PDA

View Full Version : 1 hand or two hand?

xtremerunnerars
01-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I hit with a one hander on both sides, but some people don't. What do you hit with?

(check the options that apply to you)

dowjones
01-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Tried a 2hbh but I couldn't get consistency with it. Been hitting a 1hbh for too long I guess.

jamumafa
01-13-2007, 09:14 AM
one handed of both sides.

If I'm on the run and need to pass someone at the net I use my left hand on the BH to get a tiny bit more angle. Plus it helps to get a bit more stability espcially on a full run.

brayman9
01-13-2007, 09:59 AM
i started hitting a one hander about a year ago and it is working really well for my 5"1 size. And i have a huge onehander forehand!

Amone
01-13-2007, 10:01 AM
I voted for all of them. I'm having serious difficulty choosing, to be honest. My groundstrokes are never a whole lot to look at, and my one-handed strokes, as well as my two-handed ones, are both about equal.

Freedom
01-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Played with a two-handed backhand for about 6 years, decided to switch to one-hand about 6 monthes ago, and I haven't looked back. One-hand forehand, btw.

Kabob190
01-13-2007, 10:02 PM
1 handed forehand
2 handed back hand (topspin) i wish i had a one hander though
1 handed slice back hand
and of course one handed on both sides for the volley
and one handed serve just in case you were wondering

looseswing
01-14-2007, 04:07 AM
Two handed backhand, one hand for the forehand side.

xtremerunnerars
01-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Kinda confirms what I thought. 1 handers are more popular among juniors here...but i just wanted to see.

1 handers ftw!

irishcommodore15
01-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I have a two handed backhand but I'm trying to change it to a one handed backhand.

Infl8edEg0
01-14-2007, 09:14 PM
For some reason, I can't get used to a 1-hand bh...I use a 2-hand bh, but one hand for slices and drops

Techniques
01-15-2007, 03:25 AM
In Australia for juniors we usually see 2 handed backhands all the way... I guess it is becuase most of us started young and wasn't strong enoguh to hit a 1 handed backhand... 1 handed backhand is weird.

NbladeTopspin
01-15-2007, 05:33 AM
1 handed forehanded
2 handed backhand, but my coach tried switching me, but it didnt work out
1 handed forehand volley
2 handed backhand volley or 1 hand(depends on the shot)
1 handed serve(obviously)

Freedom
01-15-2007, 08:47 PM
For all of you struggling with the switch from 2HBH to 1H, consider what I did: one night after a very frustrating day of matches (could hardly move on account of all the bagels I ate) I just decided that I had enough of being undecisive- I had always felt the one-hander felt more natural, but I had been trained to use two hands. So I just decided from that moment to go with the one-hander, and with a few pointers from other players, I feel completely comfortable with one hand. The two-hander feels awkward now.

Kabob190
01-15-2007, 09:28 PM
For all of you struggling with the switch from 2HBH to 1H, consider what I did: one night after a very frustrating day of matches (could hardly move on account of all the bagels I ate) I just decided that I had enough of being undecisive- I had always felt the one-hander felt more natural, but I had been trained to use two hands. So I just decided from that moment to go with the one-hander, and with a few pointers from other players, I feel completely comfortable with one hand. The two-hander feels awkward now.

how long does it take to get your 1 hander good enough or better than the 2 hander you've used the whole time?

Duzza
01-15-2007, 10:34 PM
I've been 2 hander all my life but adding in a one hander too.

Freedom
01-20-2007, 11:15 PM
how long does it take to get your 1 hander good enough or better than the 2 hander you've used the whole time?

I really doubt that my one-hander is better than my two-handed was at its best. But I know the one-hander feels totally natural now, and I'm just going to practice, practice, practice! I feel like I can hit with more power, I'm really just trying to work on direction and serve returns.

Paul1993
01-20-2007, 11:19 PM
One hander for everything.

DueSouth
01-22-2007, 11:31 AM
I'd like to think that my 2HBH is pretty good

Ten_is
01-22-2007, 11:38 AM
I chose 2 handed forehand cause I've never heard of it and it's funny.

Two handed backhand topspin, flat, slice
One handed backhand slice
One handed forehand topspin, flat, slice.

