PDA

View Full Version : Chip by Stringer, any recourse?

coolblue123
01-13-2007, 05:56 AM
Hi Everyone:
I just got my racquet restrung, it's a RDS003. The racquet doesn't have any chips what so ever. However, when I got my racquet back from the tennis shop from a string job, I noticed a small chip on the 3 o'clock next by the gommets. I suspect this is done by the clamps on the stringing machine.

I was wondering in these situations, are there any recourse I have?

thanks for any response.

vinnier6
01-13-2007, 06:12 AM
i have noticed from time to time small chips by the bottom where my stringer ties off the last cross, and its in the same exact place on both racquets...i dont usually question him, and although i am pretty picky about my racquets, i just chalk it up to the price i pay for someone else stringing my racquets....

rasajadad
01-13-2007, 06:15 AM
I assume when you say you got the racquet restrung, that the frame has been strung a number of times? Has this shop been the previous stringer of record? I'd complain in an attempt to at least get the price of the job refunded. Further, if it's just cosmetic, get a color matching Sharpie, color in the chip, then fill it with clear nail polish.

dpfrazier
01-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Are you planning on using this stringer in the future? If so, then I would mention the chip to him and let him know that racquet cosmetics are important to you. He can probably be more careful about keeping the clamps away from the frame for future string jobs.

Being more heavy-handed (like asking for a refund) won't set you up well for that inevitable last-minute string job you need for a tournament...

PBODY99
01-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Please remember that when you release the tension on a frame their is a little bit of frame flex, this can lead to a crack in the paint.

TokyopunK
01-13-2007, 09:14 AM
OMG a chip we are all gonna die. It's not that big of a deal.

dpfrazier
01-13-2007, 09:34 AM
OMG a chip we are all gonna die. It's not that big of a deal.

That was also my initial reaction, but to each his own...

SFrazeur
01-13-2007, 09:37 AM
I would agree with the comments made by dpfrazier.

Let him know if you want, but there's no reason to burn any bridges.

coolblue123
01-13-2007, 07:42 PM
thanks for the response everyone.

It's a relatively new shop, and I do like the owner. It's just cosmetics but it's still alittle discouraging, kinda like, bringing your car in for repair and finding the repair shop denting your car.

But all in all, I don't think I could say anything since I've found the chip after I left the shop.

Thanks again

eunjam
01-13-2007, 11:07 PM
thanks for the response everyone.

It's a relatively new shop, and I do like the owner. It's just cosmetics but it's still alittle discouraging, kinda like, bringing your car in for repair and finding the repair shop denting your car.

But all in all, I don't think I could say anything since I've found the chip after I left the shop.

Thanks again

ummm.....that's not an even comparison.

getting you a new RDX whatever it is.....say what? like $200 max?

getting a dent pulled, primered, and repainted on a somewhat decent car.......say what? like $400? on a nice benz....it's about a $1000 at the mercedes dealer.

Kevo
01-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Chips around the grommets are common. They can happen from the grommet flexing while tension is being pulled. It could be completely innocent. If it is just a small chip starting at the drilled grommet hole, I wouldn't even mention it. It was probably not from a clamp, especially if the grommet isn't damaged. It wouldn't be all that common for a clamp to contact the frame right next to the grommet.

Steve Huff
01-18-2007, 10:06 PM
3 o'clock isn't a common area for a stringer to mark up a racket with clamps. Usually, when a machine marks up a frame, it's at 6 or 12 where the mounting post rubs up against the frame (when it's not mounted quite right, or the machine is out of adjustment, which I've seen on some Ektelons--my old one did it once too). There's really no way of knowing when or how it happened though. The person putting it in a racket to be strung could have done it. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, although it probably shouldn't have happened.