PDA

View Full Version : stringsavers = loose

Squid
01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
is it possible for stringsavers to make a racket looser than tighter? i had an experience in my redondo mid strung with x-one biphase and the string savers made the racket feel like it was at a wayyyy lower tension. how is this possible? i thought it would be tighter if anything?

Steve Huff
01-08-2007, 09:49 PM
It does. Only exception I can think of is if you accidentally broke a string and didn't notice, or you strung looser anticipating a tighter stringjob.

Squid
01-08-2007, 10:52 PM
hmmm well i had it strung by TW and when i first used it, it was very tight, then after a few sessions i broke it in and saw that the strings were moving, thus causing me to want to use string savers. After inserting them, i played with it and it felt extremely loose, possibly 5-8 lbs looser. the night after, i took them out and the string bed tightend up once again.

Kevo
01-09-2007, 07:31 AM
That is odd, and it also defies logic. However, maybe it had something to do with string movement changing the feel.

SteveI
01-09-2007, 11:06 AM
That is odd, and it also defies logic. However, maybe it had something to do with string movement changing the feel.

Kevo and Steve Huff,

Hi guys.. seems to me that it would be the other way around. Adding the string savers would seem to make it tighter based on my limited logic on this subject. Steve..can you explain your thinking on this one. Many things in tennis and physics seem to be just the opposite until you look at the science. I am of course not saying you are wrong.. I have no experience to support that using string savers would make the stringbed looser or tighter. Thanks Steve...How is the Fischer 105? Are you using the lighter one or the 12 plus oz one?

Many people still think that string the frame at a higher tension provides more power.. :-)

Regards,
Steve

aroddick
01-09-2007, 11:19 AM
I put A LOT OF string savers n my new X biphase. I didnt notice anything like yours. I have the PING sound.

Your string job must have been done wrong.

HERE IS THE LIKELY EXPLANATION. -------------

If your tension was 60 lb, take 10% of that. so the tension is 54.

BIPHASE LOSES 10% OVERNIGHT. SO THERE YOU GO

aroddick
01-09-2007, 11:20 AM
What Is The Tension You Strung It At????????????????

well its not loose anymore, so whats the problem

fastdunn
01-09-2007, 03:17 PM
How about the weather ? What were the temperatures of each day you
played ?

Squid
01-09-2007, 06:57 PM
it was strung at 68, then i had it sit overnight, and it was still the same tension when i first got it.

it was only after i put in the stringsavers did it feel looser. and then when i took them out, the strings felt tighter again.

so it cant be tension loss.

its not that theres a problem. just curious.

and the weather was pretty constant over those days.

Steve Huff
01-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Well, there are a couple of reasons.
1. By inserting the string-savers, you stretch the string tighter as it has to go around the string saver itself.
2. There's a small area at each intersection where there's a string saver that isn't free to move as much. It's wedged into the string saver. If there's less string to stretch, then it should feel tighter.

SteveI
01-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Well, there are a couple of reasons.
1. By inserting the string-savers, you stretch the string tighter as it has to go around the string saver itself.
2. There's a small area at each intersection where there's a string saver that isn't free to move as much. It's wedged into the string saver. If there's less string to stretch, then it should feel tighter.

Steve,

Now that makes sense.. so you are taking us some space and making the overall stringbed feel "firmer" or tighter. Thanks Steve..

Regards,
Steve