PDA

View Full Version : Car Motor Oil question- Oil Change

ibemadskillzz
08-23-2004, 02:58 PM
I have a 1996 Honda Passport Truck and I need a oil change, but I don't know which oil to use. I have two Motor Oils. I have two kinds SAE 10W-40 and SAE 10W-30. Which one is better for my car and why?
thanks, your help is appreciated.

David Pavlich
08-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Read your owner's manual. If you don't have one, go to caranddriver.com and go to the message board and then to the Garage section. Lotsa' motorheads there, including me (I used to be a moderator in the Garage section). However, I don't know the oil requirement for your Honda.

David

ibemadskillzz
08-23-2004, 07:15 PM
thanks for your help. If anyone knows, let me know.

polakosaur
08-23-2004, 07:20 PM
well the difference between those two is the thickness you the 40 and 30 signify different thicknesses to be used in either cold or warm weather. So you want to change your oils according to the season. Now if your in a cold part of the country either fall or winter you would want to use 10W-30, it used to be believed to use 10W-40 in the summer because it was better but now it is being found untrue due to the polymer ratios and such. And since your car is 8 years old even though it is the summer i suggest using the 10W-30. It will be the best combinations or protections from wear and for performance

PHSTennis
08-25-2004, 10:36 PM
Check oil cap on the engine... should say on there some do some dont.