PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Connors' Mother Passes Away

West Coast Ace
01-09-2007, 07:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=Ak9YCx9bFeBpW1IMrtNLTfs4v7YF?slug=ap-obit-gloriaconnors&prov=ap&type=lgns

Sagittar
01-09-2007, 07:10 PM
now will he be ready to accompany roddick in the AO ?

BaseLineBash
01-09-2007, 07:31 PM
That woman kept him in a straight line. This has to be extra hard for him, considering she was the main influence in his life.

Fee
01-09-2007, 07:39 PM
No, he's not going to be at the AO with Andy.

It's always hard losing a parent you were close with, my condolences to Jimmy.

Sagittar
01-09-2007, 07:43 PM
No, he's not going to be at the AO with Andy.

It's always hard losing a parent you were close with, my condolences to Jimmy.
yeah very hard indeed , it's inevitable but god save us all from such a day ..

Jet Rink
01-09-2007, 09:03 PM
You know, Mrs. Connors was a very significant figure, albeit a sort of hidden one, in the history of American tennis. She was a touring women's pro in the era of Jack Kramer and, along with her mother, tutored/drove/mentored Jimmy into being arguably the best (total wins) player ever.

She was tough - as was he.

This must be an extremely difficult loss for Jimmy and his family. God Bless him.

Jet

Duzza
01-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Poor Roddick. Oh and Connors.

rafan
01-09-2007, 09:51 PM
How very sad. She was a wonderful character. When Jimmy played at Wimbledon she was there for him always and part of that wonderful era.

OnceWas
01-09-2007, 10:17 PM
She always seemed like the perfect mother to me. She taught Jimmy alot about life and tennis.

Eviscerator
01-09-2007, 11:44 PM
:sad: As we get older and are fortunate enough to still have our parents with us, we will be facing such a day.

I hope that Mrs. Connors passed away peacefully and that her family can find comfort in her long and rich life.

Shabazza
01-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Of course Connors wants to be with his family now. Roddick will survive without Connors at the AO.

SC in MA
01-10-2007, 05:08 AM
Last year I read a book on Connors (I can't remember which one.) The book made reference to the fact that Gloria and her mother basically taught Jimmy "to play like a girl", that is, consistent groundstrokes from the baseline with a two-handed backhand, with no emphasis on the volley or serve. This was in an era where the predominant men's style was serve and volley and one-hand backhands. This S & V style of play was what boys were taught to emulate during that period of time. Jimmy added tremendous power (at least for those times) to the consistent baseline game he was taught, and the rest is history. I had never really thought about that until I read it, but it certainly made a lot of sense.

In addition to the consistent baseline style of play, and maybe more important to Jimmy's success was that Gloria also constantly and strongly instilled the underdog, never-give-up, crush-the-opponent fighting spirit into Jimmy from early age on. Apparently she was relentless in emphasising this to Jimmy.

Another interesting thing I believe I read in that same book was when Gloria was a young tennis player, she had dated (or knew) Jimmy Evert (Chris's dad), who was a tennis player who grew up and lived in Chicago at that time.

pound cat
01-10-2007, 05:57 AM
yeah very hard indeed , it's inevitable but god save us all from such a day ..

Do you mean you think it's better if the child dies first? Losing a child is the most devasting thing that can happen to a parent.

Eviscerator
01-10-2007, 06:03 AM
Last year I read a book on Connors (I can't remember which one.) The book made reference to the fact that Gloria and her mother basically taught Jimmy "to play like a girl", that is, consistent groundstrokes from the baseline with a two-handed backhand,

A lot of younger players are surprised when I tell them that Connors made the two handed backhand acceptable for boys/men to use. It was essentially consider a sissy shot for a man who didn't have the strength to hit with one hand. Since Connors was considered cool and far from a sissy, the THBH started to catch on for men as a result.

shrakkie
01-10-2007, 06:04 AM
pound cat im pretty sure what he meant he hopes god saves us the pain involved in losing a parent

sureshs
01-10-2007, 07:55 AM
A lot of younger players are surprised when I tell them that Connors made the two handed backhand acceptable for boys/men to use. It was essentially consider a sissy shot for a man who didn't have the strength to hit with one hand. Since Connors was considered cool and far from a sissy, the THBH started to catch on for men as a result.

