PDA

View Full Version : Coaxing More Power Out of a Dunlop 200G

python
01-09-2007, 12:11 PM
I want to use a 16 gauge string and am looking to maximize power. I don't want to use natural gut for economy reasons. Can anyone suggest a string and a tension to try? I want to use a 16 gauge for durability's sake.

Thanks.

meh
01-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Natural gut mains, with synthetic gut crosses, will last you longer than any multifilament string on the market, if you take good care of it. It is definitely worth the cost.

Otherwise, try a powerful multifilament. I wouldn't go over $10 for this, because past this price point, the gut hybrid is a better deal.

FH2FH
01-12-2007, 12:24 PM
We can only make generalizations without knowing what string material or tension you've tried. Just use your normal string and drop the tension 3-5lbs at a time until the balls are landing where you want.

python
01-12-2007, 12:36 PM
I've used Dynamite 16, Alpha Gut 2000 16, and Klip Venom at varying tensions. I was just curious what everyone else's set up was.

Pusher
01-12-2007, 02:17 PM
I want to use a 16 gauge string and am looking to maximize power. I don't want to use natural gut for economy reasons. Can anyone suggest a string and a tension to try? I want to use a 16 gauge for durability's sake.

Thanks.

That racquet has some power limitations-like most with 18x20 stringbeds. I think you should reconsider the possibility of using a 17 gauge string. That stringbed is ideal for a thinner string.

The increase in power from a solid core synthetic to gut is not dramatic, IMO. I know some of the pros that hit 18X20 are using a 17 gauge Technifibre Bi-Phase but that's awful pricey (might as well use gut). In that type racquet I have used a 17 gauge synthetic gut main with an 18 gauge synthetic gut cross to good effect. Today I used Prince lightning XX 17ga in my Nblade98 and it had good power, maybe a little more than the cheaper synthetic guts. I may try the Lightning xx as mains with a cheaper synthetic as a cross.

I would try the 17 gauge synthetic gut at midrange. I doubt you will find any other string that will give you enough increase in power to be worth the extra expense.

Good luck.

fuzz nation
01-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Oh yeah, that racquet is dead if you string it at all tightly. Grab whatever inexpensive syn gut you can find and start right down at 55 lbs. If you are OK with that, try your next set a couple of lbs looser. The feedback on the TW site has some ideas on string and tension that could help. I'm loyal to Laserfibre now, but when I did a 200g for myself a while back, I used 16 ga Prince syn gut that was fine. A tough (or even average)17 ga in that dense pattern would probably have a good lifespan if you get a chance to try some later on. Happy hunting.