PDA

View Full Version : One *size* fits all string for multiple clients

John C
01-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Stringing for friends at the club who can afford any string they want but are basically cheapskates and more or less have the attitude that it's the player, not the string that matters. So, am looking for all around general string in the $5 range that can be all things to all players. Thinking PSGD or OG sheep micro by the reel.

Any words of wisdom from the commercial stringers?

downey stringing master
01-09-2007, 09:02 AM
sppp 17 is durable good feel etc cheap and they will love the color simple

raiden031
01-09-2007, 09:13 AM
I bought a 660' reel of some string for $25, talk about cheap. The guys are right. Why waste your money on something that will not even make that much of a difference. If they are just playing recreationally and not trying to win championships, then the expensive strings are not worth the money.

rod_b
01-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Here are some decent choices depending on if some of your clients are into "name brand" string. These are all syn guts though. There are some pretty good deals on some polys also.

Based on TW prices for 660':
Babolat Super Fine Play - $40 (~6 cents/ft)
Gosen OG Micro [not Sheep Micro] - $30 (~5 cents/ft)
Prince Syn Gut w/Duraflex - $62 (~9 cents/ft)
Wilson Stamina - $58 (~9 cents/ft)

I always stock a reel of PSGD since most players I string for are familiar and comfortable with Prince strings. Gosen is gonna probably be the cheapest "good" string.

aroddick
01-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Here are some decent choices depending on if some of your clients are into "name brand" string. These are all syn guts though. There are some pretty good deals on some polys also.

Based on TW prices for 660':
Babolat Super Fine Play - $40 (~6 cents/ft)
Gosen OG Micro [not Sheep Micro] - $30 (~5 cents/ft)
Prince Syn Gut w/Duraflex - $62 (~9 cents/ft)
Wilson Stamina - $58 (~9 cents/ft)

I always stock a reel of PSGD since most players I string for are familiar and comfortable with Prince strings. Gosen is gonna probably be the cheapest "good" string.

I SECOND THAT !!!!!!!!!!!

DANMAN
01-09-2007, 01:54 PM
I like stringing Sensation for those types of people and I string it for $15, the same as PSGD. People feel like they are getting a better string and deal, and they are to a certain extent if they want a softer string, but they also break them more and have to get the rackets strung more often. I do feel like Sensation is a very arm friendly string as well, so I think it is a fair deal.

Doc Hollidae
01-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Gosen OG Sheep Micro is prolly one of the best cheap strings out there. Great feel, however durability is another story. But for as cheap as it comes, durability isn't that much of an issue. Gosen Polyon isn't too bad either for the price.

John C
01-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Between the Gosen OG, Prince SGD and Wilson stamina, which do you think has the better durability? Playability?

meh
01-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Between the Gosen OG, Prince SGD and Wilson stamina, which do you think has the better durability? Playability?
Playability, Babolat Superfine Play has these three beat, as it's softer. As for durability, it's a toss up between PSGD and Stamina.

Valjean
01-09-2007, 06:20 PM
There's no apparent reason in what you've said to abandon Prince's *Original* Synthetic Gut, though--certainly a more playable string than any of the three you've said you're considering now...

theace21
01-09-2007, 06:55 PM

I don't carry Wilson Stamina, but between PSGD and Gosen OG - durability Prince, playability - Gosen. I do like the comment about Babalot SuperFine play. Nice soft string, if that is what you are looking for...

Steve Huff
01-09-2007, 08:13 PM
The "on package" durability rating shows Stamina 1/10 of a point more durable than PSGD, but I don't recall anything on G OG Micro. From personal experience, I think the PSGD is a little more durable than Stamina.

Kevo
01-09-2007, 08:24 PM
So far I like Ashaway Liberty the best for a cheap nylon. Soft and maintains tension well. It's $25 for 720'. Plus it's made in the USA if you care about such things. I must admit though that I haven't tried Babolat Super Fine Play, nor PSG Original in a long time.

goober
01-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I like stringing Sensation for those types of people and I string it for $15, the same as PSGD. People feel like they are getting a better string and deal, and they are to a certain extent if they want a softer string, but they also break them more and have to get the rackets strung more often. I do feel like Sensation is a very arm friendly string as well, so I think it is a fair deal.

That is a good deal. I broke two sets of Sensation 16 in less than 2 hours of play for which I paid $30 a string job. After losing $60 that quickly I decided then and there I would start stringing on my own.

