PDA

View Full Version : Learning from self video Bill

JohnThomas1
08-21-2004, 11:13 PM
I am thinking seriously of having a guy video my game soon. I have a reasonable knowledge of the shots and think it would be great value for me. Nothing like seeing yourself i am thinking. What do you think? I might send ya one! It kills me that i haven't the knowledge and resources to put some clips on here for you to critique, from what i have seen of your posts about other clips i could learn soooo much. The unfortunate thing is that you could help my tennis game so much more than the coaches we have around here. They are ok but really don't have the depth of knowledge that you do. I went to a couple and took the best of what i could from them. Two of them pointed out my right foot was getting too far in front of my left when hitting the open stance forehand so i sure took that on board. A couple also said my extension thru the ball was a bit poor and i was a bit wristy so i tightened up the wrist a bit which was good. They all improved my footwork on the volley. Not much was changed on my serve. My slice backhand still floats, no-one has been able to fix it lol. I might go back to Gladstone (100km away) and see the first guy i went to for a perusal again, he's had some top players and i enjoyed our lesson about a year ago. Anyways i am really thinking of a video lesson, what is your take? :)

Cypo
08-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Good Question !

I have a video of myself which I don't want to post (hey, I know I look like Mauresmo, I don't need to hear about it from Topspin :--)).

Are there specific points you look at when you evaluate a video ? Would the points vary depending on the level of the player ?

Bungalo Bill
08-21-2004, 11:25 PM
I think it is great! John Yandell and I were just talking about that today. Video taping is an excellent way for you to "see yourself".

In fact, a coach can be telling a student for months that he is doing a certain something he shouldnt. Then we the player finally "sees" themselves doing the wrong thing on tape, the brain learns and the problem usually goes away.

Put it up for us to see, if you're not comfortable with that you can always send it to me by email. If the slice is what you want, then lets see it!

JohnThomas1
08-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Goodness wow. I'll see our coach here about doing a vid lesson and send it :)