And I was surprised to learn (from NBMJ) that the Babolat PD was designed for "mature" club women but caught on with the boys when Andy and polys became popular.

sureshs
01-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Of course Connors wants to be with his family now. Roddick will survive without Connors at the AO
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?"
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

Relevant sig today, heh?

intense2b
01-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Last year I read a book on Connors (I can't remember which one.) The book made reference to the fact that Gloria and her mother basically taught Jimmy "to play like a girl", that is, consistent groundstrokes from the baseline with a two-handed backhand, with no emphasis on the volley or serve. This was in an era where the predominant men's style was serve and volley and one-hand backhands. This S & V style of play was what boys were taught to emulate during that period of time. Jimmy added tremendous power (at least for those times) to the consistent baseline game he was taught, and the rest is history. I had never really thought about that until I read it, but it certainly made a lot of sense.

In addition to the consistent baseline style of play, and maybe more important to Jimmy's success was that Gloria also constantly and strongly instilled the underdog, never-give-up, crush-the-opponent fighting spirit into Jimmy from early age on. Apparently she was relentless in emphasising this to Jimmy.

Another interesting thing I believe I read in that same book was when Gloria was a young tennis player, she had dated (or knew) Jimmy Evert (Chris's dad), who was a tennis player who grew up and lived in Chicago at that time.

The book is called Jimmy Connors saved my life. And you completely misinterpreted what the book said. In fact it said the opposite.

Mrs. connors is an example of what a woman can do when she is ****ed off. She was a single mom who decided that she was going to have her revenge against men and the wealthy upper class by creating : Jimmy Connors.

Mrs. Connors taught "angry Tennis". She taught Jimmy to hit only two ways: Hard and Harder. Once when Jimmy was a kid he was using spins and slices and stuff...Mrs connors came over to him and said "This is the only way too hit the ball" and she smacked it as hard as she could.

Jimmy played a brand of tennis that was driven by anger. The anger his mother instilled. the anger against the upper class and against men. Jimmy played with a vengeance...every match was a war...a fight to the death.

urban
01-10-2007, 08:15 AM
The mentioned Joel Drucker book - regarding the main theme -is a lengthy variation on a theme, put forward by a SI article of Frank Deford 'Taught by women to beat up men'. Gloria modelled Jimmy's hard, clean hitting groundgame after Don Budge, she disliked all sorts of topspins. It was also said, that Gloria and two-mom, the grandma, instilled in Jimmy a sort of Oedipus-complex. His difficult relations with his elder coaches and managers like Bill Riordan or Pancho Segura seem to underline this. It's fair to say, that Gloria was a tough customer. But she knew her tennis.

sureshs
01-10-2007, 08:19 AM
It was also said, that Gloria and two-mom, the grandma, instilled in Jimmy a sort of Oedipus-complex.

He is not married, is he? And the only fling I have heard of was with Chrissie.

VGP
01-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Condolences to the Connors family.

Gloria Connors and Jimmy Evert set new models for parents coaching their children to become tennis champions. Like all relationships, there's got to be good and bad. I don't know the details, but it seems to be ok for Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert to have grown up the way they did.

These days with the examples of Pierce, Dokic, Kournikova....tennis parents can get out of hand. Hope there are more examples of Molitor, Seles and Agassi.

VGP
01-10-2007, 08:26 AM

He's married to his wife Patty. They have two kids.

python
01-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Jimmy Connors is married to the former Patti McGuire, a Playboy centerfold during the seventies. She was quite stunning in her day.

Jet Rink
01-10-2007, 08:33 AM
The book is called Jimmy Connors saved my life. And you completely misinterpreted what the book said. In fact it said the opposite.

Mrs. connors is an example of what a woman can do when she is ****ed off. She was a single mom who decided that she was going to have her revenge against men and the wealthy upper class by creating : Jimmy Connors.

Jimmy played a brand of tennis that was driven by anger. The anger his mother instilled. the anger against the upper class and against men. Jimmy played with a vengeance...every match was a war...a fight to the death.

I read the book too - and I concur with most of what you say here ("... fight to the death," etc.) But to go as far as "revenge against men..." is taking quite a bit of editorial liberty, in my opinion and smacks of a heavy dose of revisionist, political correctness.

My .02. Maybe Drucker is a lurker and he could concur. Or one of us (me included) could get off their duff and quote the book.

