PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Forehand Kick Serve?

JimmyChapter
08-22-2004, 12:01 PM
I was reading online that to hit a good kick serve the grip should be more towards Eastern Backhand. I tried this and it feels kinda akward because I usually use more of a eastern forehand for my first serve. I was wondering if anyone uses the eastern Forehand for a kick serve?

andreh
08-22-2004, 12:21 PM
There probably are those who try. But for a succesful kick serve the answer is no. I've heard of people hitting it with a continental, but I find it hard to get the sidespin with that grip.

Anyway, you should probably work away hitting serves with a forehand grip. You'll never develop a really good serve that way. Continental or easter backhand - those are the grips for serves. If you manage to hit serves with a forehand grip there's probably other things lacking in your technique as well. With the proper service technique you shouldn't be able to hit a proper serve with forehand grip, I think. Can anyone else confirm or refute this? BB?

Here's an article about kick serves that is pretty decent.

http://tennis.about.com/library/weekly/aa050802.htm

Bungalo Bill
08-22-2004, 01:49 PM
The backhand grip will give you the opportunuty to hit with more spin. It does take some practice to get used to the grip. The key is to adjust your wrist position so the strings brush the ball accordingly to the ball you want to hit. It is just practice.

I would recommend that you practice with a continental or an eastern backhand grip for your spin serves.

Rickson
08-22-2004, 04:43 PM
I was reading online that to hit a good kick serve the grip should be more towards Eastern Backhand. I tried this and it feels kinda akward because I usually use more of a eastern forehand for my first serve. I was wondering if anyone uses the eastern Forehand for a kick serve?
I used to serve with an EF grip and believe me, there was no "kick" to my second serve. the second serve was simply a softer, loopier version of my first serve. The only time I started getting any topspin at all on my second was when I switched to an eastern backhand grip.

tetsuo10
08-22-2004, 05:31 PM
I would think the Eastern BH grip will takes a lot more practice and you'll probably frame a lot of balls. Edberg used this grip and even he would frame a few. On the other hand, I believe Becker used to hit his serve with a forehand grip (I haven't seen it in a long time, can anyone confirm?), but that's really rare.

andreh
08-22-2004, 11:18 PM
It looks like to me that Becker used a continental grip on his serve.