PDA

View Full Version : string in ncode 6.1 tour 90

EricW
01-08-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm just wondering what string(s) people use in their ncode 6.1 tour 90 and what tension, how it plays, etc. Thanks

I personally just use 16 guage princer syngut at 57 but im wondering what other people use, never know what you're missing..

Also if anyone put any lead and found it successful, please share that too

timm
01-09-2007, 02:38 AM
I use alu power rough on the mains and nxt tour on the crosses with the mains strung at 55 and crosses at 53

[ GTR ]
01-09-2007, 03:23 AM
Luxilon Zolo Rough and Alu rough both 16L @55lbs/25kg. I get a lot of spin, control and power.

nickb
01-09-2007, 09:01 AM
At the moment im using NXT tour mains at 63 lbs and babaolat tour duralast crosses at 64 lbs on 2 rackets and syn gut duraflex 17 at 64 on the other 2.

jasonbourne
01-09-2007, 09:05 AM
EricW, I found the following two hybrids the best so far from my experimentations.

Gosen Polylon SP 17g (52) / Klipper Zyex 17g (56)
Pro Supex Big Ace 17g (52) / Klipper Zyex 17g (56)

Both setups are comfortable, excellent spin, great ball placement from the baseline, and average feel.

I currently have Gosen Micro 16g (54/56). This setup has better feel for drop shots from baseline and at net. Also, better volley control. However, my spin and consistency is less compared to the hybrids above.

My subsequent string jobs will consist of Zyex mains and different polys in the crosses to get the benefits of the two hybrids above, plus the feel I need at net. I expect less durability though. But if I like it, then I will upgrade the mains with Klip Armour Pro and try different poly crosses.

Tour 90
01-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I use Luxilon alu power at 57 and PSG original at 57

nickb
01-09-2007, 10:18 PM
How long does that setup last you tour 90? Wouldve thought its a waste of the ALU power as the synthetic gut will snap in no time. Do you string for yourself?

psamp14
01-09-2007, 10:25 PM
i've been wanting to experiment with the luxilon big banger alu power rough 16s and the gosen sheep something that i've heard is really good...but i've been going nxt tour 16s since i got my ncodes...it'll be 2 years by summer 2k7 playing on only this one string....and its great :)

looseswing
01-10-2007, 10:41 AM
I've tried the gut (vs) mains and alu rough combo. Played like gold, broke very quickly too. Now I just use alpha gut 2000, sometimes with SPPP on the crosses sometimes just a full job of the alpha.

jasonbourne
01-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I've tried the gut (vs) mains and alu rough combo. Played like gold, broke very quickly too. Now I just use alpha gut 2000, sometimes with SPPP on the crosses sometimes just a full job of the alpha.

looseswing, how many hours is "very quickly"?

Alpha gut 2000 breaks under 4hrs as a cross coupled with Lux BB mains from my experience. I wonder if you're finding higher durability of the alpha gut 2000 (hybrid or not) over VS gut.

What is your style of game?

looseswing
01-10-2007, 01:51 PM
I play an allcourt game, with an eastern/semi western forehand, at 4.0 level. I had a similar experience with the alpha gut. For the gut it broke after about twenty hours, or a little over a week. I guess it wasn't right for me to say a short while, because that is relative to me only and I am not a string breaker. For reference I break a fully job of PSGD in about a month of playing (usually ten hours a week).

nickb
01-11-2007, 05:34 AM
Just switched to ALU in my n90's and will definatly be staying with it. Amazing string!

jasonbourne
01-11-2007, 08:40 AM
nickb, that string at that tension seems harsh to me.

What do you like about this setup that you disliked in others?

EricW
01-13-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm gonna go to my local proshop in a few days and get some of the strings mentioned, plus some others. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Any others?

BTW why does everyone use hybrids? What's the point?

Also what type of string is nxt tour? What are the advantages, disadvantages?
Also:

I use alu power rough on the mains and nxt tour on the crosses with the mains strung at 55 and crosses at 53

Why different tensions in crosses and mains sometimes?

paulfreda
01-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Eric
Not everyone uses hybrids. But many of the pros do.

As for tension, the mains strings are longer than the cross strings so to even out the physics of tension vs length and make the sweet spot more evenly circular, the crosses are strung 1-3 lbs looser than the mains.

timm
01-14-2007, 04:39 AM
BTW why does everyone use hybrids? What's the point?

Also what type of string is nxt tour? What are the advantages, disadvantages?

i guess using hybrids give you more of a mixed type of racquet like durabilty with spin and feel somethin like that, like alu power gives me durability and makes it feel more solid and nxt tour gives me spin, feel and control. i might not be completely right but thats wat i think.
nxt tour is a synthetic string which feels like natural gut or so they say...

nickb
01-14-2007, 05:42 AM
"nickb, that string at that tension seems harsh to me.

What do you like about this setup that you disliked in others?"

I just liked to feel of the string, it gave me so much spin and control. I thought i would hate the string especially for volleys but the string felt crisp and controlled. I have never hit a heavier ball. About the tension it didnt feel harsh at all, i usually string them at 63/64 and above and have strung poly above 60 in the past. The string has lost tension anyway so its spot on now. I think the n90 feels good with just about any string epecially syn gut mains and poly crosses but will be sticking with full ALU.

