PDA

View Full Version : I hate Prince Synthetic Gut!

Dho4001
01-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Recently broke my strings and had to get a quick restring due to a tournament the same day. Well I ended up paying $20 dollars for these strings and all I can say is that they are terrible compared to the Yonex topspin, Topspin Cyber Flash and Signum PPP that I usually use. I cant seem to get any spin with these strings compared to the others. Oh well hopefully the Prince will break soon so I wont feel bad replacing 20 dollar crappy strings.

Borat
01-11-2007, 04:33 PM
? Prince synthetic gut is not 20 dollars. Divide by 5.

vinnier6
01-11-2007, 04:45 PM
? Prince synthetic gut is not 20 dollars. Divide by 5.

its probably 20 bucks including the stringing charge...thats what it cost at my club...

ACK4wd
01-11-2007, 04:51 PM
If you are going to consider other synthetic guts, You could try:

For low cost - divided by 5 = Ashaway monogut: "They Rock" - email & ask for samples

same $20 price - Laserfibre supernatural pro stock - has a cult like following

For the same price there is a solid following on this board among Biophase & NXT & Klip Excellerator as favorites among the multi's.

SteveI is a good source on string among the pro stringers.

Right now I'm loving the klip armour gut strings I got in a trade.

(my $.02)

bcsax123
01-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Plenty of spin...and only about $4.00, stringing charge of $15 is alot...that means roughly $20 an hour as a stringer. I might decide to get a job as one.

Maybe you got 16g instead of your normal 17g. If you can't get any spin with PSG, you really need to work on technique.

fuzz nation
01-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Sorry for mastering the obvious (or just bragging), but life with a simple stringing machine is groovy! If you can handle the small investment, I heartily urge you to shop around for one. Once you get comfortable doing it, you can experiment a little without paying $20 or more a shot, and if you string for your friends, the gizmo will pay for itself in a year or two.

P.S. I love Laserfibre synthetic gut: Laserlite XL

Dho4001
01-11-2007, 05:01 PM
ya the $20 included the stringing as well. I usually get my racquets strung for free but because it was such a short notice, I had to pay the charge.

BaseLineBash
01-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Recently broke my strings and had to get a quick restring due to a tournament the same day. Well I ended up paying $20 dollars for these strings and all I can say is that they are terrible compared to the Yonex topspin, Topspin Cyber Flash and Signum PPP that I usually use. I cant seem to get any spin with these strings compared to the others. Oh well hopefully the Prince will break soon so I wont feel bad replacing 20 dollar crappy strings.

Haha... I hear you, loud and clear! I use straight ALU, but out of sheer convenience went to reg. prince synthetic... It's bad, but not as bad as having zero string in my racquet!

Borat
01-11-2007, 05:20 PM
ACK, what is your email?

tennis_hand
01-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Don't give a biased view.
PSG and PSGD are good strings at a low cost. They are even better than those more costly string that even last 3 weeks of tension.

BaseLineBash
01-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Don't give a biased view.
PSG and PSGD are good strings at a low cost. They are even better than those more costly string that even last 3 weeks of tension.

I think reg. gamma synthetic is the best in it's class, probably better than more expensive strings! As for the prince, for me it's too out of control for my liking.

carrwash13
01-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I think PSGD is a great string..my two cents

Tour 90
01-11-2007, 05:30 PM
PSG are nice strings to act as the crosses when stringing poly mains for me, nothin wrong with them. String it higher to make it feel like poly.

prince
01-11-2007, 05:32 PM

you learned your lesson then .
you cant blame the strings you picked - you should have picked a string with similar properties as the ones u use .
If i was using PSG for 10 years and i restring and used natural gut - it will throw off my game too - not that gut sucks but the change in string property .

