PDA

View Full Version : Beckham comes to L.A.

edmondsm
01-11-2007, 05:03 PM
David Beckham just signed a contract with the L.A. Galaxy of MLS for $250 million over 5 years. As a soccer fan and supporter of the MLS I recieve this news with guarded optimism. It should be a great draw for the league but I still have yet to read where this small soccer league is going to find 50 mill a year to pay this guy. Unless they think he's going to generate that in future revenue. What do you guys think? And will this move cause you non-soccer fans to tune in or attend a game?

CanadianChic
01-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Will I go see a sport to which I have absolutely no interest in just to see Beckham, or if I'm really lucky, his grossy-thin ex-Spice Girl wife? Nope. lol. I imagine many, many would though. :)

c_zimma
01-11-2007, 05:30 PM
He's looking at 1 mil a week. Wow. Not too bad.

edmondsm
01-11-2007, 05:35 PM
He's looking at 1 mil a week. Wow. Not too bad.

That should cover Posh's make-up and shoe expenditures.

goober
01-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Didn't even realize that LA Galaxy had 250 mil to pay him. That is beyond ridiculous for a lower tier sport (spectatorwise) in the USA. I hope they are not banking on future earnings to pay him.

Docalex007
01-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Oh LA Galaxy can afford to pay him that....

...the rest of the team will be volunteer high school players.

LuckyR
01-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Didn't even realize that LA Galaxy had 250 mil to pay him. That is beyond ridiculous for a lower tier sport (spectatorwise) in the USA. I hope they are not banking on future earnings to pay him.

Shoot, I didn't know the League had $250 million...

LarougeNY
01-11-2007, 05:57 PM
250 million is more than most lotteries. wow...like beckham needs the money, he should just donate it.

LarougeNY
01-11-2007, 05:58 PM
by donate, i meant about 10%....

Phil
01-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Most of his salary will come through advertising endorsment deals. He doesn't have the "brand value" in the US market that he does in Europe, or did in Asia, so they'll have to build his image from the ground up.

Marketing can sell a country full of shopping-crazy suckers just about anything, but I'm not sure how a thin, blond, inarticulate and tatooed pretty boy who doesn't sing or dance or act, but merely kicks a ball playing in the 24th most popular sport in the US (well behind the "sport" of poker), is gonna pull it off. Guess they'll have him selling all sorts of crap, just like he and his skeletor-like wife did in Japan (you guys are lucky you didn't see that, and I don't want to live through it again, so I think I'll stay here for another five years;-))

Docalex007
01-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Of course he doesn't need it! This just goes to show you how the extremely rich become even richer.

$4,000,000 every 30 days for 5 years straight? You gotta be shittin' me. Our society sucks sometimes. That money could go to something that's actually worth it.

But even with all that money he could still only buy not quite three F-22 fighter jets....lol...and the government buys 'em up like skittles. A million dollars just isn't what it used to be.

edmondsm
01-11-2007, 06:13 PM
The funny thing is that a few years ago the league max was $250,000 a year. Beckham's making 4 times that every week.

Docalex007
01-11-2007, 06:21 PM
There's too much money flowin' around everywhere....I need to get in on some of that..

Feña14
01-11-2007, 06:31 PM
The fact is that he's not all that good anymore. He's past his best, kicked out of the England team, couldn't buy a game for Real Madrid with all the money in the world.

I was reading his stats for Madrid in the paper today and has scored 7 goals in 63 matches! That's what? 0.11 goals per game?

I don't think he's going to America as he is a great player that can win silverware for the L.A. Galaxy, I think he's going there to get some exposure for the league and to capture the fans imagination.

diegaa
01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
what a waste. despite what people could think he is still a great player with a great heart. im not a real madrid fan (far from it) but im sad he escapes from europe to play in a minor league.
money can do crappy stuff.

oscar_2424
01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
what a waste. despite what people could think he is still a great player with a great heart. im not a real madrid fan (far from it) but im sad he escapes from europe to play in a minor league.
money can do crappy stuff.

LOL you know anything about football??:)

diegaa
01-11-2007, 06:49 PM
The fact is that he's not all that good anymore. He's past his best, kicked out of the England team, couldn't buy a game for Real Madrid with all the money in the world.

