PDA

View Full Version : GammaTech Warranty question

barry
01-14-2007, 01:45 AM
If I purchase a 1 year old Gamma tennis stringer, does the Gamma warranty apply to the second owner? Or is the warranty only for the original purchaser?

Paragraph below is from the online owner’s manual

“GAMMA Sports (GAMMA) warrants to the original purchaser that the X-STRINGER stringing machine (“EQUIPMENT”) purchased is free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of five (5) years from the date of original purchase for mechanical parts (excluding electrical parts and string clamps), and for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase for all electrical parts and string clamps. Should any defects develop under normal use within the specified time periods, GAMMA will at its option, repair or replace the defective EQUIPMENT provided it is returned to GAMMA prepaid at the purchaser’s expense.”

varuscelli
01-14-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm sort of interested in that question, myself. ;)

I bought a Gamma 6004 from a person who had used it to string just one racquet. It was set up, tested, re-boxed and sold to me. Upon arrival to me, I would never have been able to tell it was other than brand new.

While I don't ever anticipate using it heavily enough that warranty work would be likely to be necessary unless there were some inherent defect (however unlikely), I'm still curious to know what the policy would be. I do know how it's stated in the warranty, though, which apparently covers only the original purchaser.

My gut feel is that Gamma might take that kind of thing on more or less a case-by-case basis. They might not say that in so many words, though. In fact, policy would likely put them in the position of merely having to quote the stated warranty back to the questioner.

But for the most part, that's understandable from the manufacturer's standpoint. Can't say as a global rule it's all that great for ALL subsequent owners...but from a realistic point of view, I understand why the warranty is stated that way -- or at least I think I do... ;)

dancraig
01-14-2007, 05:40 PM
I believe Stringway-Laserfibre has a warranty that is good for the original purchaser and whoever that buyer sells it to. I think you can send them a serial number and they will tell a prospective buyer if the used machine will be covered by the warranty.

barry
01-15-2007, 04:15 AM
I'm sort of interested in that question, myself. ;)

I bought a Gamma 6004 from a person who had used it to string just one racquet. It was set up, tested, re-boxed and sold to me. Upon arrival to me, I would never have been able to tell it was other than brand new.

While I don't ever anticipate using it heavily enough that warranty work would be likely to be necessary unless there were some inherent defect (however unlikely), I'm still curious to know what the policy would be. I do know how it's stated in the warranty, though, which apparently covers only the original purchaser.

My gut feel is that Gamma might take that kind of thing on more or less a case-by-case basis. They might not say that in so many words, though. In fact, policy would likely put them in the position of merely having to quote the stated warranty back to the questioner.

But for the most part, that's understandable from the manufacturer's standpoint. Can't say as a global rule it's all that great for ALL subsequent owners...but from a realistic point of view, I understand why the warranty is stated that way -- or at least I think I do... ;)

In your case, you had hands on experience with the machine. In my case it will be a sight unseen, and just curious about the warranty, 6004 clamps are very expensive.

varuscelli
01-15-2007, 05:06 AM
In your case, you had hands on experience with the machine.

Um, no...for my part, there was no hands-on experience with the machine I bought (if you mean 'hands-on' as having touched/seen the machine before buying). I took the seller at his word, he shipped it to me, and from all appearances everything was exactly as he described it.

barry
01-15-2007, 05:35 AM
Um, no...for my part, there was no hands-on experience with the machine I bought (if you mean 'hands-on' as having touched/seen the machine before buying). I took the seller at his word, he shipped it to me, and from all appearances everything was exactly as he described it.

Sounds like you did not have any issues with your machine. Ideally it would be nice to find a machine locally, and check it out, but sometimes difficult. Once you get above the $1000 mark on stringers, the owners are usually serious about stringing. It makes me wonder why they are selling the machine.

I did check the SP site, and the warranty only applies to the original owner, which could be a standard in the industry. LF warrants the machine, but not the owner, which is great for the consumer. Mutual Power and Eagnas do not say original owners, and not sure Alpha’s position. I am interest in a Gamma product specifically the 6004. Also parts are 90 days which are pretty standard.

