PDA

View Full Version : Lively and cheap

klngnbrgd
01-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I need string that is lively, cheap and durable. (Under 7 dollars, perferably) I also prefer 17 gauge and thinner strings. As well as soft strings. I am looking for ideas because I have run out of them.

yemenmocha
01-10-2007, 01:07 PM
You're asking for a string that doesn't exist.

Lively, cheap, durable 17gauge?

Craig Sheppard
01-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Until 2-3 years ago, Gosen OG Jim Courier Micro 17 fit the bill perfectly. That string was great. Now it only comes in 16 ga. If you can do 16, that would fit the bill.

After they pulled that off the market, I just went back to PSGD 17, and then moved to Klip Synthetic Gut 17 (similar to PSGD). A few flirtations w/ Gamma TNT2, but it's too pricey for what you get.

goober
01-10-2007, 01:26 PM
You're asking for a string that doesn't exist.

Lively, cheap, durable?

Strings no but some women I know yes :)

You may want to try some gosen polyon sp 17. That is cheap and durable 17g and somewhat lively as far as polys go.

Kevo
01-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Yep, that is an unlikely combination to find. You could get two of the 3 fairly easily. Depending on your definition of durable, Head RIP Control 17 would be worth looking at.

eunjam
01-10-2007, 04:13 PM
but a reel of strings that cost about $10/set will probably bring it down to about $7.

Pusher
01-11-2007, 02:20 AM
I need string that is lively, cheap and durable. (Under 7 dollars, perferably) I also prefer 17 gauge and thinner strings. As well as soft strings. I am looking for ideas because I have run out of them.

Here's an idea.

Change your requirements to lively, 17 gauge, cheap(under $3) and average durability. When you do that a whole world of possibilities opens up (e.g. Gosen micro sheep 17, Babolat superfine play 17).

SteveI
01-11-2007, 06:55 AM
Here's an idea.

Change your requirements to lively, 17 gauge, cheap(under $3) and average durability. When you do that a whole world of possibilities opens up (e.g. Gosen micro sheep 17, Babolat superfine play 17).

Hi Pusher,

If the player is not a real spin or hard hitting player, the OG and Superfine Play would do the trick as you stated. I would add Klip Kicker

Regards,
Steve

klngnbrgd
01-11-2007, 02:20 PM
That is my problem, I hit with a good amount of spin and I hit hard. While my nBlade's dense pattern helps, I still need good a pretty durabe string.

I think I am going to try the OG and Superfine Play, I was very intrested in the Head Rip Control, but could not find any 17 gauge, that didn't contain Ti.

netman
01-11-2007, 05:24 PM
You could always hybrid 16s on the mains and 17s on the crosses. Or vice a versa. Using generic Gosen SM reels keeps the cost per stringing to less than $2. And it will last longer than a straight 17 job.

-k-

ACK4wd
01-11-2007, 06:05 PM
http :// www. racquetsportsindustry . com /issues/200609/200609stringselector.html

listed by stiffness it is more than less an good guide.

donut
01-11-2007, 06:18 PM
topspin cyberflash is 7.50 o.o

Richie Rich
01-11-2007, 11:58 PM
prince lightning is the liveliest syn gut i have played with.

barry
01-12-2007, 01:35 AM
After trying about 15 different string combinations, I am back to Gosen Polylon 17 with Prince Synthetic gut 16 crosses. Plays better than any of the synthetic strings, and last more than 16 hours.

I string the mains at 51 pounds and crosses at 53 on my Nsix-One 95 (16 x 18 pattern). Comes in about $2.50 a string job, could lower that cost if you go Gosen OG sheep micro reel ($30) then about $2.00 a set.

Regular synthetic string does not hold tension, seems to play well for about 2 matches, then dies.

Pusher
01-12-2007, 01:41 AM
Hi Pusher,

If the player is not a real spin or hard hitting player, the OG and Superfine Play would do the trick as you stated. I would add Klip Kicker

Regards,
Steve

Hey Steve,

Never tried the Kicker but I like Klip-seems like a solid company. I have used their gut and it is very good and I've been meaning to give Scorcher a try.

Pusher
01-12-2007, 10:37 AM
That is my problem, I hit with a good amount of spin and I hit hard. While my nBlade's dense pattern helps, I still need good a pretty durabe string.

I think I am going to try the OG and Superfine Play, I was very intrested in the Head Rip Control, but could not find any 17 gauge, that didn't contain Ti.

I've got an Nblade98.