I was reading his stats for Madrid in the paper today and has scored 7 goals in 63 matches! That's what? 0.11 goals per game?

I don't think he's going to America as he is a great player that can win silverware for the L.A. Galaxy, I think he's going there to get some exposure for the league and to capture the fans imagination.

disagree.
"soccer" will never make it in the US. they´ve already tried it hard before and after the 94 WC. as i posted before, he is still a fantastic player. but even if he leads the galaxy to a cham or 2, theres absolutely no glory in it for a player like him.

diegaa
01-11-2007, 06:50 PM
LOL you know anything about football??:)

apparently more than you do.

oscar_2424
01-11-2007, 06:51 PM
If my memory doesnt fail me The US soccer brought PELE to the COSMOS and alot of stars back in the 70"s, it didnt work

oscar_2424
01-11-2007, 06:51 PM
apparently more than you do.

SI sos de river!!!!

diegaa
01-11-2007, 06:53 PM
If my memory doesnt fail me The US soccer brought PELE to the COSMOS and alot of stars back in the 70"s, it didnt work

so what? football and the US are like water and oil.

Feña14
01-11-2007, 06:53 PM
disagree.
"soccer" will never make it in the US. they´ve already tried it hard before and after the 94 WC. as i posted before, he is still a fantastic player. but even if he leads the galaxy to a cham or 2, theres absolutely no glory in it for a player like him.

He was an ok player when he left Man Utd but after his first season at Real Madrid he became a bit of a liability. His goal scoring ratio is pretty poor and most of the 7 goals that he did score were free kicks. He is a good team player and will no doubt inspire the players that he plays with. I think his football school in LA was a big factor in binging him to America, especially with the board members at L.A. Galaxy being involved in some way or another with the school

I do agree about America being past the stage of embracing football. If a World Cup is not enough to ignite passion for the game then nothing is!

oscar_2424
01-11-2007, 06:56 PM
so what? football and the US are like water and oil.

AND I agree with you, please read between the lines

diegaa
01-11-2007, 06:57 PM
He was an ok player when he left Man Utd but after his first season at Real Madrid he became a bit of a liability. His goal scoring ratio is pretty poor and most of the 7 goals that he did score were free kicks.

I do agree about America being past the stage of embracing football. If a World Cup is not enough to ignite passion for the game then nothing is!

oh, please feña. if u were a coach, what would u want beckham for? scoring? cmon. statistics like goal average in football are worhtless (except, MAYBE, for a striker).

diegaa
01-11-2007, 06:58 PM
AND I agree with you, please read between the lines

well, u said before that i dont know about the sport or so.

oscar_2424
01-11-2007, 06:58 PM
But the guy will sell millions and millions of merchandise and in ads, etc . Its just strictly business

Feña14
01-11-2007, 07:02 PM
oh, please feña. if u were a coach, what would u want beckham for? scoring? cmon. statistics like goal average in football are worhtless (except, MAYBE, for a striker).

Of course i'd want him for scoring. The reason why teams like Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Barcelona etc. are successful is that the whole team contribute with goals. Whether it's Ronaldinho, Lampard, Robben, C. Ronaldo, Terry, Essien, Kaka they have to contribute.

Ronaldo has 12 goals already this season, Lampard has 7. Beckham has probably only score 3-4 goals from outfield play in his time at Real Madrid, you think Real Madrid would of accepted that ratio when they brought him? I doubt it.

What do you want Beckham for? To break up play and be a holding man?

edmondsm
01-11-2007, 07:09 PM

It didn't work then because they had an oligarchy of a league where all the revenue for all the teams was coming from the Cosmos. It was successful for a while. They were selling out giants stadium ever game, but when that team went bankrupt because of bad management the league went with it. I thought MLS had learned from the mistakes of the NASL but this Beckham deal makes it look like they're puttin all their chips in one pot again.

diegaa
01-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Of course i'd want him for scoring. The reason why teams like Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Barcelona etc. are successful is that the whole team contribute with goals. Whether it's Ronaldinho, Lampard, Robben, C. Ronaldo, Terry, Essien, Kaka they have to contribute.

