PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic gut or Nylon?

Borat
01-12-2007, 10:27 PM
What is the difference btw synthetic gut strings and nylon strings such as Toalson Nylon, Forten nylon, and Prince Tournament nylon. If there is a difference, how do nylons play compared to Synthetic gut?

dancraig
01-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Both strings are made of mostly nylon. The lower priced ones are called "Nylon" or "Tournament Nylon". I think they are probably made of a lower quality nylon with less expensive manufactoring processes. "Synthethic gut" has no legal meaning, in my opinion. It usually refers to a string of good quality that has a center core with an outer wrap and or coating. Multifilament string is almost never marketed as "synthetic gut" because everyone assumes "synthetic gut" is a mono filament string, with a wrap. Prince is introducing an oxymoron soon. They are coming out with a new multifiament string called Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament.

One of the hardest hitters in my area has me string his racquets with Forten Competition Nylon 16g..

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACFORTEN-FNR16.html

damasta55
01-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Nylon=Synthetic GUt except (the material is nylon without additives like "marketing" firbers)cheaper

Valjean
01-13-2007, 04:50 AM
Do a board search first on this (and any other) topic; this one has been addressed here many times before.