PDA

View Full Version : Western NY Tournaments

WFrame9109
01-15-2007, 05:40 AM
Hello everyone, I've been looking for tournaments in the Western Region of the Eastern Section in the Open division... Pretty much anything within 3 hours of Rochester, NY...

I haven't had any luck. Am I just searching for the wrong thing? Could someone point me in the right direction if so?

Is Tennis that unpopular out here in the boonies? :(

*edit* I should also ask: What range of players typically enter the National Open tournaments? More in terms of description than rating, as I have never done the rating thing.

Sakkijarvi
01-15-2007, 08:18 AM
I was going to start a new topic...but this one should do. I'm not looking for tournaments in WNY, I'm interested in entering a USTA tournament and know zip about them.

My questions are simply:

1. Is there a 3.5 'bracket' typically?

2. I assume there would be singles, is that so?

3. Are the brackets age independent? I'm 44.

Sakki

p.s. I'm not talking 'nationals', just the USTA tournaments I see listed for nearby clubs in the spring.

LoveThisGame
01-15-2007, 03:26 PM
WFrame9109,

Solution #1: Are you using the USTA website, the Eastern Section and looking within the appropriate age category?

I was born and raised in Jamestown, but that was long ago ;) . I also lived in Rochester for awhile.

Solution #2: Of course, a solution is to talk to a teaching pro at a club.

Solution #3: Another approach for you is to go to the TW Stringing forum and look for "SteveI". He lives in the Buffalo area. Since he doesn't have a posted email address, you may need to respond to him in a message thread, and giving your email address with a request to drop you a line. You might say that LoveThisGame suggested this.

WFrame9109
01-15-2007, 04:35 PM
WFrame9109,

Solution #1: Are you using the USTA website, the Eastern Section and looking within the appropriate age category?

I was born and raised in Jamestown, but that was long ago ;) . I also lived in Rochester for awhile.

Solution #2: Of course, a solution is to talk to a teaching pro at a club.

Solution #3: Another approach for you is to go to the TW Stringing forum and look for "SteveI". He lives in the Buffalo area. Since he doesn't have a posted email address, you may need to respond to him in a message thread, and giving your email address with a request to drop you a line. You might say that LoveThisGame suggested this.

1.) Yep, looking for Open as I'm 23 and don't fit any age categories!

2.) Yeah, I might try doing this, I'll have to search around though, as I only play at the university courts.

3.) I'll give this a shot if 2 fails!

WFrame9109
01-16-2007, 09:39 AM
*edit* solved

SteveI
02-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Hello everyone, I've been looking for tournaments in the Western Region of the Eastern Section in the Open division... Pretty much anything within 3 hours of Rochester, NY...

I haven't had any luck. Am I just searching for the wrong thing? Could someone point me in the right direction if so?

Is Tennis that unpopular out here in the boonies? :(

*edit* I should also ask: What range of players typically enter the National Open tournaments? More in terms of description than rating, as I have never done the rating thing.

Hi,

Drop me a line at Tennisguy63t@verizon.net

.... or... call..The Village Glen Tennis Center in my area just ran an Open Event (Cash !!!) and are planning to do so on a regular basis. Call the ProShop and ask for either Randy, Russ or Nick... they will give you all the info you need.

BTW.. my e-mail is listed in my profile.. :-)

Steve