Valjean
01-10-2007, 03:01 AM
Sensation is a notoriously frail string, too.

federer_nadal
01-10-2007, 04:49 AM
If you want to make business i suggest you get a string with low durability that plays well enough for them to like it and want it again and again. Personally i string in a small town and quality before business, i do a cheap restring with good strings, i still make money, not as much as the sports shops, they really rip us off in Aus. They sell unstrung Lux for 60au dollars and then charge 20 for stringing. I do a klip syn gut job with stringing for 20 dollars and still manage to make money on it. Im only 16 so i dont need to be pushing the limit. But i have gathered a good customer base of the top players in town and i am going well.

wksoh
02-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Yes, Liberty 16 if you're looking for softness.. so far so good for me ^^

Ljubicic for number1
02-25-2007, 12:48 PM
If you want to make business i suggest you get a string with low durability that plays well enough for them to like it and want it again and again. Personally i string in a small town and quality before business, i do a cheap restring with good strings, i still make money, not as much as the sports shops, they really rip us off in Aus. They sell unstrung Lux for 60au dollars and then charge 20 for stringing. I do a klip syn gut job with stringing for 20 dollars and still manage to make money on it. Im only 16 so i dont need to be pushing the limit. But i have gathered a good customer base of the top players in town and i am going well.

Sounds just like my situation.

barryb306
02-25-2007, 01:10 PM
youre only charging 15 dollars,

Stan
02-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Forten Sweet by the reel is hard to beat. Very nice playing basic synthetic. Nice touch and feel. Quality wise I would rate it as better playing than the Gosen OG Micro and the Stamina. Don't overlook this one!

tennis_nerd22
02-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Stringing for friends at the club who can afford any string they want but are basically cheapskates and more or less have the attitude that it's the player, not the string that matters. So, am looking for all around general string in the $5 range that can be all things to all players. Thinking PSGD or OG sheep micro by the reel.

Any words of wisdom from the commercial stringers?

im not a commercial stringer, but it would make the most sense to get a basic syn gut like gosen sheep like you said.

another option would be some of the cheaper co-poly's for those looking for a more control/durability string. the best one IMO would be Cyberflash for $5.75.

With cyberflash and gosen sheep, you cant go wrong

Rabbit
02-25-2007, 03:14 PM

Of all the suggestions I've read, this is the best. Sensation is overlooked a lot, but it is a great string when $'s are considered. I strung for a satellite event around here and the majority of the players, regardless of frame brand were using Sensation.

Valjean
02-27-2007, 12:56 PM
There's still Prince's Original Synthetic Gut out there; indeed, they brought it back into production after first thinking that their version with Duraflex could permanently replace it. And it even remains the USRSA's standard for solid-core, single-wrap synthetic gut string.

wksoh
02-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Yes, Liberty 16 if you're looking for softness.. so far so good for me ^^

After playing more with this string, found that multis still have more power... the price says it all.

travlerajm
02-27-2007, 06:21 PM
If you want to give your clients something that will surprise them with amazing bite, hook them up with some Gamma Fusion (19g Kevlar). Even though it's a Kevlar hybrid, it's more elastic than many 16g synth guts. String it about 4 lbs looser than you normally would for a 16g synth gut, and it will play with about the same softness as 16g synth gut, but with much much "bite" and control, and a little crisper. And because it's 19g, it will break fast enough to keep you in business.

TonyB
02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Even though it's a Kevlar hybrid, it's more elastic than many 16g synth guts. String it about 4 lbs looser than you normally would for a 16g synth gut, and it will play with about the same softness as 16g synth gut, but with much much "bite" and control, and a little crisper. And because it's 19g, it will break fast enough to keep you in business.

I'm a bit confused. Why would it need to be strung looser if it's more elastic?

travlerajm
02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm a bit confused. Why would it need to be strung looser if it's more elastic?

The thinner the gauge, the more it is stretched when you string it at a given tension. So a thinner gauge will feel a little stiffer unless you string it a little looser. Also, it's a Kevlar hybrid, and Kevlar is not that elastic normally, but Gamma Fusion 19 is elastic just because it is so thin.

jackson vile
02-28-2007, 09:59 AM
My votes go to
#1 Gosen Sheep Micro #2Yonex 850 Feel
#1 Klip Excellerator #2 Signum Pro Fiber
#1 Gosen Polylon #2 Topspin Cyber Flash

There are some other strings but I have yet to test them out and have others do the same.

For performance to price point it does not get any better, you are getting the uber performance but at the low end cost especially with reels.

IMO it is all about keeping the customer happy and having almost something for everyone. You don't ever want to have to turn a customer away or have a customer turned off because another string had higher quality strings.

As for strings and the people, sure maybe it does not matter and it is just the player.

But the thing is that has no relavance to any degree here, this is a free market place and if they don't like what you have they will go else where end of story.

So as long as they "feel" they are playing better then all is well.