PDA

View Full Version : Soft Strings, Stiff Racquet

Final_Match_Point
01-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Im currently in the process of getting a Pure drive Roddick, which is fairly stiff (71) The demo strings are the Wilson Sensation 17s, @ 60lbs (Im guessing with T-W demo practices) I usually hit with a gut/poly hybrid, but I might move towards a softer strong.

Im trying for strings that arent powerful but are spin friendly, and arm friendly. Lets just say cost isnt a big factor, because I usually dont break.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Tour 90
01-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Try tecnifibre nrg2 @ about 56-58 pounds. you can't really take the stiffness away from a racquet though. good luck!

oscar_2424
01-07-2007, 04:34 PM
try wilson nxt or babolat xcel

aroddick
01-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Im currently in the process of getting a Pure drive Roddick, which is fairly stiff (71) The demo strings are the Wilson Sensation 17s, @ 60lbs (Im guessing with T-W demo practices) I usually hit with a gut/poly hybrid, but I might move towards a softer strong.

Im trying for strings that arent powerful, spin friendly, and arm friendly. Lets just say cost isnt a big factor, because I usually dont break.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

did you just say, "Im trying for string that ARENT....."

if you didnt mean to, DUDE YOU MUST TRY BIPHASE. This string just BLEW me away at the first stroke. Roger Fed control, Roddick power. Control, power ,and comfort are 200%.

Spin is 90%, I use a topspin-slice serve, and i get a kick on the serve like a topspin serve, and i get a very good side spin, and the ball moves away from the court.

This string just felt right about everything. I am soo scared to play with it, because i dont want to even have a little fray on it. I strung it at 58, with string savers.

WOW, Biphase is the best MULTI is ever tired. I love multies, and try a lot of multi's before and i am wondering why i didnt come across this before. My serves are so much BETTER with this string. this string is worth every single penny of it. I am way better than NXT, better than NRG2. if dont want to spend the 14.50 yet, so for NRG2, then you cannot resist trying this. I use a 16, and i get plenty of spin. next time if will stock of on this string. LOVE IT SOOO MUCH. JUST BLEW ME AWAY. and i am 100% sure this will blow you away. Every thing is just right about this string.

I love it soo much. AMAZING string, JUST TRY IT YOURSELF. forget the money, after you try it, you will know what i mean, and you will know this is worth the money. I have elbow problems so after a session of tennis with NXT, my elbow would hurt a little. But with BIphase NO PAIN AT ALLLLL!!!!!

this string is listed in most of the categories in the string finder.

WANT MORE, i can keep writing, until i convince you. MUST TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheSnowMan
01-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Tecnifiber X-1 Biphase might be a problem because he wants less power... but you can always string higher.

aroddick
01-07-2007, 05:20 PM
just string is higher in tension

bruce nissenbaum
01-07-2007, 06:30 PM
For your consideration: Head Rip Control 17 strung at mid + 2#.

bad_call
01-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Tecnifiber X-1 Biphase might be a problem because he wants less power... but you can always string higher.

but stringing higher is gonna make it stiffer. i like Tec's strings but i think the Biphase might be too powerful. maybe Tec Multifeel in the mains for comfort and Head Fibergel in the crosses for spin.

Midlife crisis
01-07-2007, 10:02 PM
My 13 year old son uses a PDR+ with Gosen Polyon SP 17 strung at 48 lbs on a lockout machine. The Polyon SP 17 is the sixth softest poly tested by the USRSA, softer than many synthetic gut strings using the reference test.

At 48 pounds tension, and with the mass of the racquet, this combination is soft enough that I have no qualms about letting my son use it even though I'm pretty protective of his joint health. He's a pretty large kid, about 5'6" and 140 pounds, and that also helps ease my concerns.

This combo is pretty low powered and very easy to generate spin with. It's also cheap enough that you can experiment with it and if it doesn't prove arm friendly enough for you, you aren't going to be out of lot of money, especially if you do your own stringing.

Bottle Rocket
01-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Im trying for strings that arent powerful, spin friendly, and arm friendly. Lets just say cost isnt a big factor, because I usually dont break.

I think buying a Pure Drive Roddick and then going in search for strings that aren't powerful is where the problems begin. Enough said.

Anyway, I've found that any standard issue synthetic gut at 62 lbs does play fairly well. It keeps everything in check. Spin is ridiculous, regardless of string, and the synthetic gut keeps it safer for your arm.

I've been using a $30 reel of Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16 gauge in mine.

All Babolats are really good on strings and durability, even with tremendous top spin.

If you want great spin and a lower power level, try Luxilon Original or Signum Pro Poly Plasma. I would string them no higher than 55 lbs.

Final_Match_Point
01-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Double Post Edit

Final_Match_Point
01-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Im also looking for comfort. So I was thinking of trying a 16 guage alu power with a 15 guage nat gut. Anyone try this setup yet?

Oh and I also meant Not powerful, But spin and arm friendly. I was kind of tired when I wrote it. Sorry for the confusion

IT WAS IN!!!
01-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Luxilon Ace 18 is like alu but less power alu has the most power of any string
i recommend putting Tecnifibre X-One Biphase in the crosses but if you can afford it Babolat VS Team gut

Final_Match_Point
01-08-2007, 01:45 PM
I thought alu power was just slightly powerful for a poly

bagung
01-08-2007, 05:24 PM
stiff racquet , soft string = dnx8 , klip venom

ssjkyle31
01-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Natural Gut all the way if price is not an object.

Final_Match_Point
01-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Im worried about nat g ut giving too much power and not enough spin though...

ssjkyle31
01-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Right now I using my current setup just because I wanted to try something different and I string my own rackets now. Just remmeber to string the rackets a little higher than the usually. Wilson NXT might be a good choice also.

s.sharm01
01-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Alright well i have the pure drive + which is similar to the AR... AR is a lil bit heavier, but stiffness is almost the same.
My set-up:

pro hurricane 17G - 62 MAINS
syn Gut 16G - 62 CROSSES

the tension is high but in terms of hurting my arm, not much damage. My elbow did hurt the first time i picked it up. but i went out the next day and played again, and it felt fine. there wasn't much of a problem. I play with it 4 times out of the weeks and no prob here. Oh as for my muscle built to deal with the arm problems that may rise. My arms are preety small, so i don't think it is a real prob stringing around 62...

Final_Match_Point
01-09-2007, 12:03 PM
hmm im kinda wary of phurri

jcstennis
01-09-2007, 09:20 PM
i love Tecnifibre NRG2 17g... medium-ish power, good spin... and if you're not a string breaker, this is good stuff.