One handed serve continental. - lol

300Gkid
01-22-2007, 01:02 PM
2 hand backhand
1 handed forehand

i've tried a ton of times to switch to a one-handed backhand but its never worked out, i dono it just doesn't feel natural to me. I can only hit slices and "emergency shots" with it

brayman9
01-22-2007, 01:45 PM
hey zach i am 7 seed this weekend at nashua are you playing

Thomas15
01-22-2007, 02:24 PM
i hit with a one handed forehand and i usually hit with a one handed backhand but when i feel i need a bit more bite on the ball i switch to two handed on my backhand side

Voltron
01-22-2007, 02:32 PM
1HFH 2HBH, and 1HBH as well.

300Gkid
01-22-2007, 03:08 PM
hey brayden, yea im playing, not seeded though. Can you believe the draw? I think this is probably the first time in history there gonna have to use a best of 64 draw for a level 7 tournament. :-(

dave333
01-22-2007, 03:39 PM
2bh, 1 f. I'm more of the baseline basher (though I still like s and v, its quite fun). I get consistent depth, spin, power. My 1bh that I used when experimenting has more depth, spin, power, and its better for running, but I could not drive anything shoulder height, so I went to the 2hb.

2hb has much better return of serves too!

TheSnowMan
01-23-2007, 04:30 PM
1HFH 2HBH, and 1HBH as well.

Yo... do you face muscle memory? I tried this and it messed me up.

Voltron
01-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Yo... do you face muscle memory? I tried this and it messed me up.

Nope, my natural is 1HBH but I hit 2HBH trained. Both are very easy for me.

Sagittar
01-23-2007, 04:34 PM
i always hit 1h but recently have been trying the 2h for more stability ..

eunjam
01-23-2007, 04:40 PM
learn and stay with the 1 hander.

there's a reason why sampras and federer went from 2h to 1h.

in fact...name any player .......even a top 20 player EVER....that went from 1h to 2h.

Voltron
01-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Dunno, I use both in match play. I like my two hander, I rip passing shots with it, but my untrained one hander can rip crosscourt winners with ease, I'm torn. Oh, and my coach makes me run if I hit my 1HBH while he's watching.

pNoyr3D
01-23-2007, 05:35 PM
I currently use 1 handed on both. I switched to the one handed backhand from the 2 handed about 4 months ago and it was worth it. I love it and am able to get more consistency and control with it, also the angles I can get with it is just amazing.

2handman
01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Hey yo 2 hands both sides.Very unorthadoc.Playing 2 hands since I was 13 now 28.I would'nt teach it.Unbelievable ground strokes King of the 2 hands Wilson 4 life

TheSnowMan
01-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Dunno, I use both in match play. I like my two hander, I rip passing shots with it, but my untrained one hander can rip crosscourt winners with ease, I'm torn. Oh, and my coach makes me run if I hit my 1HBH while he's watching.

Lol. If anyone did that to me I'd kick their ***** (not literally) and quit take lessons from them. I really hate it when people FORCE you to use a 2 handed backhand.

TheSnowMan
01-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Hey yo 2 hands both sides.Very unorthadoc.Playing 2 hands since I was 13 now 28.I would'nt teach it.Unbelievable ground strokes King of the 2 hands Wilson 4 life

How in the world would you volley.. or do you get (what's the word) at the net? I have never seen anyone with 2 hands on both sides. Do you have to switch positions of your hand on your handle to accommodate each side or do you just leave it there?

Justin
01-23-2007, 07:12 PM
When I started playing, I always had a 2 hand BH, but now I'm starting to switch to a 1 hand BH because my 2-hand BH is too inconsistent.

Fishbulb
01-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Wow. I'm suprised how many one handers there are on this forum.
I have a double handed backhand and i don't see how people are able to hit power on a 1 hander. This is my comparison of backhands IMO.

2 Hander Advantages

More power
Easier to get in position
More control
1 Hander Advantages

Looks cooler
Great if you are roger federer or robredo

allez
01-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Absolutely One handed on both sides if you can. The 1hbh requires strength and athletic ability. If you don't have either to do good at it, then go with the 2hander. If you can, you will be much craftier and you cover a much larger area in the court. The 1hbh vs. 2hbh is like a Cadillac vs. a Chevy. If you can afford it, why go cheap on yourself.