If you're going to use a synthetic gut you want to make sure you string the crosses 4lbs tighter than the mains (e.g. M56, X60). That will lock in the mains and keep them from moving so much. That will increase the string life about 30%.

Ben42
01-12-2007, 12:45 PM
prince lightning is the liveliest syn gut i have played with.

I really liked the Lightning XX 17, but durable it's not.

SteveI
01-13-2007, 01:38 AM
Hey Steve,

Never tried the Kicker but I like Klip-seems like a solid company. I have used their gut and it is very good and I've been meaning to give Scorcher a try.

Hi,

One of the fine members (Thanks again Martin) of this board sent me some Kicker (and grips/overgrips) to string rackets, regrip for local HS players in finanical need. Some of us here do that stuff from time to time.. :-). The kids loved the stuff and it held up very well even in the early season (cold and snow).. and late girls season...(same). Had great zip.. and also nice control. I started buying the stuff (along with Liberty/OG) for low end string jobs and as use in hybrids. All and all a very nice basic string.. somewhat harder to pop than OG.

Regards,
Steve

BigGriff
01-13-2007, 01:57 AM
I have a few reels of Klip Kicker 17 and I simply love the stuff. RSI gave it a better rating than PSG, PSGDF, and Gosen. I have used it in hybrids and full string jobs for my hitting partners and they like it as well.

IMO Klip Kicker is durable, more arm friendly than comparable strings, and has plenty of pop.

SteveI
01-13-2007, 02:13 AM
I have a few reels of Klip Kicker 17 and I simply love the stuff. RSI gave it a better rating than PSG, PSGDF, and Gosen. I have used it in hybrids and full string jobs for my hitting partners and they like it as well.

IMO Klip Kicker is durable, more arm friendly than comparable strings, and has plenty of pop.

BigGriff,

I have been doing some experimenting with i.Radcials O/S. Can you you share some insights on your set-up. Any mods to the frames? What sort of game do you play?" Swing length and speed. Play with spin or flat hitter?

Thanks!

Steve

BigGriff
01-13-2007, 10:52 PM
BigGriff,

I have been doing some experimenting with i.Radcials O/S. Can you you share some insights on your set-up. Any mods to the frames? What sort of game do you play?" Swing length and speed. Play with spin or flat hitter?

Thanks!

Steve

I feel ya pain Steve. I finally found a set up that works for me.

Setup: I have 3 grams of lead at 3 and 9 O'clock. 6 grams in the handle. If you don't have some lead at 3 and 9 it just doesn't feel stable on off center hits and it gives the iRad a bit more pop.

Both my iRads are strung with Topsin CF in the mains @ 55lbs and Klip Kicker in the cross @ 57lbs. I went 2lbs higher on the crosses because Kicker is one of those flexy syn guts and it diminishes movement.

Game type: I am an agressive baseliner by nature but transitioning into an all court game. I have fast loopy swings. I hit with heavy topspin and slice. I have a full western forehand and two handed backhand.

Although I have a two handed backhand, I love to mix it up and use my slice backhand to chip and charge. My weakness is net play but I have been working on that part of my game and I am improved. I don't have a blazing first serve but I can place my flat and slice serve where I want to create cheap points and frustrate opponents. My strength is my consistent ground strokes and quickness.

Hope this helps Steve! :grin:

SteveI
01-14-2007, 04:47 AM
I feel ya pain Steve. I finally found a set up that works for me.

Setup: I have 3 grams of lead at 3 and 9 O'clock. 6 grams in the handle. If you don't have some lead at 3 and 9 it just doesn't feel stable on off center hits and it gives the iRad a bit more pop.

Both my iRads are strung with Topsin CF in the mains @ 55lbs and Klip Kicker in the cross @ 57lbs. I went 2lbs higher on the crosses because Kicker is one of those flexy syn guts and it diminishes movement.

Game type: I am an agressive baseliner by nature but transitioning into an all court game. I have fast loopy swings. I hit with heavy topspin and slice. I have a full western forehand and two handed backhand.

Although I have a two handed backhand, I love to mix it up and use my slice backhand to chip and charge. My weakness is net play but I have been working on that part of my game and I am improved. I don't have a blazing first serve but I can place my flat and slice serve where I want to create cheap points and frustrate opponents. My strength is my consistent ground strokes and quickness.

Hope this helps Steve! :grin:

Hi,

Thanks so much. Great info.. I will give the mods a try. Have a great day.

Steve