Nick

jasonbourne
01-14-2007, 05:53 AM
Nick, thanks for responding.

I tried poly mains (cyberflash 17g @52lbs) and syngut crosses (og micro 16g @56lbs). The playability did not last more than 8hrs. The feel and power was too low. I preferred using a multi cross (zyex) over it.

I will try your idea of syngut mains and poly crosses sometime because currently I have multi mains and poly cross and I like it. I only have 2hrs with it and look forward to determine its length of playability and durability.

EricW
01-28-2007, 02:54 PM
How long does an ALU rough mains/Synthetic Gut(Like Gosen Sheep Micro 16) combo last?

Tour 90
01-28-2007, 03:34 PM
How long does that setup last you tour 90? Wouldve thought its a waste of the ALU power as the synthetic gut will snap in no time. Do you string for yourself?

The strings will last a little longer than you would think because the luxilon is always in a different place and it doesn't set into a groove like multis will. It usually lasts about a week but I get the alu for a good price (9.00 per pack!) and I can string two racquets with one pack which makes it only 4.50 per week. Yes I do string my own racquets so that cuts off about 20.00 per string job (my clubs stringers were uber expensive) so I'm content with the cost to me. Don't think I'll be changing my setups anytime soon though!

EricW
01-28-2007, 03:38 PM
The strings will last a little longer than you would think because the luxilon is always in a different place and it doesn't set into a groove like multis will. It usually lasts about a week but I get the alu for a good price (9.00 per pack!) and I can string two racquets with one pack which makes it only 4.50 per week. Yes I do string my own racquets so that cuts off about 20.00 per string job (my clubs stringers were uber expensive) so I'm content with the cost to me. Don't think I'll be changing my setups anytime soon though!

Where do you get it for $9 a pack? And why can't you use that pack and string 4 racquets? 40 feet, 10 feet for each racquet because you're always stringing in just the mains

Tour 90
01-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Get it from a guy a know at a pro shop that I go to frequently ;)

It takes a little more than 2/3 of a pack to string two of my racquets so the leftover usually doesn't have quite enough length for another job. Every once in a while I'll get 3 jobs from one set but thats just when the knots are super small. One time they came undone after a hard hit so I only do 2 racquets with a pack and its still very affordable.

nickb
01-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Ive been trying out different string setups lately heres my list:

ALU Power
ALU Rough
Full 17g synthetic
Full Polyspin
NXT Tour
NXT Max
Synthetic mains, poly crosses
Poly mains synthetic crosses
and a few more..

I have now settled on NXT tour 16g @62lbs: really great feel, good power, good spin and really close to gut imo. Only problem is excessive string movement but i am gonna get some stringsavers which may help

Nick

Tour 90
01-29-2007, 12:27 PM

ALU Power
ALU Rough
Full 17g synthetic
Full Polyspin
NXT Tour
NXT Max
and a few more..

I have now settled on NXT tour 16g @62lbs: really great feel, good power, good spin and really close to gut imo. Only problem is excessive string movement but i am gonna get some stringsavers which may help

Nick

Funny you should say that, I actually like some movement because then they don't wear through each other as much and it doesn't break as quickly either. I'm probably just weird though.

EricW
01-30-2007, 05:31 PM
People who do the ALU rough in mains, OG Sheep or the like in crosses-- What tensions do you do both of them? What would your tension be if you did a full synthetic gut job?

J011yroger
02-04-2007, 06:57 AM
I use full ALU rough, vary tension between 56-64 depending on who I play and what the weather is like. Lasts about 2 hours, it is godly for the first hour, and ok for the 2nd, even if it doesn't break in the 2 hours it is whupped.

J

nickb
02-04-2007, 07:03 AM
You break ALU in 2 hours....something must be wrong

TalkingTennis91
02-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Well, as I'm sure that many of you nCode 90 users already know, if you're not using an extreme Western crazy insane too much topspin grip, and towards the sweetspot consistently, strings don't break very frequently.

This is my setup:

M: Babolat VS Gut 16 @ 56 lbs
C: Luxilon ALU Power Rough @ 54 lbs

I find myself switching to a fresh racquet because of tension loss, rather than broken strings.

Cheers!

TalkingTennis91
02-04-2007, 08:33 AM
I use full ALU rough, vary tension between 56-64 depending on who I play and what the weather is like. Lasts about 2 hours, it is godly for the first hour, and ok for the 2nd, even if it doesn't break in the 2 hours it is whupped.

J

How in the name of all that is Holy do you break ALU rough in 2 hours?

J011yroger
02-04-2007, 05:16 PM
You break ALU in 2 hours....something must be wrong

Yea...this green stuff keeps dissapearing from my wallet...that is whats wrong.

jackson vile
02-05-2007, 10:01 AM

ALU Power
ALU Rough
Full 17g synthetic
Full Polyspin
NXT Tour
NXT Max
and a few more..

Nick

You could always try the Yonex 850 spin and non spin for the mains, and then use the NXT OS for the crosses, have you tried the NXT OS?