PDA

View Full Version : Tension Gripper Height

LttlElvis
01-11-2007, 02:10 PM
On another thread, GammaTech explained the purpose of the diablo and it made more sense to me. The diablo helps keep the consistency of the height of the string no matter were the tensioner is on the track.

So for those of us without diablos, does it really make that much of a difference if our tension gripper is on a horizontal plane with the racquet? I have read here that some people with Wise Tension Heads lose their 360 degree capability. On my machine, the Wise Tension Head just clears the racquet so I do not have this problem.

I have seen pics of modified dropweight machines with the Wise Tension Head added, and they made sure the racquet was right in line with the mounted racquet.

But does gripper height really make much of a difference as long as we are stringing consistently? (Does a couple of inches of height make a difference)

If the gripper is horizontal with the racquet the first few center mains do pull straight on. But once you start getting to the outer mains, the string will be pulled at some angle, and it increases the further you are from the center. Once you are pulling at an angle, it really doesnt matter if the gripper is horizontal to the racquet. Seems like a gripper can be anywhere on a 3 dimensional plane or angle, just as long as you are pulling the correct amount.

Just curious.

rich s
01-11-2007, 03:04 PM
In my mind consistancy outweighs and negates a large majority of the other factors....however there some things that I wanted to avoid by mounting my Wise's gripper on the same plane as the stringbed.

1. I didn't want to have to deal with determining what tension to input in to the Wise to achieve the tension and feel of my previous reference tension.....especially since I string for other people and didn't want to start potentially impacting the feel of their string jobs too.

2. When you pull the string at an angle relative to the gripper it generates a vertical component of force and a moment that acts on the mechanism(s) inside the tension head. I did not want to prematurely wear and/or fail the mechanism by applying components of force and inducing moments the machine wasn't designed for. A bit nerdy sounding, but equally a concern to me as reason #1.

rich

barry
01-11-2007, 04:39 PM
LttlElvis

On the gripper height, here is what Herb sent me.

“It is important that the gripper of the Wise lineup with the string coming through the frame.
We have a template which gives the dimensions of our machine and the height of the
Gripper. It is Free and if you send your full name and address we'll gladly send one
On to you.”
Wise USA
(Herb)

Herb sells an adapter for the Gamma machines which raises the height of the 2086 and you will lose 360 rotations. On my drop weight implementation, I noticed the crosses tension were off because the mounting bracket was to low. The main reason I sold it, building a mount for the drop weight without welding equipment was a pain.

Always something else to buy, not sure but I think the adapter was around $40.

LttlElvis
01-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Barry,

So it is my understanding that Gamma Machines tension tracks are lower (relative to the racquet) than most machines because of the diablo.

This is very interesting to know, and would affect my consideration of combining my Wise Tension Head with a Gamma 6004, which I am very interested in purchasing.

Am I understanding this correctly? Wow, a $40 adapter seems pretty steep.

rich s
01-12-2007, 06:42 PM
So it is my understanding that Gamma Machines tension tracks are lower (relative to the racquet) than most machines because of the diablo.

not necessarily.....it sounds like you are assuming that the gripper height from the track on all manufactures' crank tension heads are the same height, but they don't have to be.

As an example, company A might not incorporate the use of a diablo but its tensioner design is very tall. Whereas company B does incorporate a diablo but there tension head design is considerably shorter than company A's even though company A doesn't have a diablo

Your assumption is like saying: "I'm 6'1", so ALL guys are 6'1"......guys are all different heights...just because they have a gender commonality doesn't mean they are all the same height....thus crank tensions heads can be different heights even though they are all still crank tension heads....

I wouldn't rule out one company over another for using a Wise without doing some research to find out the distance from the top of the track to the string bed.....

my $.02
rich

LttlElvis
01-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks rich s,

I just assumed the Gamma track height must be significantly different if Wise offers an adapter. I'll give Herb a call, because Gamma is probably my next machine choice.

LttlElvis
01-18-2007, 12:54 PM
FYI: I spoke with Herb Wise about his Wise Tension Head. If you do have a Gamma machine, you do need to get an adaptor ($45) which replaces the bracket that holds the Wise Tension Head. He said Gamma has about a 2 inch height difference from the horizontal racquet level than other machines.

barry
01-18-2007, 03:20 PM
FYI: I spoke with Herb Wise about his Wise Tension Head. If you do have a Gamma machine, you do need to get an adaptor ($45) which replaces the bracket that holds the Wise Tension Head. He said Gamma has about a 2 inch height difference from the horizontal racquet level than other machines.

Plus you lose 360 rotation. Probably why the diablo was added to make up the difference.