PDA

View Full Version : Which reel of cheap synthetic gut.

fluffy Beaver
01-12-2007, 06:19 AM
KLIP Kicker 17 Synthetic Gut String Reel

Tecnifibre SyntheticGut 15L 660' String Reel

Wilson Extreme SyntheticGut 16 660 Reel

Prince Synthetic Gut 17 Duraflex String Reels

Gosen OG Micro 16 660' String Reel

I picked these strings based on that they are not too expensive. The only one I have used is the Gosen. If you could compare the other strings to it, it would help a lot. Also, any reels of cheap synthetics i do not have posted above would be nice to be recomended.

Nuke
01-12-2007, 07:00 AM
The Gosen is a pretty good choice. The Prince with Duraflex is a bit stiffer and holds up longer if you're a topspin player, but it's more expensive than the Gosen.

I haven't used it, but there's a bunch of folks here who like Ashaway Liberty if you're looking for cheap cyngut.

hadoken
01-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Tecnifibre is garbage, the worst string I have played with. I'm a fan of Gosen, but it has pretty bad durability for a 16g. The Duraflex 17g is gonna snap faster than your other strings, but it plays the crispest and probably would rate the highest. The Wilson is OK- there was nothing about it that impressed me but I had nothing bad to say about the string either.

I would go with the Duraflex, Gosen, Wilson and some other brand instead of Technifibre.

flash9
01-12-2007, 07:53 AM
I like the Gosen OG Micro 17 660' String Reel

fluffy Beaver
01-12-2007, 08:35 AM
hmm seems no one has tried the klip kicker, thx for the rest of the info. Also for any one who has used wilson Ultra synthetic (usually found in sports authority and such) is it similar to wilson extreme synthetic?

Pusher
01-12-2007, 10:30 AM
KLIP Kicker 17 Synthetic Gut String Reel

Tecnifibre SyntheticGut 15L 660' String Reel

Wilson Extreme SyntheticGut 16 660 Reel

Prince Synthetic Gut 17 Duraflex String Reels

Gosen OG Micro 16 660' String Reel

Gosen is good but it is a little stiff.

You left some good reels off your list.

Babolat Superfine Play/Conquest.

Head PPS Gut

Gamma gut

Ashaway (try the Liberty-very cheap)

Forten Sweet

Bottle Rocket
01-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Gosen OG Micro 16 660' String Reel!

Its $30!I've got a reel for myself and it is great.

TonyB
01-12-2007, 01:33 PM
I've tried Klip Kicker. Very stiff. I didn't like it at all.

I absolutely love the Ashaway Liberty. Plays nice and soft, decent power, great spin, doesn't move around much, and it's cheaper than dirt. A 720 foot roll only costs $25. Single packs are only $1.89. I get about 6-8 hours out of a set before it breaks. But it holds tension incredibly well for what it is. And frankly, I don't mind spending less than 2 bucks every week or so for strings that play well. I get to keep a nice fresh stringbed by stringing frequently and the performance is excellent. Besides, most other strings start losing tension after 6-8 hours anyway. So, it's either play with a constantly-changing stringbed and have longer-lasting strings, or play with the Liberty that breaks more quickly, but maintains tension well during that time.

vkartikv
01-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Gosen has a 'slippery' feel to it, for lack of a better word. I use PSGD 17 or 18 on my crosses all the time, its the best string for its price.

theace21
01-12-2007, 02:37 PM
I have been on the Gosen bandwagon for a couple of years. Plays good and is dirt cheap.

Doc Hollidae
01-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Gosen is the way to go if durability isn't a factor.

!Tym
01-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Forten Sweet 17 truly is sweet. It's my favorite synthetic gut all-around, very comfortable, and well sweet feeling. Just a great all around string, that doesn't stand out in any one area other than it plays a little softer than other synthetic guts, yet without being mushy like NRG2 type strings. Laserfibre synthetic gut, however, is definitely the best for crisp pop; but it doesn't come in reels that I know of and is a bit expensive for a basic synthetic gut. It's a lot like Laserfibre Tour in that it's very crisp, and has a kind of explosive popping sound behind it.

Gosen, not the generic one that is, is very crisp as well, but feels a bit more hallowed out compared to the Laserfibre synthetic gut. The Laserfibre synthetic gut is a little more solid and powerful feeling, other than that they're pretty comparable.

Pusher
01-14-2007, 05:42 AM
I've tried Klip Kicker. Very stiff. I didn't like it at all.

I absolutely love the Ashaway Liberty. Plays nice and soft, decent power, great spin, doesn't move around much, and it's cheaper than dirt. A 720 foot roll only costs $25. Single packs are only $1.89. I get about 6-8 hours out of a set before it breaks. But it holds tension incredibly well for what it is. And frankly, I don't mind spending less than 2 bucks every week or so for strings that play well. I get to keep a nice fresh stringbed by stringing frequently and the performance is excellent. Besides, most other strings start losing tension after 6-8 hours anyway. So, it's either play with a constantly-changing stringbed and have longer-lasting strings, or play with the Liberty that breaks more quickly, but maintains tension well during that time.