BTW, if you can do the 1hbh right, it's much more powerful than the 2hbh. People can't do the 1hbh good always thought otherwise.

The Gorilla
01-27-2007, 06:21 PM
How in the world would you volley.. or do you get (what's the word) at the net? I have never seen anyone with 2 hands on both sides. Do you have to switch positions of your hand on your handle to accommodate each side or do you just leave it there?

fabrice santoro?

The Gorilla
01-27-2007, 06:22 PM

why don't you just use both when appropriate?

bleno567
01-27-2007, 06:32 PM
BTW, if you can do the 1hbh right, it's much more powerful than the 2hbh. People can't do the 1hbh good always thought otherwise.

Theres no way thats true. The One hander has its advantages over the two hander, but power is not one of them. A clean efficient 2 hander is always going to be more powerful, than a clean efficient 1 hander, simply because 2 arms can supply more force than one.

Mountain Ghost
02-01-2007, 03:23 PM
A one-handed backhand requires better positioning, balance and finesse, so there is sometimes a perception of more immediate effectiveness by going with two. In my opinion a good one-handed backhand will always look smoother and cooler, but a lot of players arenít willing to work that hard or wait that long.

MG

Forehand Forever
02-01-2007, 03:37 PM
I have a two hander, but I can hit the one hander sometimes pretty well. My two handers coming along now because I've been working on it almost every day. My forehands pretty good but I need to work on both of these a lot.

tennisboi
02-03-2007, 02:27 PM
one handed on both sides

ibringtheHEAT
02-05-2007, 03:46 PM
i hit one handed forehand, two-handed backhands when behind the boxes and one handed when inside the boxes/at the net. its been working alright so far.

dunlopfan
02-06-2007, 01:05 PM
One handed FLAT forhand
Two-handed FLAT & TOPSPIN backhand

topspin kid
02-09-2007, 02:56 PM
i return serve with a 2 handed backhand
1 handed backhand with rallies.
1 hand forehand.
and serve obviously 1 handed.
i return with 2handed because i dont got the whole aggressive 1 hand return down good yet but its getting there.

FEDEX1
02-12-2007, 05:47 PM
i hit one handed forehand, two-handed backhands when behind the boxes and one handed when inside the boxes/at the net. its been working alright so far.

I do the exact same thing. Using one-handed back hand when volleying feels a lot better to me. I get more control and spin is easier

thejackal
02-12-2007, 07:29 PM
anyone here NOT hit volleys or bh slices with 1 hand? i played a guy who hits extreme crosscourts drop volleys with 2 hands and normal ones with one. i think he's one of the top ranked juniors in Vermont.

stormholloway
02-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Theres no way thats true. The One hander has its advantages over the two hander, but power is not one of them. A clean efficient 2 hander is always going to be more powerful, than a clean efficient 1 hander, simply because 2 arms can supply more force than one.

It's not that simple.

Because the one hander doesn't have the second hand involved, it can freely generate momentum through the racquet head. Do you think you can swing a racquet more quickly over your head with one or two hands? The second hand restricts the path of the racquet, allowing the one hand to swing through a longer path, thereby generating more momentum in the racquet head.

I'd say neither one has a power advantage. It depends on technique.

The one hander is at a disadvantage when it comes to returns or short backswings. It takes the one hander a longer swing to generate speed. Time is the factor there. The better returners are two handers, generally (though we know who the exception is), and I think this demonstrates the two hander's ability to generate force quickly.

4brotherdrive
02-13-2007, 05:20 PM
I am one handed on everything, my one-handed backhand is strong but has a limited strike zone, then again I have only used it for 2 months. The two-handed forehand isnt that awkward................ until you see the backswing, swing path, and follow through.:P In Miami, everyone has a one handed forehand that they go for too much on, and a two handed backhand thats consistant, but weak.

