PDA

View Full Version : breaking racquets

kthomas
08-23-2004, 12:00 PM
I've broke my 5th racquet this summer just recently and I am so frustrated w/ the game trying to develop a good serve. I think I have pretty decent groundstrokes. I'd say im a 4.0 player and a good serve would boost my level up a lot. What can I do when I get mad instead of breaking racquets?

also, what are some good racquets to play with? i've played w/ everything basically but I dont know what racquet to get.

thanks,

Keith

Bungalo Bill
08-23-2004, 12:03 PM
I've broke my 5th racquet this summer just recently and I am so frustrated w/ the game trying to develop a good serve. I think I have pretty decent groundstrokes. I'd say im a 4.0 player and a good serve would boost my level up a lot. What can I do when I get mad instead of breaking racquets?

also, what are some good racquets to play with? i've played w/ everything basically but I dont know what racquet to get.

thanks,

Keith

Keith as a 4.0 player you should probably know what kinds of racquets work well for your game. There are so many racquets out there I would be hesitant to point you to a racquet that might not be appropriate. What do you currently play with now?

What is it about your serve that frustrates you the most? What happens when you serve, does the ball go into the net or long?

Is the trouble in your toss? Your service motion? Are you happy with the pace on your serve but frustrated with your placement?

kthomas
08-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Well the racquet I last broke was a volkl tour 10 mid v-engine. i think it was a pretty solid racquet. now im just playing w/ an old wilson til I figure out what racquet I wanna go with. I think I have a good flat serve w/ pace... I just have problems hitting a kick serve. I want one w/ a lot of kick and pace like roddicks and that is what frustrates me. everytime i play a game i always double fault a lot and it really gets annoying. ha, I just got his cap today from tw.. maybe that'll help.. lol. i guess it's the motion that throws me off. i mean everyone says different things about the kick serve.. i saw this one guy in person throw his toss way to the left but I dont know if that's right. my flat serve is 113mph. so i have no problem hitting pace.. i just wanna good kick serve!! thanx for responding so fast.

Camilio Pascual
08-23-2004, 12:11 PM
I've broke my 5th racquet this summer just recently and I am so frustrated w/ the game trying to develop a good serve. also, what are some good racquets to play with?
thanks,
Keith

In your case, cheap racquets. Get the Prince Precision demos for $50 a shot, they are pre-strung. Good luck.

dozu
08-23-2004, 12:23 PM
Kids today !!

those rackets are probably bot with daddie's money or a gift from grandma... when you have to get up at 5am and earn newspaper delivery money to buy a racket, you'd think thrice before you throw it into the ground.

Also I wonna add.... you think you so cool throwing racket like the pro's do... look closely how Roddick does it.. throw it flat down and spread the impact on the entire frame!

throw it down on the side and you break it... you are only as cool as an amateur thrower.

Mikael
08-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Keith, I know what you mean about the frustration of not being able to hit a reliable topspin serve. I have experienced it myself for a long time, until recently. Read my reply in the other thread about how to hit a topspin serve. The advice may help you the same way it helped me. You seem to have solid serving mechanics to start with, so the key is to unlock the correct swingpath for the topspin serve, the correct feel.

kevhen
08-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Cheap racquets would be the way to go until you can find a more suitable way of expressing your anger, like punching yourself in the face.

Bungalo Bill
08-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Well the racquet I last broke was a volkl tour 10 mid v-engine. i think it was a pretty solid racquet. now im just playing w/ an old wilson til I figure out what racquet I wanna go with. I think I have a good flat serve w/ pace... I just have problems hitting a kick serve. I want one w/ a lot of kick and pace like roddicks and that is what frustrates me. everytime i play a game i always double fault a lot and it really gets annoying. ha, I just got his cap today from tw.. maybe that'll help.. lol. i guess it's the motion that throws me off. i mean everyone says different things about the kick serve.. i saw this one guy in person throw his toss way to the left but I dont know if that's right. my flat serve is 113mph. so i have no problem hitting pace.. i just wanna good kick serve!! thanx for responding so fast.

Ohhh, ouch nice racquet.

I play with a Volkl racquet and still can get some good kick on my balls. The problem with Volkl racquets (V10 and the Tour 10) is that they have a dense string pattern that some people have a hard time generating spin with.

