+, i was hoping you were posting here telling us a secret lead technique which is why i was looking forward to it.!

jackson vile
01-09-2007, 08:23 AM

Are you refering the the originals that were labled as midsize+?

But yes huge difference, personaly I thought the MP played a lot better

Mr Korny
01-09-2007, 05:45 PM
first of all, I'm not really interested in adding tape...
The reason why I got this racket is because my old one was too heavy and was causing me wrist strains.

I was thinking of this as my next string-up-

Prince Topspin 15L w/ duraflex on the mains at 62,
and SPP HEXtreme on the crosses at 60.

By the way, I string my own rackets and am a supers ranked junior in Texas Boys 18's