Fat_Cup_Of_Tea
02-13-2007, 08:23 PM
I used to have a two handed forehand and backhand (I switched about 6 months ago). Now I have a one handed forehand and two handed backhand. At first my one hand forehand was out of control and extremely inconsistent, but I'l getting a lot better with it (thank gawd).

soyizgood
02-20-2007, 02:20 PM
2HBH
1HFH
1HBH for slices and occasional groundstroke

My 2HBH (semi-western influenced) is my best stroke. 1HBH is improving. 1HFH is evolving from Eastern to semi-Western.:p

tennishead93
02-20-2007, 03:42 PM
is junior ore's one hander good cuz hes like the best junior w/ a one hander ive ever seen

Movement
02-24-2007, 07:39 PM
I made a switch to a 1 handed bakchand after like half a year of playing. It was a big change and probably slowed down my progress but now that my backhand is more solid, I don't regret my choice. It was everything I wanted, more freedom and a lot more natural feeling.

But I wouldn't say that either backhand is superior. Even if one feels more natural I wouldn't go for the backhand that feels more natural. It might not be the best thing if you have certain goals and expectations. If you are aiming to improve as fast as you can, you might want to go with the one with the least technical problems. But when you first start out, a 1 hander is more difficult in many ways for most people. Harder to control (especially if you're not physically mature yet), high balls are difficult, returning fast balls may be difficult (but switching grips for return of serve was a lot easier for me with a 1 hander).

allez
02-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Don't be so sure if you don't know how to hit a 1hbh.

Think of this way. If we swing a baseball bat, I will agree with you: two hands produce more power because the bat is too heavy for one hand. If we swing a badminton racquet, you won't say two hand is more powerful, wouldn't you. In the later case one hand can produce a much faster head speed while the weight remains the same. This is no difference from swinging a tennis racquet, assuming you know how to choose the right racquet for a 1hbh.

tennishead93
02-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Don't be so sure if you don't know how to hit a 1hbh.

Think of this way. If we swing a baseball bat, I will agree with you: two hands produce more power because the bat is too heavy for one hand. If we swing a badminton racquet, you won't say two hand is more powerful, wouldn't you. In the later case one hand can produce a much faster head speed while the weight remains the same. This is no difference from swinging a tennis racquet, assuming you know how to choose the right racquet for a 1hbh.

I think theyre equal because you have the fast head speed w/ the one hander but w/ a good two hander you have the force of two hands and your body goes into the shot.

Ronny
02-24-2007, 08:28 PM
i have no idea how people even hit 2 hander forehands. they won't get any power

killer
02-25-2007, 02:25 PM
The two-handed bh is a serious limitation. end transmission

mJeez4293
02-25-2007, 03:26 PM
u one handed backhand clowns...

liehssahmster
02-25-2007, 04:19 PM
I started with a 2hbh, but changed to a 1-hander when I was 10. Seems to me like they're about even. Definitely more 12-21 year olds hitting 1hbh today than 12 yrs ago when I switched.

supertennis
03-22-2007, 08:50 PM
One hander for everything. like federer !!!!

kingdaddy41788
03-22-2007, 08:52 PM
One hander on both sides... I feel like I've got more control with a 1hbh than 2hbh...

TheAeropro
03-23-2007, 02:20 AM
I played with a two handed backhand. Then I broke my left wrist so I picked up the one handed backhand and got decent at it, but once my wrist healed I seemed to lose my 1hbh, so I picked up the 2hbh again and that's where I'm at. The 1hbh got more topspin and I seemed to be able to hit it harder easier. But I like the 2hbh, it's more consistent.

Fossika
03-23-2007, 02:22 AM
2 handed BH, consistent, nice spin and power. Most people (apart from pros) that I see doing one handers can hit them big when they do, but they have a lot more trouble pulling it off.

soyizgood
03-23-2007, 06:47 AM
GO 2HBH!