Ronaldo has 12 goals already this season, Lampard has 7. Beckham has probably only score 3-4 goals from outfield play in his time at Real Madrid, you think Real Madrid would of accepted that ratio when they brought him? I doubt it.

it depends on the strategy. on real madrid current structure (and past couple of seasons) i wouldn make him play like in Man.Utd, like a semi-winger. The last pure "holding man" at RM was Makelelé. All the guys at the RM midfield could play nice football and know/knew how to treat the ball.
The best performance for him is to be more a playmaker than an attacking mid.
And more: your comparison is not accurate, you r talking about lampard, who is a genious. the other players u named are way more offensive than beckham.

atatu
01-11-2007, 07:30 PM
It didn't work then because they had an oligarchy of a league where all the revenue for all the teams was coming from the Cosmos. It was successful for a while. They were selling out giants stadium ever game, but when that team went bankrupt because of bad management the league went with it. I thought MLS had learned from the mistakes of the NASL but this Beckham deal makes it look like they're puttin all their chips in one pot again.

True, NASL failed, but at the time there were almost no youth soccer programs in the USA, now it's probably the most popular youth sport. Even though it's fashionable to bash the US national team, you have to admit that they are better than they were 30 years ago, and the US women are among the best in the world, so maybe NASL did help in some ways.

edmondsm
01-11-2007, 09:31 PM
True, NASL failed, but at the time there were almost no youth soccer programs in the USA, now it's probably the most popular youth sport. Even though it's fashionable to bash the US national team, you have to admit that they are better than they were 30 years ago, and the US women are among the best in the world, so maybe NASL did help in some ways.

I agree whole-heartedly. I believe that soccer IS the biggest youth sport. I read a statistic that 3 times more kids play soccer than baseball now. Because of the NASL every kid knows the name Pele and a generation of American players who participated in NASL are now in administrative positions throughout U.S. Soccer.

ceejay
01-12-2007, 03:44 AM

Assists. This season he's played 12 matches for Real Madrid, and assisted 12 goals. (http://www.realmadrid.com/articulo/rma25634.htm)

And if some dodgy site that came up after I googled "Beckham assist stats" is to be believed, he had the most assists in La Liga during the 04/05 and 05/06 seasons.

OrangeOne
01-12-2007, 03:50 AM
Maybe soccer would grow in the US if they followed standard naming-rules for US sports and called your league the "World Soccer League", maybe the "Galaxy Soccer League" even.... ;)

PimpMyGame
01-12-2007, 05:07 AM
Or just name the game "American Soccer"!!!

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for both MLS and Beckham. Alexei Lalas is no fool and they will sweat every dollar of their new asset out with merchandising, TV rights, etc etc.

I happen to think that football has big growth potential in the US due to the number of kids playing the game. Beckham is probably Championship (English 2nd tier) standard to and to use some football parlance will be over the moon at this move.

BigServer1
01-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Just so it's out there, the terms of the deal are 5 Years and $51M, with the other $199M to come from endorsements and incentives.

baros
01-12-2007, 10:49 AM
look im going to say it how it is the la galaxy and the rest of this sorry mls are not getting anything he is in his early 30's has not done anything since coming to real madrid didn't do anything for us in the world cup i will say though he is better than any player on that team though but not even worth 100 million why would a person who doesn't like or care for football(soccer) come to watch a game just because of a guy who is a star of that sport he would mean nothing to them

ATXtennisaddict
01-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Just so it's out there, the terms of the deal are 5 Years and $51M, with the other $199M to come from endorsements and incentives.