You can't beat fresh strings, IMO. String cheap and string often.

I haven't tried the Liberty because they don't offer a 17 gauge. On an 18x20 stringbed a 16ga just doesn't seem to get it done for me.

Pusher
01-14-2007, 05:48 AM
Forten Sweet 17 truly is sweet. It's my favorite synthetic gut all-around, very comfortable, and well sweet feeling. Just a great all around string, that doesn't stand out in any one area other than it plays a little softer than other synthetic guts, yet without being mushy like NRG2 type strings. Laserfibre synthetic gut, however, is definitely the best for crisp pop; but it doesn't come in reels that I know of and is a bit expensive for a basic synthetic gut. It's a lot like Laserfibre Tour in that it's very crisp, and has a kind of explosive popping sound behind it.

Gosen, not the generic one that is, is very crisp as well, but feels a bit more hallowed out compared to the Laserfibre synthetic gut. The Laserfibre synthetic gut is a little more solid and powerful feeling, other than that they're pretty comparable.

Hi Tym,

I'm interested in the Forten Sweet 17 but I can't tell if its 1.20 diameter or 1.25. On the TW website it lists it at 1.20 but the Forten website lists it at a higher diameter (1.25?). I would probably try it if it was 1.20.

The actual diameter of the string is important to me as I use a racquet with an 18x20 stringbed and I like the thinner strings-without dropping down to an 18 gauge.

BigGriff
01-14-2007, 01:08 PM
I was using Gosen OG Micro 17 and Prince Synthetic Gut but RSI Magazine rated Klip Kicker higher than both of them. It held tension better and was softer on the arm.

I bought a reel of Klip Kicker and was pleasantly surprised. After approximately 20 hrs. of heavy topspin play, the string held up nicely. I use it in hybrids all the time.

Head PPS 18g was another highly rated string in RSI but durability will be an issue on full jobs because of the gauge.

Bogie
01-14-2007, 01:28 PM
prince syn gut duraflex> og micro> everything else

!Tym
01-14-2007, 01:51 PM
You can't beat fresh strings, IMO. String cheap and string often.

I haven't tried the Liberty because they don't offer a 17 gauge. On an 18x20 stringbed a 16ga just doesn't seem to get it done for me.

In my opinion, it's definitely not 1.20mm. It's definitely 1.25mm. I have esp and can almost "sense" these sort of things when I play...(though just between you and me, one only need take one look at the string in your racket to see that it is DEFINITELY not 1.20mm thin).

That said, I too like you don't generally use anything that's not 1.20mm or below; however, the Forten Sweet 17 is an exception. It has a somewhat unique pearlized coating type feel to it that I really like. It's a great cross string for hybrid jobs in my opinion, and just a really nice feel. It's like the old Prince Synthetic Gut Soft but just a little bit better in terms of feel for me. I would give one set a try, and you never know...even in an 18x20 pattern. It's certainly cheap enough to give it a spin around the block at least once.

To me, the Forten Sweet 17 is the undiscovered gem among basic synthetic guts. It's a shame, that this string and their 17L kevlar gear (which for the record just RIPS the cover off a ball, far superior to Prince Pro Blend in my opinion, a really nice, sharp, raw, manly in a Rambo First Blood sort of way, biting response that's kind of unique even among kevlars) don't get more play just because Forten is a small, no frills, company whose brand image leaves them as being not seen as a "premium" botique supplier like Sigma or something.

In other words, even though it's not a thin 17g, I'd still use it over other synthetic guts out there for sure. It just feels better to me, and that makes up for the difference. It does everything really well in my opinion, no surprises, and better touch and feel than other synthetic guts, with very decent spin potential as well.

Btw, as an addendum, I used to use this string on and off in my Head Pyramid Tour MPs which is by far the densest stringing pattern I've ever seen on a racket, even denser than the Prestige Classic 600, even though also an 18x20 pattern. Despite this, the Forten Sweet 17 in purple or optic yellow color (never tried the white TW now offers, sometimes the color dye slightly affects the way a string plays) was one of the best fits I found for the racket. I really like it. Was the only 1.25mm string I'd consider using in it to be even more specific (though Laserfibre Laser Tour I would too but it's way overpriced for a slightly enhanced basic synthetic gut in my opinion).

Pusher
01-14-2007, 06:16 PM
To me, the Forten Sweet 17 is the undiscovered gem among basic synthetic guts. It's a shame, that this string and their 17L kevlar gear (which for the record just RIPS the cover off a ball, far superior to Prince Pro Blend in my opinion, a really nice, sharp, raw, manly in a Rambo First Blood sort of way, biting response that's kind of unique even among kevlars) don't get more play just because Forten is a small, no frills, company whose brand image leaves them as being not seen as a "premium" botique supplier like Sigma or something.

