PDA

View Full Version : Starting Clamp, Is it needed with Flying Clamps?

ccelis
01-09-2007, 05:22 AM
Just wonder if a starting clamp is beneficial tool to have, for back-up when tensioning the mains when using Flying Clamps. Is this a tool I should just get to have in case of emergency or are there alot of cases that I might use it?

Thanks

Nuke
01-09-2007, 06:02 AM
I don't think a starting clamp is ever an absolute necessity, but it's a nice-to-have for some situations, like when you come up short pulling that last cross string. I get by OK without one, and I'll bet a lot of other home stringers do, too.

predrag
01-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Just wonder if a starting clamp is beneficial tool to have, for back-up when tensioning the mains when using Flying Clamps. Is this a tool I should just get to have in case of emergency or are there alot of cases that I might use it?

Thanks

Actually, you can string without it even when you have flying clamps.
However, there are few situations when starting clamp is useful.

Regards, Predrag

ccelis
01-09-2007, 06:52 AM
I don't think a starting clamp is ever an absolute necessity, but it's a nice-to-have for some situations, like when you come up short pulling that last cross string. I get by OK without one, and I'll bet a lot of other home stringers do, too.

Thanks for the feedback, I just wasn't sure if was necessary to backup the flying clamps when tensioning the first few mains , like on a fixed clamp machine or when starting the crosses.

eunjam
01-09-2007, 12:48 PM
starting clamp can easily be likened to a 6 point mount, and fixed clamps.

it's absolutely unnecessary to string a racket.....but it's sooooooo damn nice to have.