I was gonna say this as well. It's not a set salary, there are lots of conditions that need to be met.

tennis_nerd22
01-12-2007, 12:31 PM
David Beckham just signed a contract with the L.A. Galaxy of MLS for $250 million over 5 years. As a soccer fan and supporter of the MLS I recieve this news with guarded optimism. It should be a great draw for the league but I still have yet to read where this small soccer league is going to find 50 mill a year to pay this guy. Unless they think he's going to generate that in future revenue. What do you guys think? And will this move cause you non-soccer fans to tune in or attend a game?

its great he's playing here, the US needs improvement to their national soccer team (on the men's anyways) as well as their league (lets not even talk about Canada's... :(). i cant wait to see him play.

and about the money, he will generate future revenue, b/c tons will pay to go see him, including me :)

also, does that $250 million include endorsements? cuz he is supposed to get a lot of endorsements.

edit: i just realized, that earning more than $961 000 a week sounds pretty good :) its just funny how he will be making the amount of money a rich person would earn in a year everyday (including holidays :D)... almost $137 000

jamumafa
01-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Adidas are paying a boatload of this fee. They want Beckham in America selling products for them

Ross K
01-12-2007, 01:12 PM
It's an obscene amount of money, and for what? It's certainly not for being one of the world's supreme players. The guy was at his peak 6 years ago or something (not that he was ever one of the world's best.) Apart from his free kicks and passing skills, he's well past it. He's certainly no Thierry Henri or Ronaldinho. About the only thing him and his missus do excel at is shopping. So, yet again 'brand-Beckham' stands ready to earn even more astronomical sums of moolah, and yet again another country braces itself for the sophisticated tastes of Posh.

malakas
01-12-2007, 01:26 PM
At last!!!He's getting the hell out of Europe!:twisted: Won't have to see him again in a CL game!!:D not that he played that often lately!!:mrgreen:
Never liked the guy and the money he earns every day!Jesus!
I am afraid though he will dissapoint the US fans..:neutral: don't except him to do that good to usa's football.Too bad.A strong football league in North America would be a great thing for this amazing sport.

CanadianChic
01-12-2007, 06:44 PM
I saw him on ET today saying how he wants to bring the sport to the US, it has nothing to do with money. Nothing to do with money. What's that smell? I think someone's blowin' a little smoke up our arses - please, 250m over 5 years? ALL it has to do with is money!! He could give a rat's *** about the enrichment of American sports. Too funny!!! :)

sportsfan92
01-12-2007, 06:47 PM
US fans? of Beckham?.... i'd say majority don't know who he is. saw a spot on the news where they took his mug out and asked people on the streets who he was. they knew him as well as most of the cabinet and congress here. which is ***blank stare***um, i dunno..... bets on how long until he shows up in a film or TV show?

CanadianChic
01-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Reminds me of the Leno clips where they somehow manage to find the dumbest people know to man to ask who the President is. But yet - funny every time!! :)

sportsfan92
01-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Reminds me of the Leno clips where they somehow manage to find the dumbest people know to man to ask who the President is. But yet - funny every time!! :)

yup....sad really.

you on the chat?

CanadianChic
01-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I went there but no one was there - are you on it now?

sportsfan92
01-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I went there but no one was there - are you on it now?

si...........

tennis_nerd22
01-12-2007, 07:48 PM
At last!!!He's getting the hell out of Europe!:twisted: Won't have to see him again in a CL game!! not that he played that often lately!!
Never liked the guy and the money he earns every day!Jesus!
I am afraid though he will dissapoint the US fans..:neutral: don't except him to do that good to usa's football.Too bad.A strong football league in North America would be a great thing for this amazing sport.

haha there you are malakas! whats up... btw long live zidane :D

edmondsm
01-12-2007, 11:52 PM
I saw him on ET today saying how he wants to bring the sport to the US, it has nothing to do with money. Nothing to do with money. What's that smell? I think someone's blowin' a little smoke up our arses - please, 250m over 5 years? ALL it has to do with is money!! He could give a rat's *** about the enrichment of American sports. Too funny!!! :)

Come on, you've never been that cynical CananianChica. Beckham has plenty of money. If it was all about the pay-off, he would have taken the easy route, signed with Madrid, and collected checks while he rode the bench. I personally don't think Beckham is made of pure capitalistic evil. I think he is has always been a great ambassedor for the sport. He works his *** off on the field (anyone who has watched him play knows this) is a humanitarian. Yeah, he's materialistic, but nobody's perfect.

PimpMyGame
01-14-2007, 02:54 AM
^^^^Good point above re work rate. He may be the second highest-paid sportsman in the US with this deal but I bet they will make him earn it too.