Thanks Tym, thats a very informative review. I will definitly get a set and hopefully it will be as good for me as it is for you. I'll let you know how it works out.

wksoh
02-25-2007, 07:03 AM
Liberty 16 at the moment...

wksoh
02-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Liberty 16 at the moment...

After playing more with this string, found that multis still have more power... the price says it all.

nhstennis
03-15-2007, 11:43 PM
liberty or babolat super fine.Which is more playable (power control spin capabilities) of course feel????

MaxT
07-20-2007, 10:24 AM
I use prince synthetic gut 17 classic, not duraflex, for many years.

goosala
07-20-2007, 11:42 AM
The Klip Kicker is a middle of the road syn gut as far as feel. I have a reel of Gosen OG Micro and it is a soft syn gut compared to PSGD which is crisper/firmer because of the Duraflex. The Tecnifibre syn gut is similar to the Klip Kicker as far as feel. I tried the Ashaway Liberty 16 strung extremely tight at 70 lbs. in my K90 and it lasted about 8 minutes. I also agree that you should string cheap and string often. I found syn gut as cheap as $1.75 for 16 gauge and it comes in all colors.

tbini87
07-20-2007, 01:27 PM
gosen for 30 bucks. forten nylon for 17... haha

netman
07-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Gosen generic reels are the best deal going. Premium string for ridiculously low prices.

-k-

budkid
07-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Gosen OG Micro 16 660' String Reel!

Its $30!I've got a reel for myself and it is great.

+1...it is great!

staedtler
07-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Another vote for the Gosen. I gotta buy me a reel cuz last time I played with the Gosen OG, it was a pleasant experience.

Bent
07-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Forten Nylon is rather stiff.

Liberty is nice and soft.

mrw
07-27-2007, 04:19 AM
I just started stringing and have been using Gosen 17.

I love the stuff

Dover
07-27-2007, 04:34 AM
Anyone have thoughts on Head RIP Control?

Nuke
07-27-2007, 05:20 AM
Rip Control is a good string but it doesn't fit the title of this thread: reels of cheap synthetic gut. RC is about $100 a reel, so it's hardly cheap compared to most of the other strings mentioned here. It's more of a multi than a syn gut, too. I've played with it, and I liked the spin I could generate with it, but I think I get more bang for the buck with the cheaper polys (Cyber Flash and Big Hitter).

shojun25
07-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Personally, I'd pick gosen out of all of them. OG Micro and PSG (no duraflex) are very similar. Wilson's syn gut breaks too fast and loses tension way too fast. However, I have not tried Technifibre syn gut as well as KLIP syn gut.

budkid
07-27-2007, 07:37 PM
well it it is a good hybrid with Gosen OG sheep mains and rip control crosses. That was my setup throughout high school years.

Steve Huff
07-27-2007, 07:41 PM
So, when did PSGD become cheap? At over $60, it's twice as expensive as some of the others. I used Gosen OG Micro for a while. But it broke a few times while stringing, or before being played with. I haven't had the same problem with individual sets, but the reels seemed to be a different string. The reels also seemed oily. Didn't reorder it. As someone mentioned, TF wasn't that good either. Very brittle with poor durability. I use Wilson Stamina frequently for a synthetic. At about $45/reel, it's much cheaper than the PSGD, and has at least as good durability. I just oredered a reel of Pro Supex Titan, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It's a silver 17g string. Bab. Super Fine Play isn't bad. I haven't ordered reels yet, but every once in a while, I'll see ind. sets on sale for $2.50. I may look for a reel next time. Liberty is similar to the old blue spiral nylon. It's soft, doesn't play that bad, usually 15L in gauge I think, so durability is at least average, and makes a pretty nice cross string in a hybrid. No outstanding qualities, but fairly consistent I think. Others to consider--Alpha Tenacity (similar to PSGD and a little less expensive), Gamma Synthetic (comes in lots of colors), Head Synthetic (17g is 1.20, so pay attention to what you order), Leoina 66--a fairly good, basic nylon.

Custom+Hybrid
07-27-2007, 07:46 PM
To me, the Forten Sweet 17 is the undiscovered gem among basic synthetic guts.

don't get more play just because Forten is a small, no frills, company whose brand image leaves them as being not seen as a "premium" botique supplier like Sigma or something.

No doubt. Forten Sweet is a great string. I use it for crosses on poly mains. If it was a Babolat or some other popular brand string and marketed under a cool name, It'd prolly sell like crazy.

nickarnold2000
07-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks Tym, thats a very informative review. I will definitly get a set and hopefully it will be as good for me as it is for you. I'll let you know how it works out.
Hi, I'm very interested how you made out with the Forten sweet 17? Any durability problems with this string?