PDA

View Full Version : I REALLY need my forehand back...

raven5288
08-23-2004, 06:19 PM
I'm getting tired of losing to my pusher friend because of my forehand and sometimes my serve. I have my bad days and good days on serving, but lately my forehand has gotten out of control. It seems my footwork is pretty messed up, I'm not getting enough clearance on the net, when I do it goes long, when I do get it it it's not as offensive as I would like, and so on and so forth. I'm using a LM prestige MP with Ashaway monogut at 59 lbs. What's wierd is that I usually had no problem with my forehand with my old racket but my backhand wasn't the best. The problem is switched now and is really frustruating when I know that I can beat my friend really easily without having to resort to pushing like a little girl.

I really am a visual learner. I was watching a really good Federer backhand video and analysis a while back and have been copying his motion. My backhand has drastically improved. If anyone can do an analysis (with pics or vids), it would be greatly appreciated. Well, it can be anything that you guys can think of, cause I really want to exact my revenge on my friend.

mrfurious
08-23-2004, 06:50 PM
i don't know if this will help you or not, but to keep my forehand consistantly over the net and in the court, I swing forward and slightly up as hard as I can and the moment I make contact with the ball I quickly jerk up and over as I rotate my forearm. Almost feels like I am cutting over the top of the ball... this will keep the ball from going long. If you do that part, all you have to worry about is getting it over the net. Which shouldn't be a problem if you hit the ball hard enough forward with topspin.

I'm not a coach or anything, just my 2 cents.

Bungalo Bill
08-23-2004, 08:49 PM
i don't know if this will help you or not, but to keep my forehand consistantly over the net and in the court, I swing forward and slightly up as hard as I can and the moment I make contact with the ball I quickly jerk up and over as I rotate my forearm. Almost feels like I am cutting over the top of the ball... this will keep the ball from going long. If you do that part, all you have to worry about is getting it over the net. Which shouldn't be a problem if you hit the ball hard enough forward with topspin.

I'm not a coach or anything, just my 2 cents.

:(

Kobble
08-24-2004, 12:23 AM
Simply put, you need more topspin to build a larger margin for error. I had a shakey forehand, and I solved it by learning to hit with much more topspin. Once you are able to make the ball fly in the desired manner you need to put it to use in some matches. When you finally realize it is a safe and reliable shot, you will be just fine.

Chanchai
08-24-2004, 04:08 AM
Well... I can only give personal comments based on my recent experience (which were very much like yours). So the warning goes: I'm not certified to teach or anything.

But my dillema was that basically... I was having trouble generating pace on my forehand not too long ago. My backhand was fine, but my forehand was just... relying too much on returning balls with good pace. I had become accustomed to going more for topspin and less for drive.

To get to the point now and explain later: I basically put my body into the shot more. Driving creates pace.

In fact... in retrospect, I had used less of my body at some point and more of my shoulder and arm and maybe a bit of the obliques or chest muscles. And very recently (VERY RECENTLY) I've done something that's helped me with this problem. Hopefully it's similar to your situation....

Basically, part of it was fixing my footwork, but that wasn't the big problem with the forehand--just a fundamental one hehe (as if that wasn't big). THE MAIN THING I DID was that I would get into a neutral/forward stance whenever I had the time and I engaged my hips/body into the shot more. It was a simple thing, but at some point, I stopped doing this so much on my forehand.

So all I really did was get my body involved by initiating that hip turn properly and so my torso rotates and puts more body behind that ball. So since I started doing that again, I'm actually hitting heavier forehands, building pace, and still getting desirable topspin without abusing the wrist or shoulder or maybe even elbow.

Technically, I don't even have to move my feet so much or step through that ball (but it's nice to do so at times). I could stay in a neutral/forward stance and just hit with that rotation and the stroke without moving feet and I'd still hit a forehand I'm happy with. Better yet, it tweaked (positively) all of my other forehands from fade-aways, open stance, to running forehands.

So again, what I'm saying, is MAYBE you're in a similar situation I was in recently. Where I developed a forehand that was a lot of topspin but too reliant on the opponent's pace. And now I'm just creating my pace and control by getting my body into that shot, which I did by using those hips and torso. Sounds simple, but give it a try? If it's not your case, you're probably doing that already anyways?

-Chanchai