9000tennis
01-14-2007, 07:30 AM
I think Beckham made the right choice of getting out of Europe. Mainly to protect himself and his family. In Europe he has become one of the most hated players I think. He had some offers to return to England, but I think it would be a personal nightmare for him, especially if he doesn't play extremely well in every match. So to end his career and be able to have a more quiet life I think he made the right decision to go to the US.

Of course, it is ridiculous how much money he makes. Money is truly destroying football ( or soccer for you US people).

I think Beckam as a player is somewhat over the hill. I doubt that he will be the mega star in the US, people expect him to be. But then again, I don't think there was any other place he could go to.

By the way L.A Galaxy fans. My favourite and local team Aalborg Bk in Denmark has Danny Califf, who used to play for Galaxy. He is one mean guy. Great defender, and many strikers here fear him, because they know they are going to get hurt if they run into him.

malakas
01-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I think Beckham made the right choice of getting out of Europe. Mainly to protect himself and his family. In Europe he has become one of the most hated players I think. He had some offers to return to England, but I think it would be a personal nightmare for him, especially if he doesn't play extremely well in every match. So to end his career and be able to have a more quiet life I think he made the right decision to go to the US.

Of course, it is ridiculous how much money he makes. Money is truly destroying football ( or soccer for you US people).

I think Beckam as a player is somewhat over the hill. I doubt that he will be the mega star in the US, people expect him to be. But then again, I don't think there was any other place he could go to.

By the way L.A Galaxy fans. My favourite and local team Aalborg Bk in Denmark has Danny Califf, who used to play for Galaxy. He is one mean guy. Great defender, and many strikers here fear him, because they know they are going to get hurt if they run into him.

Yes,you are right.He is much hated-he and his anorexic wife.
But in the USA,he will dissapoint.He could very well choose to go to Arabia or Russia where there is big money flowin around like so many about to retire players do.There ppl would love him and he would satisfy his huge ego.
But no!He had to do what his wife wanted and went on to L.A!!:roll:

and yes,american football players in general do harsh fouls.Hope they do many to him and don't get too scared.lol :twisted: :p

malakas
01-14-2007, 11:06 AM
haha there you are malakas! whats up... btw long live zidane :D

Yup here I am.Still mourning about that red card.:p

Buuurnz
01-16-2007, 07:01 AM
beckham sucks...he is no good anymore....he was when he played for ManU but now he is just another Popstar that pretends to play soccer!

Craig Sheppard
01-16-2007, 07:21 AM
So I was just having a discussion about this w/ a soccer-playing friend. I don't play soccer, and I don't watch soccer (regularly). I have watched a fair bit of World Cup and a handful of English Premiere League games, so I'm not a total noob, but I don't consider myself a fan really.

That being said, if I had an MLS team near me, I don't think I'd ever buy tickets for a game. But if Beckham and the LA Galaxy was coming to this MLS team near me, I'd go buy a ticket. That's the effect Beckham will have on the league... They'll get a jump in ticket sales the first few times around, and maybe some of those fans will stick.

This same thing happened when Ichiro came to the MLB. I was excited to see him when the Mariners played the A's (my then local team). I saw a few games and quickly became an Ichiro fan...

Take it or leave it, I think it's a good move for the MLS and Beckham. Maybe it'll make some more soccer fans in the US. Nothing wrong with that.

Azzurri
01-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Fellas......I have attached an article that will explain his "250" million dollar contract. Its no where near that....please read.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=399597&root=mls&cc=5901

edmondsm
01-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Fellas......I have attached an article that will explain his "250" million dollar contract. Its no where near that....please read.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=399597&root=mls&cc=5901

Thanks for the link. It calms my worries about this leading to a collapse of the MLS.

SalvadorVeiga
01-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Assists. This season he's played 12 matches for Real Madrid, and assisted 12 goals. (http://www.realmadrid.com/articulo/rma25634.htm)

And if some dodgy site that came up after I googled "Beckham assist stats" is to be believed, he had the most assists in La Liga during the 04/05 and 05/06 seasons.