The Wilson racquets and a few players racquets from Prince have a more open string pattern to help with spin. I think the Babalot racquets do as well, however, if you play with a Volkl racquet, the Babalots seem to be a bit more powerful compared to Volkls. I wasn't willing to adjust my swing to get a Babalot racquet. I hit plenty hard and like a racquet with a lot of control.

You also my try a Dunlop (300g or 200g) racquet as well.

The Head Presitige is a good racquet but then again you enter the world of dense string patterns.

Wilson probably makes the most players racquets that have an open string pattern. Prostaff pops into my head when I say this.

But I would try practicing what I mention below first to see if it is swing mechanics and/or your understanding of where to brush the ball for a twist or topspin.

If you want a good kick serve you might have to reverse things in your practice. I dont know if you're double faulting in the net or long.

To develop the kick serve, I used to stand at the back fence and hit about a 100 long looping slow serves into the service box real high in the air. You have to have some swing speed when you do this (which you already have) because you are further back from the baseline. But what it is doing is getting the motion and the place you want to toss the ball in sync.

You still have to have your head/face looking at the ball as the racquet hits the ball. So that doesn't change. You still have to extend the arm at the elbow as well. If you try and force spin on the ball because you serve well, you are asking for trouble unless you have built up to it and you become proficient with the service motion and toss.

The key to a good kick is not necessarily how fast the serve can go, but how high you can get it into the air and have strong revolutions on the ball so it can come crashing back down into the court and bounce way up! The spin on the ball combined with the trajectory is what makes some balls bounce really high and fast towards the returner. So it is a combination.

You should try tossing more above your head so you can get under the ball and go up the back of the ball with your racquet.

Because my back isn't what it used to be, I can hit a twist serve and a topspin serve virtually from the same toss. The toss usually goes over my hitting shoulder and somewhat behind my head - not way behind as the younger folks can do.

For a topsin serve the toss will be more in line with my chest and behind my head. As you learn the serve, the toss adjustments people make are preference.

vin
08-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Well the racquet I last broke was a volkl tour 10 mid v-engine.

I would have gladly sent you an old racquet to break in exchange for your tour 10. :(

If you're looking for a racquet that will immediately improve your serve (spin and power), try the Pure Drive or the Surge, but who knows what it will do to the rest of your game.

If you're so frustrated that you are breaking expensive racquets, maybe you need to regain perspective and take a break from tennis.

thehustler
08-24-2004, 01:13 PM
What I do when I get upset is I just laugh things off. So I double faulted. So I got broken or dumped a volley into the net. So what? It's only one point out of a hundred or so. Big deal. I also like to check my strings between points, just to help me refocus and not worry about what just happened. I used to throw my racket all the time and it actually helped me. But once I finally broke a racket I decided to not throw them anymore. It's expensive to replace a racket and I just don't have the money to do so. On top of that laughing off a bad point is a good thing. It can frustrate your opponent because they don't know if you're mad or what's going on in your head. This gives you an advantage over them. Finally throwing a racket just makes anybody look like a baby and it's just embarassing to do such a thing. HTH.

devwizard
08-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Well, there a few things I would like to mention. First of all, wow. You say you're only a 4.0 player with a 113 MPH serve?!?!?! THATS INSANE!!!! I'm not disputing you I just think that's awesome. Second, though I cannot argue that I personally have fantastic kick, the key in my opinion is consistency. Even if you hit what you consider back kick, if you can just hit a consistent topspin or sidespin serve, then your double faults would drop. Consider the physics of comparing your serve to say Roddick's. The reason a ball turns from spin is because of the air moving faster along one side of the ball than the other. This is multiplied by the fact that his second serve is still like 115 MPH or better, which means that just the added pace on his second serve contributes to a SIGNIFICANT amount of greater turn in the air. And even though you may not consider yourself to have much kick, as long as you are as consistent with that "weaker" kick, you can still have a fantastic game and play at even the 5.0 or 5.5 level. Finally, when considering racquets that provide spin, the ULTIMATE spin racquet company is DEFINITELY YONEX. ALL of their racquets, mostly because they are sooo flexible and constructed in the fashion they are provide HUGE spin. And I've tried lots of racquets when I make that comparison. But just a note, when you buy a more spin oriented racquet, you will probably lose some of the pace off your first serve. And if you decide to not go with a Yonex, (not recommended by me) try to get a more open string pattern as suggested earlier, like maybe 16x18 or 16x19.