PDA

View Full Version : My unfortunate (and likely short) return... Alpha Equinox Review (VERY LONG)

Masamusou
01-11-2007, 06:17 AM

Masamusou
01-11-2007, 06:17 AM

Richard Parnell
01-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Hi Masamasou,
The tension question, concerning not taking up the slack sounds like a lack of constant pull. Once tension is attained it stops any more actions.
The diablo actually takes the stress off the tension head as well so it really should be used on all strings irrespective of marking.
All the best,
Richard

jj300
01-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Richard,
Can you explain how the diablo takes pressure off the tension head? It's attached to the string gripper so whether the string goes thru the diablo or not, it still puts all the pressure on the pulling mechanism doesn't it?

barry
01-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Masamusou

Nice review, hope your experiences with stringers is not contagious, this one sounds like another Wise problem.

On an earlier post (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=110562), Mark mentioned they took their machine production in house, and maybe the quality was better out-house. It usually takes a couple of year to establish quality control on the factory floor.

Should be interesting to hear what remedy you get, if it were me, I would ask for a refund. 4 months of aggravation is enough!

Davai
01-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Masamusou, It sounds very unfortunate that such a thing happened with a high end machine. But it seems like Alpha is doing all it can to remedy your problem and the machine's. What you said about the poor brake and 03 reminded me something. By far the best brake that I have encountered is the automatic one that is used on the new electronic Prince machines. Every time you pull tension the turntable locks automatically.

Richard Parnell
01-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Hi JJ,
The pressure is taken off just the jaws on the tension head and split between the jaws and the diablo. BTW the diablo should be waxed so that there is as little friction as possible which brings the next question. Who waxes his diablo on a regular basis ??
Richard

jj300
01-11-2007, 10:02 AM
I never heard of waxing the diablo before. The string gripper and diablo are connected to one piece that is attached to the pulling mechanism of the tension head right? so isn't the pressure the same on the actual pulling mechanism, whether the diablo is utilized or not? having a hard time picturing ur responses

Richard Parnell
01-11-2007, 10:25 AM
As the string goes round the diablo before getting to the jaws this takes some of the pressure off. I have had certain strings really stick to the diablo and leave a mark, thus the reason for the waxing,
Richard

flash9
01-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Richard,
Can you explain how the diablo takes pressure off the tension head? It's attached to the string gripper so whether the string goes thru the diablo or not, it still puts all the pressure on the pulling mechanism doesn't it?

As the string goes round the diablo before getting to the jaws this takes some of the pressure off. I have had certain strings really stick to the diablo and leave a mark, thus the reason for the waxing,
Richard

From an engineering stand point by having a Diablo; it would distribute the load to two different points on the tension head. Some load would be taken up by the Diablo, and then the gripper plates would take up the rest. I would guess if you could measure the tension in the string between the Diablo and the gripper plates you would find it would be at a lower tension, then on the racket side of the Diablo, thus the gripper plates would need to exert less “squeezing” force to hold and pull the sting. But, the load on the tension head would need to be the same whether there is a Diablo on the tension head or not.
Gordie

varuscelli
01-17-2007, 11:35 AM
I've got a feeling that Alpha is going to make sure this whole thing comes out right. I've heard so many good things about Alpha and have indeed exchanged a number of e-mails on various subjects with Mark at Alpha, and they truly seem like a company that takes the right route with their customers and prospective customers. I just can't picture this situation as going unresolved based on what I know about the company and what I feel about the way they do business. Just my two cents. ;)