Read it carefully "ASSISTS RESULTIN IN GOALS - 1"

Beckam has no future whatsoever... Real Madrid with their strategy of making a GALACTIC Team with Galactic players just ruined their team... Their administration need to learn that Great players don't make a great team... Look upon FC Porto of Jose Mourinho when they won the UEFA Cup and Champions League 2 years straight... half the team, the players came from 2nd Division Teams of Portuguese Championship

ceejay
01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Read it carefully "ASSISTS RESULTIN IN GOALS - 1"

Hmmm, that is true. Any idea what the Assists = 12 mean then? I was under the impression that assists, by definition, always result in goals.

SalvadorVeiga
01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Come on, you've never been that cynical CananianChica. Beckham has plenty of money. If it was all about the pay-off, he would have taken the easy route, signed with Madrid, and collected checks while he rode the bench. I personally don't think Beckham is made of pure capitalistic evil. I think he is has always been a great ambassedor for the sport. He works his *** off on the field (anyone who has watched him play knows this) is a humanitarian. Yeah, he's materialistic, but nobody's perfect.

Well if you think that in a single MONTH we would win more than what he earned in a YEAR in Real Madrid... that gives you some thinking I guess...Would you reffuse such contract ?

alwaysatnet
01-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Yes,you are right.He is much hated-he and his anorexic wife.
But in the USA,he will dissapoint.He could very well choose to go to Arabia or Russia where there is big money flowin around like so many about to retire players do.There ppl would love him and he would satisfy his huge ego.
But no!He had to do what his wife wanted and went on to L.A!!:roll:

and yes,american football players in general do harsh fouls.Hope they do many to him and don't get too scared.lol :twisted: :p
Which would you rather do? Party with the stars and hang out on the beach in LA or freeze to death in Russia and deal with Putin and Russian mob(which are one and the same).Beckham is indeed over the hill and was smart to get out of a bad situation and make a new start(and millions of bucks) somewhere else.He will no more "save" American soccer than Pele could.Soccer here is definitely a third tier sport and it's hard to see how that could change.Well,maybe when every other person in Mexico has moved here.But other than that,don't hold your breath.

SalvadorVeiga
01-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Hmmm, that is true. Any idea what the Assists = 12 mean then? I was under the impression that assists, by definition, always result in goals.

I think they refer to as Assists, in opportunities for goal created, and by those means 12 is pretty low... When you said that beckam had the most assists I doubted it because the best player they had was Figo...He was the only non-spoiled guy in there... Real Madrid just didn't treat him right, but he's in a deserved place now at Inter****onale... He will turn Italian champion in the end of the year, and he's still considered one of the best team players...

malakas
01-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I think they refer to as Assists, in opportunities for goal created, and by those means 12 is pretty low... When you said that beckam had the most assists I doubted it because the best player they had was Figo...He was the only non-spoiled guy in there... Real Madrid just didn't treat him right, but he's in a deserved place now at Inter****onale... He will turn Italian champion in the end of the year, and he's still considered one of the best team players...

:confused:
Assists are when there is a goal-otherwise they are just passes!

Heh,and Real is dumping Raoul also!:twisted: :mrgreen:

SalvadorVeiga
01-24-2007, 04:12 PM
:confused:
Assists are when there is a goal-otherwise they are just passes!

Heh,and Real is dumping Raoul also!:twisted: :mrgreen:

nop...assists are passes that can result in a goal that the other player could not conclude... Here in Europe we use those stats for example: Assists for a goal and assists resulting in a goal... assists for a goal don't have to end with a goal it's just a pass that created a big opportunity for a goal but somehow didnt managed to score (GK defending, striker missing it, etc...)

Figo just led Inter Milano to the Italian Cup Final with 2 assists... resulting in goal ;) lol once again Figo proves to be at top of his shape...although is in the end of his career he is still one of the most important players

Ross K
01-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Still talking Beckham?

What more is there to say other than he's being paid a stupid amount of money (that only a stupid person would turn down.) He was once a very good footballer... erm... he has been over-hyped beyond belief... erm... not everyone finds his unhealthy wife to be so charming and talented... erm... nobody is worth the money the Americans are paying him, least of all a player whose time at the very top of the game and whose appropriate skills have already begun to wane - but saying that, he can bring about a certain exposure and publicity... erm... isn't that it?