I can hit a 1HBH in, but not sure if I want to try that in a match. I've been making progress on that dreaded BH slice. But my 2HBH is my most versatile stroke. My forehand is fairly good too considering I switched from Eastern to semi-Western.

ibringtheHEAT
03-23-2007, 12:20 PM
1 hand forehand

and a mix of backhands....2h for hittin one straight down the line, or a power shot, 1h for a slice or drop shot

bluestreak711
03-23-2007, 09:11 PM
one handed forehand with top spin,backspin,backspin lob
and one handed back hand for all my backspin shots same as forehand and a two hand back hand for top spin its just more automatic that way if i put my second hand on the racket i know im going for topsin if not its gonna be back spin

TheAeropro
03-24-2007, 06:37 AM
okay, well then one handed for slice backhands, a 2h release on bh volleys, and I don't really do dropshots so... i guess 1hbh

fgzhu88
03-25-2007, 01:51 PM
1h forehand
2h backhand
I'd like to see someone do a 2h slice or 2h serve!!!

LarougeNY
03-25-2007, 02:07 PM
1h forehand
2h backhand
I'd like to see someone do a 2h slice or 2h serve!!!

a 2h slice isnt that hard to do, especially of the forehand side. Of the backhand, it hurts my wrist but its still do-able.

ibringtheHEAT
03-25-2007, 04:51 PM
a 2h slice isnt that hard to do, especially of the forehand side. Of the backhand, it hurts my wrist but its still do-able.

for once I think I agree with you. ;)

slice bh compliment
03-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Wow. I am amazed. More 1 handed BHs than 2 handers. Among junior players? Nice stat.

TennisNinja
03-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I use a 2 handed backhand for my ground strokes, but for slice and volleys, I use a 1 handed backhand.

LarougeNY
03-25-2007, 06:06 PM
for once I think I agree with you. ;)

I wasn't aware that we even disagreed before, but okay :)

libiss
03-30-2007, 02:13 AM
I also use 1H for-and-back, I never use a 2H forhand. But when I use a 2H back....I usually lob it (BAD). So I make sure I use a Western back hand grip to I'll topspin on the back one with one hand.

Yonexer
03-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Two hands on both sides,

The Grand Slam
03-30-2007, 09:33 AM
One-handed; both sides. I'm in a bit of a pickle with my backhand though. It's a bit shaky. I tried a few two-handed backhands at practice but I stink at those. So I'm just trying to beef up my backhand, hit with a bit more confidence. I find myself hitting about twice as many slice backhands as regular ones in a match...

tennisguy0014
03-30-2007, 10:40 AM
junior ore? he does have a good 1 hander but thats on the boys side. I saw him at a tourni. What about for the girls junior side? like ive heard of chanel van something and the other day my tennis friends where talking about her and that she has a 1 handed backhand and she just switched and its really good.Theres another girl too that has a really good 1 hander but i dont know her name. if any of u know chanel is she good? because I might ask her to be my mixed doubs partner for eddie herr or something...

oh i train at newks btw
thanks alot!

kaygar09
03-31-2007, 09:58 PM
1 handed forehand
2 handed backhand

(hopefully gonna try switching the BH this summer, but might still use if i can learn a one handed BH slice)

p0w3r
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
1 Handed Forhand
2 Handed Backhand

Its weird...i could never hit a 1 handed backhand. Then in the past 4 months i have been hitting a 1 handed backhand slice and just the other day, i discovered i can hit a 1 handed backhand and produce serious angles with it. It was strange since my 2 handed backhand has been bothering me for the past week and then yesterday i tried a 1 hand...just to try it. Its still not that consistant though, and doesnt have that much pace, but then i tried my 2 handed again and it miracously came back again with more pace then before.

...what a strange hitting session yesterday:confused:

Movement
04-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Sometimes your game gets derailed for a minute, sometimes a long while. Strange event but if it's better than before that's great! :)

I was never especially good with a 2 handed backhand. (strange because it's usually easier to pick up out of the two) It felt constrained to me and switching grips on return of serve felt uncomfortable. I switched to a 1 hander and it felt great but I did backtrack because I was using a 2 hander for a couple of monthes. I think I might have ended up playing better overall if I stayed with a 2 hander because I did spend a lot of time on fixing my 1 hander. That time could have been spent on fixing other parts of my game. But if I could do it all over again, I'd do the same thing.

Zets147
04-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Lol this board is about even on the BH's.

