PDA

View Full Version : Drop weight question

jb193
01-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Whenever I string my racquet, I find myself having to re-grip the string to get the optimum level for my drop weight bar, thereby stretching the string considerably. However, sometimes when I string, I do get the amount of slack correct and only have to drop it once. This concerns me because I think I may be creating an inconsistent string bed because I have noticed some racquets of mine not being that consistent in regards to string tension. So, is it best to to be in the frame of mind to drop the weight twice no matter what, to attain the desired consistency? I only have strung about 6 racquets so far and I only use Prince original synthetic gut...........

Mr Harharwood
01-08-2007, 04:54 PM
When I strung on a drop weight, on the first lift I would go up about 3/4 of the way, then let it down and when the bar almost gets to the bottom continue to keep tension on the string and then raise the bar for a second lift. You'll develope a feel for the second lift so when you lay it down it will hit horizontal almost everytime.

So your ok with the two lift method as long as when you go for the second lift, your not losing any tension from the first lift. Does that make sense?

aussie
01-08-2007, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about the number of times you need to drop the bar. I generally take between 1 to 3 times to get the bar to the final near horizontal position. When the bar does rest in the correct position, whether that is on the first or the third time, I let it rest for about 5 seconds before clamping. The stringbed seems to have a uniform tension and stringmeter confirms it.

jbs24
01-08-2007, 05:46 PM
string stretch depends on time and tension. if you have to readjust, you didn't reach the max tension, and it only take a second or two to adjust. As long as you're not taking 2-3 times longer to readjust the string, you'll have consistent string tensions.

T.J. Planas
01-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Does your drop weight have a clutch that allows you to rotate the string gripper to the correct position to get the bar to horizontal without having to lift the bar all the way up? If so, learning how to use that feature with a little practice will get you consistent results.

jb193
01-09-2007, 06:11 AM
I have a Klippermate, so I don't really know about the "clutch" you are referring to. There is a whole near the string gripper that performs some function when it rotates, so that may be a "clutch", I am not sure however. Anyway, thanks everybody for all your feedback.