PDA

View Full Version : Questions about how strings affect spin/drive through

Dunlopkid
01-09-2007, 10:16 AM
What string/hybrid out there provides the best spin? First off, let me say, I am not going to string full poly. So that's out.
Also, these strings that help produce massive spin--do they detract in any way from being able to drive through the ball? I'm not trying to hit some sort of loopy, crazy-spin ball. I just want to hit a very heavy ball. In other words, I want insane spin, but I don't want the balls landing in the service box. Is there a good string for this?

Dunlopkid
01-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Obviously, I realize most of it is technique.

dave333
01-09-2007, 02:37 PM
ashaway cross 18?

Dunlopkid
01-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Is that what you use?

Sagittar
01-09-2007, 03:02 PM
well i'm not a stringing expert at all , in fact i think my stringing abilities is the lowest in all my tennis skills , but from my readings i think that string type ofcourse affects the spin potential but that's in relation with whatever RACQUET you're using and what grip you're using also and what string pattern your stick has .. so long story short i think that every type of racquet has its suitable spin string ..
correct me if i am wrong, i am open to all suggestions ..

Kevo
01-09-2007, 08:36 PM
The answer is no. Strings will not give you insane spin. Good technique will give you good spin. I have gotten the best spin with thin stiff strings, but they are hard on your arm. To start with you might try one of the prepackaged hybrids that is available and see what you think. Several manufacturers make them. You could also try a thinner gauge synthetic gut or multi and see how you like that if you just want more spin. The main reason to go to a hybrid with poly is durability. Power reduction is also one of the main reasons people go to a stiff string.

markgoldin
01-10-2007, 12:26 PM
I am using http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACASH-XFIRE18.html on my Babolat Aero drive+. PLayed just once. I had probably my best game since dont remember when. My spin wasn't insane but the ball was noticebly spinning because my partner had problems returning my serves, slices, topspins due to the high spinning. Hopefully strings will stay without loosing for a while.
HTH

bruce nissenbaum
01-10-2007, 01:24 PM
For your consideration: Head Rip Control 17. It is the only string I've tried that I feel actually has some effect on spin beyond technique. For reference, I string it 60/62 on PSC 6.1 95.

fuzz nation
01-11-2007, 07:42 PM
My opinion: tight string of 16 ga or thinner on a stiffer frame to bite into the ball, or looser string of whatever gauge in a more flexible frame to extend dwell time and put more rpm's on the ball. Either case augments good technique.

Pusher
01-12-2007, 01:58 AM
What string/hybrid out there provides the best spin? First off, let me say, I am not going to string full poly. So that's out.
Also, these strings that help produce massive spin--do they detract in any way from being able to drive through the ball? I'm not trying to hit some sort of loopy, crazy-spin ball. I just want to hit a very heavy ball. In other words, I want insane spin, but I don't want the balls landing in the service box. Is there a good string for this?

Polys will reduce your power. That's one reason why I think so many people feel that polys increase spin-the slower pace allows the spin to be even more effective in bringing the ball down into the court. IMO, a truly heavy ball has good topspin AND pace and my best results have come with natural or synthetic gut (or a hybrid of the two).

I believe a good solid core synthetic would serve you well. Prince, Babolat, Gosen, Ashaway-they all make good synthetic gut.