My salutations to the 2H-FH's :D In my experience, I have only seen 2 girls use 2HFH and they were on the same tennis team. They play for Rice University I believe.

swuster
04-04-2007, 08:54 PM
2H backhand; the only time I'll hit a 1H backhand is on slices/drop shots or if I'm on the run and I need the extra reach. Using two hands makes me a lot more consistent and gives me much, much better control.

Tennis4203
04-05-2007, 01:07 AM
I play one hand for all strokes.

I don't know how people play with 2 handed forehands, how do you put power into the shot?

1 hand backhanders unite!

iplaybetter
04-05-2007, 04:08 AM
i could never hit a 2hb it never felt fluid enough

nViATi
04-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Two hand backhand forever! I'd go for a one hander but I am not steady enough with it. I just can't hit hard, deep, and steady enough with a one hander so I decided to switch to a two hander. If you can hit a great one hander then go kick some butt :D but if you can't, then just switch to a two hander. Tennis is about results :)

Wingshellphelp
04-05-2007, 05:40 PM
the basic;two handed backhand, one handed forehand

mardy_fish
04-05-2007, 07:07 PM
i use a one handed forehand and two handed backhand. i use a two hander because when i first started it gave me more stability and i just never changed.

squints
04-05-2007, 10:12 PM
w/e you do stick with it. trying to do everything will most likely hinder your game. cause then you will second guess yourself, whether or not to use 1 or 2.

Roger_Federer.
04-08-2007, 05:20 PM
I find it easier to hit one handed with both groundies

thatguy
04-08-2007, 06:15 PM
This poll is interesting. I'm kinda wondering if most people here put what they actually use, or what they prefer or wish they used. I can say from my teaching experience that 95% of juniors use a 2hbh. Funny how over 50% claim to use a 2hbh here. Either TW just has a tendency to attract 1hbh users or not everyone is being honest. I tend to think the latter. Also, hitting an occasional 1hbh slice when your dominant backhand shot is your topspin 2hbh does not qualify you as being a 1hbh user.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-08-2007, 06:17 PM
When I first started playing I used to hit one hands on both sides, but when I was about 10 years old, I changed coaches and added the two handed backhand. I liked hitting the one handed backhand, but couldn’t make it much of a weapon. :mad: But with the two handed backhand I got more power and its my strongest shot.

On the other hand, it helps me with me slice and when need a little more reach. But the 1 handed forehand and 2 handed backhand is what I use.

rhcolt07
04-09-2007, 05:12 PM
1-Handed Forehand
2-Handed Backhand

Would like to start trying a 1-handed backhand, but I'm better consistently and in control with a 2-hander.

DraGoNoFfiR3
04-09-2007, 06:42 PM
i've always wanted to get a 1hbh (after watching gasquet), but i'm just not as good with it. i use a 1h slice backhand though :].

NebAce1
04-12-2007, 06:34 PM
One handed forehand
Two handed backhand

pow
04-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Play with what you're comfortable with. I hate seeing people struggling because they are trying to adapt to a one hand / two hand that does not come natural to them.

slice bh compliment
04-13-2007, 05:38 AM
Play with what you're comfortable with. I hate seeing people struggling because they are trying to adapt to a one hand / two hand that does not come natural to them.

Fundamentally, I think a 1 handed BH is the way to go, but I do agree with the POW.

Some players were never taught solid 1 handed technique...and when they want to switch to a 1 hander (either for the hipness or the functionality/flexibility), they look unnatural...;) ...like an NFL player trying to drive a Mini Cooper ... like Tom Selleck kissing a beautiful girl on Magnum PI ... like an obsessive compulsive college boy doing his best to fit in at a frat house ... like a stage mother trying not to fidget or coach her kid in his first tennis match. Just uncomfortable, man.

mrmo1115
05-05-2007, 10:25 AM
one for the forehand two for backhand

EasternRocks
05-05-2007, 03:14 PM
im one hand forehand and one hand backhand...all the WAY

sbntp
05-05-2007, 07:59 PM
I choose a 2-hander on the backhand and a 1-hander for the forehand.

DominiX
05-05-2007, 08:43 PM
1 handed forehand

sometimes 1 sometimes 2 handed backhand

Ronny
05-06-2007, 02:06 AM
1 handed forehand n double handed backhand