PDA

View Full Version : hand shake

lendl lives
08-23-2004, 09:35 AM
has anyone ever refused to shake your hand after losing a match to you? if so how did you handle it? did you continue to play them?

norcal
08-24-2004, 07:51 AM
I refused to shake hands a couple times with guys who hooked like fishermen. And it wasn't sour grapes since I won both matches. And no, I would never hit with them again. But it was in tourneys so it wasn't my choice in the first place.

lendl lives
08-24-2004, 10:22 AM
i could see that. but in this match there was no hooking. the other guy just lost.

Camilio Pascual
08-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Over the decades, it's happened a few times. Here's one. I was at the enlightened age of 19 and playing for about the 6th time or so with a college student I met on the courts. He asked me how some girl looked that was near the water fountain. I told him she looked great now, but she would be a pig in 10 years. Yep, she was his sister. Yep, he was going to introduce her to this nice guy he had been playing tennis with. Yep, he did not shake my hand. Yep, he was right not to.

Ace
08-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Did you beat him like, say, 6-1, 6-1, then tell him after the match that you weren't playing very good that day?

So you have no idea why he wouldn't shake your hand? Did he appear mad?

lendl lives
08-24-2004, 11:42 AM
normally he's a cool guy but when it comes to losing, he gets goes ballistic. i've noticed that he's humble and i can be a bit snobbish sometimes but i admire his game and naturally respect him so i don't thing i did anything wrong. but who knows.

Phil
08-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Over the decades, it's happened a few times. Here's one. I was at the enlightened age of 19 and playing for about the 6th time or so with a college student I met on the courts. He asked me how some girl looked that was near the water fountain. I told him she looked great now, but she would be a pig in 10 years. Yep, she was his sister. Yep, he was going to introduce her to this nice guy he had been playing tennis with. Yep, he did not shake my hand. Yep, he was right not to.

But you said she "looked great now...", which is a nice compliment; the guy should have taken it as such! Do you ever wonder if you were right-i.e. on the second part of your statement? If it were my sister, I would have laughed and STILL introduced you to her.

goober
08-24-2004, 08:32 PM
I refused to shake hands a couple times with guys who hooked like fishermen. And it wasn't sour grapes since I won both matches. And no, I would never hit with them again. But it was in tourneys so it wasn't my choice in the first place.

This is why I don't like playing in tourneys. People seem to lose their temper or the ethics when something is actually riding on the outcome.

Camilio Pascual
08-25-2004, 04:29 AM
Phil - Thanks for the compliment. But, what if things worked out well and your sister and I got married? We'd both have a brother in law who can be..., well, difficult. LOL

tennis-n-sc
08-25-2004, 01:28 PM
I refused to shake a guy's hand after a tournament match in which he self-rated himself at least two levels lower than his actual level. He beat me pretty bad and I was quite angry. A few days later, I regretted my actions and vowed to never display such a lack of sportsmanship again. I realized it wasn't about my opponent's credibility, but mine.

Camilio Pascual
08-27-2004, 10:31 AM
I refused to shake a guy's hand after a tournament match in which he self-rated himself at least two levels lower than his actual level. He beat me pretty bad and I was quite angry. A few days later, I regretted my actions and vowed to never display such a lack of sportsmanship again. I realized it wasn't about my opponent's credibility, but mine.

I think you did the right thing. People like this should get some negative feedback for their behaviour. It would make tennis a bettter sport if these sandbaggers get shunned or called out on what they do.

tennis-n-sc
08-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Camilio, I thought the same at first. Sandbaggers won't have any affect on the big picture but my actions reflect me. There should be something done about samdbaggers but most tournament directors just don't care. Funny thing about this guy, he met another sandbagger in the finals and lost. What goes around.......

Phil
08-28-2004, 12:20 AM
Camilio - You would consider me an absolute ANGEL after you met the rest of the family! They tend to take a while to warm-up to people-like 12 years or so...