PDA

View Full Version : The best stringing machine for a beginner

Tennis Man
01-09-2007, 06:19 AM
I want to start stringing my frames myself, just never thought of it before :).

What would be the best, easy to learn but not very expensive machine. I don't know much about stringing machines.

Nuke
01-09-2007, 07:25 AM
For a beginner, not much money, only stringing a small number of racquets, a dropweight machine with flying clamps is usually the way to go. The Gamma X-2 and the Klippermate are probably the ones that get the most talk here. The Alpha String Pal has also been mentioned a lot, but I haven't seen too much feedback from folks who actually have one. For a little bit more money, the Silent Partner Swing has lots of fans here (including me). You should perform a search on these boards and see what's already here, as this question gets asked practically every month.

Tennis Man
01-09-2007, 07:57 AM
For a beginner, not much money, only stringing a small number of racquets, a dropweight machine with flying clamps is usually the way to go. The Gamma X-2 and the Klippermate are probably the ones that get the most talk here. The Alpha String Pal has also been mentioned a lot, but I haven't seen too much feedback from folks who actually have one. For a little bit more money, the Silent Partner Swing has lots of fans here (including me). You should perform a search on these boards and see what's already here, as this question gets asked practically every month.

Nuke, ty for the feedback but could you include some prices ranges. As I said, I don't know much about stringing machines at all. What are the electronic machines like as compared to dropweight? Are they both accurate to measuring the tension and stuff?

ccelis
01-09-2007, 07:57 AM
I want to start stringing my frames myself, just never thought of it before :).

What would be the best, easy to learn but not very expensive machine. I don't know much about stringing machines.

Rafaello

I agree with Nuke, I have an SP Swing and it is a great machine and Silent Partner has great customer service. Check the for sale section, you may be able to find a stringer for sale.

raiden031
01-09-2007, 08:01 AM
I got a klippermate (~$140) a few months ago and have strung about 10 racquets to date. It is great for someone who doesn't string that often and wasn't sure whether they want to invest alot of money. Although there are machines that get the job done faster, but you pay way more. Right now my average string job is about 1 hour, but they say the klippermate can do a racquet in as little as 30 mins. All of my string jobs turned out flawless, minus the 1 or 2 that I botched part way through and had to start over.

VGP
01-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Rafaello - with all your recent racket purchases, I'm surprised that you don't already have a stringing machine.

Nuke
01-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Nuke, ty for the feedback but could you include some prices ranges. As I said, I don't know much about stringing machines at all. What are the electronic machines like as compared to dropweight? Are they both accurate to measuring the tension and stuff?

Rafaello, the String Pal is about $120, the Klippermate and the X-2 are about $140, and the Swing is $200. There's also the ATS Super Stringer, which is nearly identical to the X-2 and just about the same price.

You pay more for an electronic machine, but they generally make stringing faster and more consistent. That's good if you want to sting racquets as a business, but it sounded like you were just stringing for yourself and price was a consideration. The dropweight machines can be very accurate if you are careful, and stringing a racquet will take about an hour after you know what you are doing (only takes a few jobs to get going).

Resist the urge to buy the cheapest electronic machines, as there have been reports that the tension can vary widely with those. The dropweight tension is regulated by gravity, and that hasn't changed much in the recent past, so dropweight machines always keep the same accuracy. Electronics can be fussy and change over long periods of time, so you have to calibrate them periodically.

Another option to consider is crank machines. Lots of folks move up to cranks for the convenience if they find they are stringing more and more frames.

Tennis Man
01-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Is this a good source?

http://www.stringforum.net/mforum.php

So the best you recommend are:
Klippermate $140 (retail)
Alpha String Pal $110 (retail)
Gamma X-2 $140 (retail)
Silent Partner Swing $200 (retail)
ATS Super Stringer $134 (retail)

And which one is the most comfortable and fast?

Gugafan_Redux
01-09-2007, 11:27 AM
OP, I started with your question, in the same position, 2 or 3 weeks ago. I've never strung a stick before. I read a ton of posts here and visited photostringer.com and atssports and midw*est, etc. My Gamma X-2 should arrive this week.

Tennis Man
01-09-2007, 11:30 AM
OP, I started with your question, in the same position, 2 or 3 weeks ago. I've never strung a stick before. I read a ton of posts here and visited photostringer.com and atssports and midw*est, etc. My Gamma X-2 should arrive this week.

Thanks... you just forgot to mention what made you decide on X-2 and not e.Stringer or something else?

eunjam
01-09-2007, 11:40 AM
my response....is any machine is good for a beginner.

but make sure you use an old racket or two with some super cheap strings.

even make a challenge for yourself and use a racket with shared holes.

string the racket about 3 or 4 times....and then BOOM.

you will have the courage and experience to take on anything....except maybe those prince o-ports.

it definitely takes a little time to learn at first, yet you don't need to be a rocket scientist.

it's fun too.

good luck!

meh
01-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Do yourself a favor, and at least get a dropweight with fixed clamps. Rafaello, you seem to have no qualms over spending money on tennis, so I would recommend you splurge and buy a nice electronic machine, like the Silent Partner Opus ($1599). If you squint, then sometimes you can pick up good crank machines secondhand for decent prices, as members Varuscelli and jonolau have.

VGP
01-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Alpha Pioneer DC or Revo 4000 (can add a 2086 Professional Tennis Head).