PDA

View Full Version : String a full set of Syn Gut, with different main and cross tensions?

tonysk83
01-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Has anyone done this, more specifically with syn gut? I typically string at 60-62 lbs, but I was thinking about trying something like mains at 62lbs and crosses at 54lbs. It seems like it would give it the same great spin potential I love at 60-62lbs, but would soften the string bed up a little, loss a bit control, but give it some more power.

I really am talking out of my *** though, I really have no idea what it would do, any experience on this? Just got my new racquet and it has a syn gut/kevlar hybird which I can't stand, and I am not a string breaker so I have no need for kevlar.

Pusher
01-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Has anyone done this, more specifically with syn gut? I typically string at 60-62 lbs, but I was thinking about trying something like mains at 62lbs and crosses at 54lbs. It seems like it would give it the same great spin potential I love at 60-62lbs, but would soften the string bed up a little, loss a bit control, but give it some more power.

I really am talking out of my *** though, I really have no idea what it would do, any experience on this? Just got my new racquet and it has a syn gut/kevlar hybird which I can't stand, and I am not a string breaker so I have no need for kevlar.

Interesting experiment.

There could be a problem with racquet distortion which may affect your warranty. My understanding is that the tension on the mains is usually higher than the tension on the crosses even at the same tension level for both. I know that kind of sounds backwards but some pretty good stringers tell me that is the case. I usually string my crosses 4 lbs more than my mains.

rod_b
01-11-2007, 04:08 PM
That's pretty extreme. Why don't you try 2-4lbs difference. I'm guessing that whatever the 2 tensions are for the strings, the stringbed itself will always be closer to the tighter tension.

fuzz nation
01-11-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm gonna run that one by my string guru... I'll bet it would be less stressful on the frame with the lighter crosses since the frame is weaker on that axis than the mains. A kevlar hybrid job calls for 3-4 lbs less on the mains (as far as I know) only because they have much less elasticity than the crosses, but I like syn. gut for myself and some racquet builders recommend crosses going a couple lbs less than the mains in their gear.

I'd check with a pro stringer, but I think the looser crosses could up the comfort without turning your racquet into a waterbed.

bad_call
01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
i string like Pusher - crosses are typically 4 lbs more than mains unless hybrid then need to check on string mfg recommendations.

Valjean
01-11-2007, 09:18 PM
This should have to do with head size, though; how he should enliven an 85 sq.in. head was Sampras's cross to bear.

travlerajm
01-12-2007, 12:35 AM

Stringing at differential tension just changes the shape of your racquet. Stringing mains at 62 and crosses at 54 will give you about 58 on both, but your racquethead will be squashed. JohnCauthen, who seems to have a lot of experience with differential tension stringing, recommends you do the opposite (mains looser), as he claims that most racquets play better when you stretch them.

My take on that is that squashing will reduce the swingweight, while stretching will increase the swingweight. So it will definitely make a big difference in how your racquet plays. An increase in swingweight will generally increase power, just as if you added lead to you hoop.

A better way to experiment with differential tension without messing with the shape of your frame is to use different gauge on the mains than on the crosses. Thinner gauge of the same string will be stiffer (with higher effective tension due to higher stress from lower cross-sectional area) if it is stretched at the same absolute reference tension.

snoflewis
01-12-2007, 12:36 AM
This should have to do with head size, though; how he should enliven an 85 sq.in. head was Sampras's cross to bear.

yeah...that's what i found from my experiments. i've only been using full syn gut for a while, and on every midsize frame i've had, the cross was always 2 lbs lower than the mains (usually 58/56). for midplus frames, the tension remained uniform.

to the OP, it's the general consensus on this forum that tension between the crosses and mains should be kept around a 2-4 lb differential. something more would put the frame under great stress as the stress due to the tension would not be distributed properly. also, it would do a good job in warping the frame out of shape so it might be a longer or shorter, depending on whether hte mains are tighter or looser than the crosses. lastly, i found that a slight decrease in tension on the crosses provided a softer feel and a more cupping stringbed. i believe a tighter cross pattern provides a stiffer stringbed but keeps the mains from moving around as much

gregmiata
01-24-2007, 01:39 PM
A better way to experiment with differential tension without messing with the shape of your frame is to use different gauge on the mains than on the crosses. Thinner gauge of the same string will be stiffer (with higher effective tension due to higher stress from lower cross-sectional area) if it is stretched at the same absolute reference tension.

Does this just change the "feel" of the racquet, or does it also have an effect on the shots it produces?

tennis_hand
01-26-2007, 09:44 AM
I have always string my mains higher than crosses in syn gut. usually 2-3lbs.
well, i like it very much. It is said that if mains is higher, you stretch the sweetspot longer. if cross is higher, you squeeze the sweet spot wider.

The majority of the string feeling comes from mains. if the cross tension is lower, it restricts the movement of the mains less when you hit the ball. you can feel more during contact. I once strung at 52/48. the trampoline effect is very obvious there, which I like. :)