ACK4wd
01-11-2007, 05:37 PM
borat - email ashaway. they are a us based manufacturer. They often send samples to "test" their strings & then send another for completing a survey. No catch. Their marketing office wants to increase their presence. They are better known for their kevlar strings for tennis & multi-fiber for squash but their poly & synthetics are very good and currently very low cost. TW keeps a good supply but lots of local shops don't

BTW - I personally don't hate psg but they're not my choice either. Really liked biophase for quite a while. I string my son's racquets with inexpensive synthetic gut / poly hybrids because he goes through strings much faster than me.

ssjkyle31
01-11-2007, 05:46 PM
you learned your lesson then .
you cant blame the strings you picked - you should have picked a string with similar properties as the ones u use .
If i was using PSG for 10 years and i restring and used natural gut - it will throw off my game too - not that gut sucks but the change in string property .

I totally agreed. You should of talked to the stringer and try getting something similar. Synthetic gut and poly play way to different because of the physical properties. With synthetic gut, you must string it at least 5-10 lbs more then your regular tension on poly. What you saw was $$$ signs. Just another chapter for "lesson learned."

Roy
01-11-2007, 11:51 PM
it's one of the best syn guts around !!!

Pusher
01-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Sorry for mastering the obvious (or just bragging), but life with a simple stringing machine is groovy! If you can handle the small investment, I heartily urge you to shop around for one. Once you get comfortable doing it, you can experiment a little without paying $20 or more a shot, and if you string for your friends, the gizmo will pay for itself in a year or two.

P.S. I love Laserfibre synthetic gut: Laserlite XL

What do you like about the Laserlite XL? I haven't tried them but I may order a set just to see how they compare.

BaseLineBash
01-12-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm beginning to think weed-whacker string would be better than PSG.;)

Dho4001
01-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Ya, Prince Synthetic is not the worst I have ever played with, but I am still missing the usual strings I use.

ATXtennisaddict
01-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Buy your own stringer (those Klippermates, gamma x-2 etc). Ten string jobs would allow the machine to pay for itself. $15 labor is nuts!

Jr.
01-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I think reg. gamma synthetic is the best in it's class, probably better than more expensive strings! As for the prince, for me it's too out of control for my liking.

i think gamma's great too, but only when they're fresh. after a few hours of hitting with them, their performance drops dramatically

TnTBigman
01-12-2007, 01:13 PM
i like psg. i get a good 3-4 months with em. i find they hold their tension well as opposed to gamma and wilson syn gut i've used in the past. true, it sucks to pay $15 for the stringing service and a stringing machine is definetly a worthwhile get.

PBODY99
01-12-2007, 01:18 PM
No, $15.00 over the cost of the string allows the shop to stay in business. The owner has to factor in the overhead cost, including tax into their pricing. Most shops will put a set price or percentage of the string final cost to them as their mark up, for the lowest priced strings, sometimes that is as much as the "wholesale" price.

Now for that mark up the shop could have asked you what you used last and if you realized that switching string construction types will give you a markedly different feel. We all want expert service, few are willing to pay.
;)I only use17g in Silver or white in PSG .

JW10S
01-12-2007, 03:30 PM
I knew the guy who's company owned Prince before Benetton did. He told me the Prince Synthetic Gut cost, at that time, around 40 cents to make per set.

donnygg
01-14-2007, 05:37 AM
i like psg but not psgd. the latter doesn't seem to bite as well, probably bcos of the slippery aramid coating. i prefer gamma synthetic over both.

tennis_hand
01-17-2007, 07:53 AM
i think gamma's great too, but only when they're fresh. after a few hours of hitting with them, their performance drops dramatically

i have to agree with you.
I strung once with the TNT2 proplus 17. it was crisp and responsive for the first 4 hours. after that, it was dead and felt very stiff without tension.
since then, i moved to PSGD 16. it lasted much longer than the TNT2, although a little more stiff. but the better feeling that lasts for 4 to 5 months is more important than some perfect feeling that only lasts 3 weeks.

i reckon the Gamma syn gut is not much different or even worse than the more expensive TNT2.

tennis_hand
02-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Tried out the 17 version of the PSGD as the shop didn't have the 16 any more.

