PDA

View Full Version : College Story

seeker06
01-13-2007, 07:28 PM
I am attending a Community College right now and have thought about joining the tennis team but work just to have some extra spending money and gas money. I saw people playing on the tennis courts and they where decent so i came in and asked what tthis was. Apparently I asked the coach and he said it was tennis team practice. I asked if I could play with them. He asked If i played before i said in H.S.

Im 19 by the way. He was excited and said he wanted to see me hit I borrowed some kids racquet. I My next class was in 30min so i played a lil bit. After he said he wanted me on the team! I told people and they said do it cause if you good enough you could become a pro. I have confidence in myself but I wanted to know your opinions.

goober
01-13-2007, 07:31 PM
join the team and have fun.

About the pro part.... uh I think I wouldn't worry about that.

patrick922
01-13-2007, 08:04 PM
what is your rating seeker?

Tennis_Gnat
01-13-2007, 09:04 PM
1) Join the team, you'll enjoy it!

2) About going pro....unless you either a) already have a great national ranking or b) have been playing a long time, just haven't played tournaments, but are talented. Don't get your hopes up.

3) College related: What division is it and how intensive is their program? How much time do you want to spend playing tennis? It's a year-round sport and has two seasons, one in the fall, one in the spring. Is it club or varsity that you're joining?

jamn73
01-14-2007, 03:25 AM
skip college and go pro

jamn73
01-14-2007, 03:26 AM
it's not that hard to go pro, i did it last week.

Gemini
01-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Playing on the college tennis team has nothing or a most very, very little to do with your chances of being a professional tennis player. Pro tennis is not a sport where you are recruited/drafted to a team like football, basketball, baseball, hockey, etc.

If you're looking to improve your game and get some free competition, then join the college team. If you're looking to go pro, you'll need to devote a lot more time to practicing and tournament play. You'll need to chase the computer points in Futures/Satellites and Challengers. Those are the proving grounds. It's also the place you can attract agents/sponsors to help pave your way into the pro ranks.

LoveThisGame
01-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Practice and matches, particularly at the community college and some Division III level colleges, provide a great break from the classroom and study "grind". (When you enter the full time work world, these refreshing breaks are just as beneficial!)

Have some fun and do it. And DON'T accept stress from things like coach's hopes and your dream of beating the world

Tennis_Gnat
01-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Practice and matches, particularly at the community college and some Division III level colleges, provide a great break from the classroom and study "grind". (When you enter the full time work world, these refreshing breaks are just as beneficial!)

Have some fun and do it. And DON'T accept stress from things like coach's hopes and your dream of beating the world

Well, even at an intensive DIII tennis college, it'll provide a break from your studies, but it just depends how well you can manage your time if it'll overwhelm you or not with your academics and your tennis. Remember, academics come first. My tennis provides a great break for me from my studies.

Topaz
01-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Ummm, is it possible he meant 'teaching pro' not 'tennis pro'?

Sakkijarvi
01-15-2007, 08:23 AM
<Ummm, is it possible he meant 'teaching pro' not 'tennis pro'?>

I coach kids (not tennis) and simply try and reinforce the need to give themselves permission to do what is and was fun, what they liked about the sport in the first place. In tennis, it's hitting. Just hitting.

Sakki

Tennis_Gnat
01-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Considering the context, he heard that from other people, I would guess that they meant pro as in ATP/WTA player. Most people outside the tennis world don't call tennis pros (instructors), pros.

WFrame9109
01-15-2007, 09:05 AM
I wasn't able to handle it back then, but this was due mostly to my ineptitude at managing time (fixed).

If academics are important, let the coach know, give it a go, and if it doesn't work out, let your coach know... That would be my plan.

LoveThisGame
01-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Tennis_Gnat,

Agreed. Success in college, and life for that matter, centers on ability to prioritize and time management!

When I went to college, long ago and a large school (but tennis was not as intensive in those days), I started towards the tennis team but decided to stop because of academic priorities. Also it took time to hitchhike 2-3 miles to get to the courts, and those courts were on a high, windy hill plus my university was in the northeast ;) .

OTOH, in the 1990's I did coach men's tennis at a DIII college in a strong conference, and I did try to be reasonable in time demands.

seeker06
01-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah I meant a pro on tour. lol I kinda gave up on that now because of waht happened 2day at practice. I dont know my rating either.

Well today we where just hitting around and since my racquet is getting restrung i grabbed my first tennis racquet i ever got. Head Ti. Radical OS I really didnt wanna play with it but I didnt wanna borow a racquet like last time. I did alright practicing with it but when it came to playing a game that was a different story. The kid i played with used a western grip and the ball kept kicking to my forehand hard. I scored most points from my backhand. the sweetest point had to be when he served it to my backhand side and i hit it down the line on the opposite side he served. Just awesome!:D
The racquet I normally play with is a modified Prince O3 Tour MP. Using the radical mess me up? Anyway thanks for the replies.

N23
02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Join the JuCo team. I had a blast in mine.

goober
02-08-2007, 09:09 PM
BTW do you have to be a full time student to be on a juco team? Could you join a team if you were taking like 1 class?

gokou703
02-09-2007, 12:12 AM
BTW do you have to be a full time student to be on a juco team? Could you join a team if you were taking like 1 class?

You have to be enrolled in 12 semester units in California junior college teams. Do what I did. I took 12 units online during my second year of play. The classes I took were easy and I was able to still take another 13 units concurrently at the 4 year college I was attending.