PDA

View Full Version : USTA ratings discrepenies

LttlElvis
01-10-2007, 12:47 PM
I have a similar story to this thread here in Texas:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=108878

After a long layoff from tennis, I have been playing more consistently, 5 days a week. My love for the game is back and I love league tennis. When I joined the USTA, I read the NTRP ratings and thought I was probably a 4.0 by definition. Well I played with a few 4.0 players and got spanked, so I self ranked at 3.5.

I am getting back in shape and I really would like to play 4.0 to improve my game. I would consider myself a strong 3.5 now, with a chance to compete against some 4.0 players.

My problem is that I notice there are so many sandbaggers at the 4.0 level, you can't even make the team. In my country club, you have to try out to be on the teams, and I swear these guys are 4.5 at least. It seams like the step from 3.5 to 4.0 is so drastic.

As proof, I find out our club pro is a 4.0 player. This guy has competed in open events and 5.0 leagues.

How is someone supposed to improve and compete?

oldguysrule
01-10-2007, 01:21 PM
In my opinion, the jump from 3.5 to 4.0 is the biggest in terms of level of competition. I think one of the reasons is that there are not as many 4.5's and so the opportunity for play in USTA leagues is more limited. Many tournaments do not have 5.0 divisions so you have individuals that might be on this level playing in 4.5. This serves to push down through the various ratings.

My experience was similar to yours. I got back into tennis a couple of years ago with the idea that I "should be a 4.0" The actual competition though dictated that I was a 3.5. I soon realized that the goal was to play with similarly skilled players and it didn't really matter what number was attached to my name. My game has come back slowly and the computer has bumped me to 4.0 and that is fine as well. Most of my tennis is played with 3.5's to 4.5's and we have fun. Play the 3.5 leagues and tourneys and if you have success and need more competition, then play up at 4.0. The main thing is to PLAY and have fun.

raiden031
01-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Your best bet is to secure a spot on a 3.5 team, while also trying to find a 4.0 team. That way you at least get to play on one team rather than none. Also on one team, you won't get much playing time if everyone is given equal share of play on the team, so you might as well be on two teams.

BigJEFF
01-10-2007, 10:27 PM
I have a similar story to this thread here in Texas:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=108878

After a long layoff from tennis, I have been playing more consistently, 5 days a week. My love for the game is back and I love league tennis. When I joined the USTA, I read the NTRP ratings and thought I was probably a 4.0 by definition. Well I played with a few 4.0 players and got spanked, so I self ranked at 3.5.

I am getting back in shape and I really would like to play 4.0 to improve my game. I would consider myself a strong 3.5 now, with a chance to compete against some 4.0 players.

My problem is that I notice there are so many sandbaggers at the 4.0 level, you can't even make the team. In my country club, you have to try out to be on the teams, and I swear these guys are 4.5 at least. It seams like the step from 3.5 to 4.0 is so drastic.

As proof, I find out our club pro is a 4.0 player. This guy has competed in open events and 5.0 leagues.

How is someone supposed to improve and compete?

MOVE OUT OF TEXAS or play 3.0 Truthfully I havent seen many Players but what I have seen and Heard... It is pretty bad worst part of it they are all in such denial that you can't do anything about it....

West Coast Ace
01-12-2007, 03:20 PM
How is someone supposed to improve and compete?I would hope your area would have Ladders - I think this is a great way to get matches in and avoid the USTA silliness - if it's well run and has a nice mix of players you'll rise to the proper level and get to play some better players, learn to beat down lesser players, and maybe get lucky and find some equally ranked players you can play frequently or rally with.

raiden031's suggestion isn't bad either. You're not really sandbagging since you lost to some 4.0's