PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read Technical Tennis?

dowjones
01-10-2007, 06:59 PM
It's an interesting book with a scientific approach to rackets, strings, balls, courts, spin and bounce. It claims to help players in their quest for the perfect racket. I highly suggest that you read it. It gave some interesting viewpoints and laboratory information on the things that involve tennis.

After reading and interested in the part about racket stiffness and string bed stiffness, I pulled out my old Head I.S6 (110 sq in and 72 on the stiffness meter) and strung it at 55 lbs with Gosen SG and added a ton of weight to the throat and some @ 10 and 2. My goal was to make it as close to my RDX500 as I could.

Went out and played my Tuesday night doubles with it and wow I hit the sh*t out of the ball with it. The books claims that string bed stiffness is a function of racket stiffness and string stiffness and that their are virtually unlimited possibilities with the racket you've got based on all the combinations of strings and tensions. I doubt I stick with the I.S6 but it's got me wanting to experiment with my RDX500's.

Anyway, I think there is some truth to what is written and suggest that you give it a try before buying another racket. Although, I would have no idea what a RDX500 would feel or play like unless I owned or played (demoed) with
one.

Until recently, I never really thought about customizing my own racket, I just demoed one until it felt right and went with it.

Rambling on, DJ

WhiteSox05CA
01-10-2007, 07:14 PM
You should check out "The Physics and Technology of Tennis" it's by the same guys, Rod Cross, Crawford Lindsey, and Howard Brody. It is much longer and goes a little more in-depth with the explanations. Technical Tennis is a good summary of that book, and newer.

Court_Jester
01-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Technical Tennis is the "abridged" version of the book "The Physics and Technology of Tennis." For the less technically inclined, TT is a very good resource book. However, if you want to know the nuts-and-bolts details especially the physics and math behind them, the other book is better (which I prefer).

dave333
01-11-2007, 11:34 AM
I did. very interesting and great insight.

AJK1
01-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Yeah, it destroys a lot of the BS thrown around here!

jonolau
01-13-2007, 06:02 AM
Yup. Bought one from Amaz0n and have been bringing it on my travels to read on the plane for refreshment.

Totally agree with AJK1 that it clears up a lot of myths floating about the forum.