Jet

Dedans Penthouse
01-10-2007, 09:10 AM
He is not married, is he? And the only fling I have heard of was with Chrissie.Not married?!!! sureshs!!! You wish you were as married: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patti_McGuire ;-)

Connors is anything but Sophoclean; i.e. he's no m.f.

In a Sports Illustrated piece that featured an expose by the author of the book "Jimmy Connors Saved My Life," Chris Evert mentioned that her mother told her that you can always tell the true "inside" of a man by the way he treats his mom. Evert said that despite Connors' outward (at times) boorishness and arrogance, that Connors always called him mom every day.

But I digress: Connors?....not married?!! As in currently married to Patty McGuire...for the past 26 years? Patty McGuire? As in Playboy Playmate of the Month (nov. '76)??? As in Playboy (MAJOR-HOT) PLAYMATE OF THE YEAR ('77)????? I know the 9th Commandment ("Though Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Wife) and all, but: OUCH!! LOL :-)

mctennis
01-10-2007, 04:10 PM
May God grant him comfort in this hard time in his life.

I'm not sure he is still married to Patti McGuire. He hasn't said much about her lately. Perhaps he still is. Probably loves her as much as we love our wives after 20+ years of marriage. Right guys????

sureshs
01-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Not married?!!! sureshs!!! You wish you were as married: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patti_McGuire ;-)

Connors is anything but Sophoclean; i.e. he's no m.f.

In a Sports Illustrated piece that featured an expose by the author of the book "Jimmy Connors Saved My Life," Chris Evert mentioned that her mother told her that you can always tell the true "inside" of a man by the way he treats his mom. Evert said that despite Connors' outward (at times) boorishness and arrogance, that Connors always called him mom every day.

But I digress: Connors?....not married?!! As in currently married to Patty McGuire...for the past 26 years? Patty McGuire? As in Playboy Playmate of the Month (nov. '76)??? As in Playboy (MAJOR-HOT) PLAYMATE OF THE YEAR ('77)????? I know the 9th Commandment ("Though Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Wife) and all, but: OUCH!! LOL :-)

For a moment, I confused him with Jim Courier I don't know why.

breakfast_of_champions
01-10-2007, 04:28 PM

jimmy married patty mcguire, "playmate of the year", back in the 70's. one of the few top players to stay married. before that he dated miss world.

jimmy had an us against the world mentality, partly because of the "cluby" nature of tennis. jimmy was just not the country club type either, jimmy was a prize fighter in a tennis players sport, so the tennis world didn't immediately warm to jimmy. then there was the 74 french open debacle that didn't help things either. he had a running feud with the tennis establishment for years, often skipping the yearend championships. jimmy also destroyed the well liked ken rosewall as well.

gloria connors was the original tennis coach-parent. connors was usually #1 during the years she traveled with him.

NbladeTopspin
01-10-2007, 04:47 PM
now will he be ready to accompany roddick in the AO ?

who cares? no offense

python
01-11-2007, 05:12 AM
I care as a fan of both Connors and Roddick.

urban
01-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Today i read on Tennis mag web a piece of Peter Bodo about Gloria Connors, entitled 'Oedipus rex Rosewall', with some comments by Joel Drucker on that Oedipus-theme, made popular by that Deford article. I don't want to be wise-cracking, but, if you remain in the mythological picture, not Rosewall, but Jimbo was the Oedipus Rex. Oedipus is about mother-love and father-murder, but it's Oedipus himself, who goes through the ordeal of killing his father.

Dedans Penthouse
01-11-2007, 07:54 AM
"New Yorkers love it when you spill your guts out there. Spill your guts at Wimbledon and they make you stop and clean it up." --- James Scott Connors

Condolences Jimbo.

Kirko
01-11-2007, 03:13 PM
81 yrs. is a long time to live, but still tragic for a son to lose his mother. my sister took lessons from Gloria Connors here in st. louis in the mid sixties. I talked to my sister last night she now lives in florida about what she was like as teacher and she had only wonderful things to say about her, upshot you got a REAL hour of instruction from her.

kiki
03-20-2011, 06:06 AM
Two pearls on Connors relationship with women:

Former Miss World Marjorie Wallace, whom Connors dated after breaking up with Evert and before marrying Patty said:

" The way Jimmy´s been raised, I still wonder at how he is not a gay"

"Even your own mom will do that to you" ( throwing balls at Jimmy´s head when he was 2 years old ).

That´s creating a fighting spirit, isn´t it?