PDA

View Full Version : Ever string mains and crosses with different color?

raiden031
01-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm thinking of stringing my mains and crosses with a different color and was wondering what it would look like.

If you saw someone on a court with that would you think negatively of them?

looseswing
01-10-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm sure about anybody who hybrids with SPPP or redcode would do it.

aroddick
01-10-2007, 03:07 PM
I did. the other person said to my face, that i was crazy.

But mainly said it because i killed him in a 5 setter.

But i wouldnt try it. It kind of distracting.

VERY ANNOYING. it you are going to do it. make sure the colors are close.

raiden031
01-10-2007, 03:14 PM
I did. the other person said to my face, that i was crazy.

But mainly said it because i killed him in a 5 setter.

But i wouldnt try it. It kind of distracting.

VERY ANNOYING. it you are going to do it. make sure the colors are close.

So would you consider it bad etiquette?

theace21
01-10-2007, 03:14 PM
I have seen kids at a local high school do it. Orange and black strings.

chair ump
01-10-2007, 03:16 PM
I just strung my racquet with redcode mains and pacific gut crosses...and I've gotten more positive compliments on how different it looks than negative reactions.

WhiteSox05CA
01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Many, actually most, hybrids stringjobs are like this.

aroddick
01-10-2007, 03:51 PM
its like something teens would do. If you are a grown up, i highly recommend that you dont do that. UNLESS your are wild. And it is highly annoying to the opponent. I am sure you would like a black and red strings swinging ball towards you. I seens people paint strings yellow, to kind of have the string blend it with the ball and stuff, they are just pushers.

I say dont do it. Unless the combination of unresistable.

str33t
01-10-2007, 03:52 PM
I hybrided sppp and prince synthetic gut.
it nicely compliments my racquet, head lm radical :D

amx13
01-10-2007, 03:53 PM
My partner has an O3 tour with black Prince synth gut on mains and orange tecnifibre polyspin on crosses, it looks really cool IMO.

aroddick
01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
My partner has an O3 tour with black Prince synth gut on mains and orange tecnifibre polyspin on crosses, it looks really cool IMO.
yeah, this is what many people are doing. I did it before, i will never do it again.
And it ****ed me off when the opponent was using it. every time he was serving, my eyes would go off the ball.

Nuke
01-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I used to buy PSGD in a platinum color to match my poly mains (Cyber Flash or Unique Big Hitter) but then I bought a bunch of OG Sheep Micro in a teal color and I like the way it looks against the silver mains. But it really wouldn't matter to me if it looked ugly -- it plays just fine. Now, if my opponent is distracted by it, so much the better.

eunjam
01-10-2007, 05:12 PM
for me, tennis is not about fashion. it's about playing well and staying focused.

i don't give a rat's ***** if my strings were hot pink/fluorescent green. as long as the strings play well and it puts me in a position to win.

and if my opponent needs to cry about the color of my strings......so be it.

personally, when i play, i am not thinking at all about the color of my opponent's strings....

mctennis
01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Yes, not on purpose. The strings just came in those colors. I have two racquets that are hybrids.

travlerajm
01-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Would it be illegal to paint an optic yellow disk in the center of your black stringbed?

s.sharm01
01-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Pro Hurricane Tour 17 BLUE
Syn Gut 16 BLACK
on a pure drive + looks preety cool, and plays even better

ssjkyle31
01-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I have yellow Durablast poly 17g and cheap black synthentic 16g on a Volkl Tour 10 Gen 1

ricomon
01-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I have Redcode mains and NXT crosses in my PD's. Hooray for the Red, White and Blue. Or Vive la Bleu, Blanc et Rouge.

Young Pete
01-10-2007, 08:41 PM
for me, tennis is not about fashion. it's about playing well and staying focused.

i don't give a rat's ***** if my strings were hot pink/fluorescent green. as long as the strings play well and it puts me in a position to win.

personally, when i play, i am not thinking at all about the color of my opponent's strings....

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! I AGREE WITH YOU 100%

p0w3r
01-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Would it be illegal to paint an optic yellow disk in the center of your black stringbed?

thats genious:o

Dashbarr
01-10-2007, 09:28 PM
somebody needs to try travlerajm's idea. that would **** me off so much, but it would be funny as hell.

