PDA

View Full Version : Alu power

bribeiro
01-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Goddamn, this thing loses tension fast, I hit with it twice, went out to hit today, couldn't control the ball at all, any other alternatives to this?

BigServer1
01-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Pro Red Code, Pro Hurricane Tour or SPPP. All of those are way better strings in terms of playability, comfort, holding tension and they're a wash in terms of control. Also the three aforementioned strings are softer than Alu, so you can string them at slightly higher tensions without the adverse arm effects. Just my opinion, though...

bribeiro
01-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Just ordered some SPPP, hopefully it'll hold tension better than Alu Power.

Doc Hollidae
01-10-2007, 07:41 AM
I've been playing with cyberflash for 2 weeks now, hitting 4-5 times a week for 2-3 hours and my strings have yet to move and the little tension has been lost. I haven't played with the other poly's mentioned previously, but Cyberflash is awesome.

vinnier6
01-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Just ordered some SPPP, hopefully it'll hold tension better than Alu Power.

i am using sppp right now in both my flexpoint rad tours at 58lbs...i am very sensitive when it comes to tension loss, and string movement...if you are like me then this is the string for you...holds tension extremely well, and no string movement after 12 hrs of play....

bribeiro
01-10-2007, 08:44 AM
what gauge do you all use? I ordered 17, didnt know what the l stood for in the 17l, so just ordered the regular one.

Also anyone here that uses sppp on a rdx 500 mid?

snoflewis
01-10-2007, 09:02 AM
what gauge do you all use? I ordered 17, didnt know what the l stood for in the 17l, so just ordered the regular one.

Also anyone here that uses sppp on a rdx 500 mid?

the L stands for a thinner version of w/e number is in front of it. so a 17L is thinner than a 17 but not as thin as an 18.

Bottle Rocket
01-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Goddamn, this thing loses tension fast, I hit with it twice, went out to hit today, couldn't control the ball at all, any other alternatives to this?

If you couldn't control the ball the third time out with a string, you honestly believe the string is the cause?

This is a little ridiculous in my opinion.

What racket and what tension were you using? I think this is overlooked way too often when talking about the performance tension holding of this string.

I feel like 90% of this forum is about alternatives to Luxilon ALU. I think there is a good reason Luxilon is the standard. How come none of the SPPP and Cyberflash people ever go back and experiment with ALU? I bet there would be some surprises there.

In my experience, SPPP doesn't have the power or feel of ALU and is not a suitable "alternative". It is a great string though and definitely worth a try. It is more durable and holds tension in a more consistant manner throughout its life.

bribeiro
01-10-2007, 09:59 AM
I use(used) an o3 tour. I can feel when the tension is very low, and it was the case. When I switched racquets, all of a sudden, my shots were landing in, so it was definitely the tension.

tarheelbornjohn
01-10-2007, 10:03 AM
I agree. SPPP is not ALU. These feel very different. I have used both. SPPP is much 'softer". Although I call it mushy. Everyone has different likes and dislikes so I would not say one is better than the other. All poly lose tension. BUt ALU is not a big tension loser. First, you did not tell us how long between hitting sessions it was. I have two sticks that I strung back in October and had surgery on my shoulder at the end of the month. I checked both of the sticks with a string meter when I put them up. THe mains averaged 54 on each. I just went back to check and one is at 54 and the other is at 53. Both we temp controlled and had not been out of the bag since then. I know these are relative measures with a sting meter but they do suggest not much tension lose. I did use them during the last two weeks of USTA and the last tourny I played in before hanging it up to get my shoulder rebuilt.

BaseLineBash
01-10-2007, 11:38 AM

That has not been my experience with ALU and it's my primary string. When it does lose tension... it's very apparent, but 3 sessions? Sounds exaggerated...

bribeiro
01-10-2007, 11:42 AM
maybe I just hit harder than you guys do :D

BigServer1
01-10-2007, 06:05 PM
If you couldn't control the ball the third time out with a string, you honestly believe the string is the cause?

This is a little ridiculous in my opinion.

What racket and what tension were you using? I think this is overlooked way too often when talking about the performance tension holding of this string.

I feel like 90% of this forum is about alternatives to Luxilon ALU. I think there is a good reason Luxilon is the standard. How come none of the SPPP and Cyberflash people ever go back and experiment with ALU? I bet there would be some surprises there.

In my experience, SPPP doesn't have the power or feel of ALU and is not a suitable "alternative". It is a great string though and definitely worth a try. It is more durable and holds tension in a more consistant manner throughout its life.

The reason that Luxilon is the standard is the fact that all the pros use them and that's how they are marketed by Luxilon. Pros can afford to restring every day, so tension loss doesn't really matter to them all that much. I had multiple, full luxilon jobs at 54, 57 and 60, strung higher each time to compensate for lost tension. I loved the way it felt for two weeks, then it turned to crap. If you don't believe me or think that my technique is bad, fine. You can think what you want. What I know is that Pro Hurricane Tour, Red Code and SPPP hold tension better (in my expirience) and are softer than Alu, so for anyone on a budget or with arm problems, these strings might be better suited for them. God forbid they don't use what the pros use, or the proverbial "industry standard".

WhiteSox05CA
01-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I heard the Pro Hurricane Tour was terrible and retaining tension.

nickb
01-11-2007, 05:33 AM
I just tried ALU for the first time yesterday and thought it was awsome, amazing spin, good feel, didnt move at all and ok on volleys. If it holds tension for 2 weeks thats good for me as i break most other strings after a week.

Nuke
01-11-2007, 05:39 AM
How come none of the SPPP and Cyberflash people ever go back and experiment with ALU?
Well, in my case, it's because the Lux is three times the cost of Cyber Flash. I'm pretty happy with the CF, so I have little reason to spend more money on an expensive string that many believe is the model that CF improved on.