Strung it at 53/50 on my PS 6.0 95, he 17g is indeed sh!et. 1 Month of playing, the string is moving around a lot and it seems there is no more tension on them. The 16g lasted me for almost 5 months. Never, ever make another mistake again with any 17g strings which are totally crap.

Wondertoy
02-15-2007, 06:42 AM
All syn guts are garbage.

theace21
02-15-2007, 07:04 AM
As string technology has improved, many people have moved away from Prince Synthetic Gut. BUT, it is still very popular with the casual player and is probably the number one selling string of all time.

Hardly garbage - good marketing, name brand recognition, YES. I carry it in wide variety of colors - why, because it sells (and it is cheap)...

tennis_hand
02-15-2007, 05:15 PM
As string technology has improved, many people have moved away from Prince Synthetic Gut. BUT, it is still very popular with the casual player and is probably the number one selling string of all time.

Hardly garbage - good marketing, name brand recognition, YES. I carry it in wide variety of colors - why, because it sells (and it is cheap)...

I agree with you. string technology has improved, and there are better strings, but they are pricey. What's more, most of the times after you paid such a high price for a pack of strings, and you realized they don't last either although they are about 1/3 or 2/3 more expensive. So, at the end, people will still come back to the old type cheap strings, because people feel more value out of the strings.
New strings mostly offer better playability, but tension retention didn't change much, e.g. those multifilaments. I don't consider polyester or kevlar, because they are just stiff and are not cheap either.

I bought 8 packs of Sensation 16 and Wilson ultra sync 16 at a low price in a super market here. gonna try them out. Now these strings cost the same with labor cost as the PSGD sold in the pro shop. :)

Wondertoy
02-15-2007, 07:16 PM
The major cost of stringing is labor, $15-20. PSGD cost $3.80, for a few bucks more you can play with E-Matrix, Poly Megaforce, Polystar Energy, SPPP, Big Hitter and alot of other strings that play much better for a marginal increase in total cost. And if it's for yourself, you only have to pay $5-6 per stringjob off a reel vs. $3.45 for PSGD. It's really a no brainer...

Ronaldo
02-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Tried out the 17 version of the PSGD as the shop didn't have the 16 any more.

Strung it at 53/50 on my PS 6.0 95, he 17g is indeed sh!et. 1 Month of playing, the string is moving around a lot and it seems there is no more tension on them. The 16g lasted me for almost 5 months. Never, ever make another mistake again with any 17g strings which are totally crap.

Try 16g Poly, may last a lifetime.

goober
02-15-2007, 07:25 PM
My pro shop charged $25 for Prince Syn gut so $20 would be a bargain around here. I thought it was fine for a syn gut and a lot of good players still use it. Did you have any other choices for stringing?

Ronaldo
02-15-2007, 07:36 PM
My pro shop charged $25 for Prince Syn gut so $20 would be a bargain around here. I thought it was fine for a syn gut and a lot of good players still use it. Did you have any other choices for stringing?

Floyd the barber must be livin' large stringing in Mayberry?

Pusher
02-15-2007, 07:46 PM
I agree with you. string technology has improved, and there are better strings, but they are pricey. What's more, most of the times after you paid such a high price for a pack of strings, and you realized they don't last either although they are about 1/3 or 2/3 more expensive. So, at the end, people will still come back to the old type cheap strings, because people feel more value out of the strings.
New strings mostly offer better playability, but tension retention didn't change much, e.g. those multifilaments. I don't consider polyester or kevlar, because they are just stiff and are not cheap either.

I bought 8 packs of Sensation 16 and Wilson ultra sync 16 at a low price in a super market here. gonna try them out. Now these strings cost the same with labor cost as the PSGD sold in the pro shop. :)

I've used the pricey strings from natural gut down to tournament nylon. Used hurricane tour and ALU and bi-phase and most of the uber strings. I've found that if its not natural gut it is just nylon and fresh nylon with a soild core hits as good as the rest. I'll take the $3 synthetic gut and restring every 5-10 hours and it will play as well or better than most anything south of natural gut. If you can't hit with synthetic gut then you just can't hit.

Just my opinion.