DANMAN
01-10-2007, 10:56 PM

Without knowing for sure, I would think it would be legal especially since stencils are applied all over the string bed. It could be the sign for "I've been customized by travlerajm"

Pusher
01-11-2007, 02:50 AM

But you're obviously a serious player.

Take a look at the average club and you will find a lot of the players are "hit and giggle" women or juniors trying to look cool. Bags, shoes, outfits, string color-they are all a part of the ambience of tennis. Then there are those that are focused on actually getting better at the game and, like you say, don't give a rat's ***** about string color.

Smooothone23
01-11-2007, 07:35 AM
I have used all sorts of color combos and have ever since highschool when I used the Prince Prism strings. I have recently used the SPPP with black syn gut crosses, Blue Hurricane with natural color crosses, full red code in my six one 95, red code and natural, Kirshbaum P2 full job ( yellow)..and the list goes on and on. It doesnt bother me at all the different colors. My game speaks for itself.
Those of you who whine about it really need to take that motivation and use it to beat your opponent that has the "skittle color" problem. I bet though it is embarassing for you to get aced by a set of pink Prince Lightning strings! Colored strings dont make the player......and who really cares anyway.

Steve Huff
01-11-2007, 09:10 AM
I sent a "Tennis Tip" into USRSA about doing this. I string my own (and other peoples) rackets with gut in the mains and a colored synthetic in the crosses. If nothing else, people come up and say "it looks like you have different strings in your racket". That gives me a chance to explain the benefits of hybrid stringing. Plus, it lets people know I string. I don't think Greg has printed it yet. Maybe he didn't deem it worthy. But, it's a great marketing tool.

psp2
01-11-2007, 09:26 AM
White, black, yellow, shiny, dull, green, purple... who cares what your stringbed looks like. If it helps your game, then that's the only thing that matters.

Craig Sheppard
01-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm thinking of stringing my mains and crosses with a different color and was wondering what it would look like.

I used to string my Pro 1's with nat gut in the mains & gold PSGD in the crosses. Looked pretty badass to me. Not very contrasty like black & pink or anything, but pretty cool IMO.

Roy
01-12-2007, 12:43 AM
I do it all the time in hybrids. Can't imagine that it'd bother my opponents. No big deal IMO.

PBODY99
01-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I only like certain string in certain colors, so my hybirds tend to be that way.

Voltron
01-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Following travlerajm, why not tape a bunch of lasers to the head of your racquet, now it distracts your opponant, and functions as a laser show.

ibringtheHEAT
03-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Voltron, when will you stop being such a genious?

tennis-skater
03-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I string all my highschool friends rackets with green and orange strings our school colors but the green is pretty subtle

isuk@tennis
03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
if the two strings are for different characteristics why should it matter. but if it was the same strings just different color then it still wouldn't bother me but i find that pointless to "pretty up" something that a person would barely notice across the tennis court.
when i play i don't look at the other persons racket i look at the ball. maybe that's why i suck so bad?

Steve Huff
03-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Here are some good mixes: 1) Cyberflash (pewter) or Luxilon ALU Power in gray with Black Prince Syn 2) SPPP (orange) with white syn. 3) Luxilon ALU Power (light blue) with white Prince Syn w/Duraflex 4) Red Alpha Prodigy with orange SPPP (sounds terrible, but actually looks very good) 5) TF Red Code with Alpha Power Cable in Black

Pusher
03-21-2007, 04:52 AM

No.

My son uses a red main and white crosses. Some people will ask what the cool strings are but no one complains. My wife uses purple strings and gets postive comments.

Nuke
03-21-2007, 05:40 AM
I string Cyber Flash (silver) with blue Sheep Micro. On a black frame, it looks like the local football team's colors (Carolina Panthers). I didn't plan it that way, but it looks pretty good.

JRProstaf9
03-21-2007, 06:34 AM
I've done it before w/ the following patterns:

*Black Mains White Crosses - looked pretty cool, did it just for the hell of it
*Red Mains White Crosses - did it for one of the kids I taught who played for my old highschool (school colors)
*Green Mains White Crosses - another school color set for one of the kids i taught
*Black Mains Red Crosses - another school color set
*Blue Mains White Crosses - just b/c thats the color the babolat poly strings came in that I used

Aside from the blue babolat polys all the strings i used were regular 16g synthetic guy either Wilson or Prince. Most of the folks I strung up in those patterns liked the color design saying it was different and stood out a bit. didn't really do anything for performance but just added some flare.