I am trying to figure out what to offer the seller, assuming risk on my part. $400 for a set of clamps could eat into the benefit of purchasing a used machine.

varuscelli
01-15-2007, 06:16 AM
Sounds like you did not have any issues with your machine. Ideally it would be nice to find a machine locally, and check it out, but sometimes difficult. Once you get above the $1000 mark on stringers, the owners are usually serious about stringing. It makes me wonder why they are selling the machine.

I did check the SP site, and the warranty only applies to the original owner, which could be a standard in the industry. LF warrants the machine, but not the owner, which is great for the consumer. Mutual Power and Eagnas do not say original owners, and not sure Alpha’s position. I am interest in a Gamma product specifically the 6004. Also parts are 90 days which are pretty standard.

I am trying to figure out what to offer the seller, assuming risk on my part. $400 for a set of clamps could eat into the benefit of purchasing a used machine.

Yeah, I understand your point. With the machine I got, it was a situation of buying from someone who was not a person I knew, not someone I could visit with, and not a forum member with more or less known reputation. (Indeed, the seller was located over 1000 miles away from me.) But from the description of the machine and after speaking with the owner at length over the phone (and exchanging a few e-mails), I was confident enough to make the purchase, and indeed it all turned out to be as described.

But I certainly admit that used machines come in all kinds of conditions. When I went through the exercise of doing research before buying (even with my original intent of buying new), I did things like watch the auction sites and other places where photos of used machines "for sale" were posted. I found that descriptions provided by sellers occasionally did not seem to match the photos at all. Sometimes you could tell from the photos that a machine was a rusted up clunker that, yeah, might be reasonably cleaned up and used, but in many cases did NOT seem to match the seller's worded description and might even be missing crucial parts (like clamps, for instance).

So I certainly don't blame you for wanting to cover all the bases and at least find out about the warranty.

Personally, I'm one of those believers that if an item has a warranty period (no matter what length that warranty period) it ought to be applicable to all owners, or in the very least to a second owner. But different manufacturers take different stands on that and I think especially so with machines that have not only home users but business users in the customer base. I think what potentially causes manufacturers grief is when machines are used commercially and then sold to an individual and the individual proceeds to make warranty claims against something that might have been a "wear and tear" victim.

In your case with a 1-year-old machine, how worn out could it be? ;) (And I know, despite my comment you're just trying to make sure all bases are covered for the "just in case" scenario.)

Gamma Tech
01-15-2007, 06:39 AM
If I purchase a 1 year old Gamma tennis stringer, does the Gamma warranty apply to the second owner? Or is the warranty only for the original purchaser?

Paragraph below is from the online owner’s manual
“GAMMA Sports (GAMMA) warrants to the original purchaser that the X-STRINGER stringing machine (“EQUIPMENT”) purchased is free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of five (5) years from the date of original purchase for mechanical parts (excluding electrical parts and string clamps), and for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase for all electrical parts and string clamps. Should any defects develop under normal use within the specified time periods, GAMMA will at its option, repair or replace the defective EQUIPMENT provided it is returned to GAMMA prepaid at the purchaser’s expense.”

this warranty is still accurate and correct and only applies to the original owner. this warranty is very similar for all of our machines.

bret

barry
01-15-2007, 07:07 AM
this warranty is still accurate and correct and only applies to the original owner. this warranty is very similar for all of our machines.

bret

Bret
Thanks for the clarification! New is a better way to go.

Varuscelli

When you string 40 or so rackets a month, I can easily shave off 5 minutes per racket using the new 6004 2-point mounting system. That buy back 3 hours or so, and you get the same quality job (real productivity gain). Currently my machine works perfect, but has a six point independent mounting (6 knobs to play with), and often you have to weave around the side supports, which takes additional time.

I think the 6004 was designed for stringer’s who crank out a lot of frames, and buying used, could save me a few bucks but may not be worth the aggravation . Bret must feel like the Maytag repair guy (old commerical), as the 6004 I strung on was rock solid. I personally like 3 tooth clamps better than the 5 tooth, but only because they are easier to use on dense pattern rackets.