PDA

View Full Version : USTA Team Registration Fees Increase 17%

Dr. Van Nostrand
01-15-2007, 09:12 AM
The cost to register on a team in the upcoming men's and women's season has increased from $18.00 to $21.00. Also, if you decide to un-register for a team you only get $18.00 of your original $21.00 registration fee back. I can understand that costs increase and there may be a need to increase team registration costs but a 17% increase seems a little steep. It was not that long ago that you could register an entire team for $75.00.

jagsv650
01-15-2007, 11:36 AM
I just regiestered for a 3.5 team and a 4.0 team and both of them were $18.00. Even if it went up to $25 per team I would still think it's a good deal. I used to spend more then that for my volleyball leauge teams and there were fewer matches in a season.

CrocodileRock
01-15-2007, 11:48 AM
I think it's still pretty cheap, considering some tournaments cost more than that, with only a 1 or 2 match guarantee. With league, you should get several matches, and you have the social aspects, and the chance to advance to sectionals.

Douggo
01-15-2007, 11:55 AM
This fee must differ from section to section. I play in Northern, and we pay $25 ($23 + $2 "TennisLink" fee, which is ridiculous, but that's for a whole other rant).

jamn73
01-15-2007, 02:40 PM
we pay 25 dollars plus a processing fee in TX. that's too much!! plus you have to pay for court time and balls and then the annual usta fee of 40.

PBODY99
01-15-2007, 03:16 PM
The fee is a money maker for the USTA in the eyes of many players. When you don't have a break out of the cost involved, who can say? It is a not too bad if you look at it as an entry fee to a tourney, where 1/2 of the players get at the most 2 matches; if their is a consolation round.

Cindysphinx
01-15-2007, 04:00 PM
In mid-Atlantic, we pay $18 per team, but we also play $15 per match, which covers balls and indoor court time of 2 hours.

I think league tennis is a screamin' good deal compared with golf.

Topaz
01-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Cindy, I'm in mid-atlantic, too...where are you?

Yeah, I still think our cost is not bad at all. I know lacrosse players who pay a lot more for their leagues.

Netgame
01-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Whether it's $18, $20, $25,...I think it's worth it. I love organized team competition and where else could we amateurs find it?

goober
01-16-2007, 05:44 AM
Whether it's $18, $20, $25,...I think it's worth it. I love organized team competition and where else could we amateurs find it?
Well there are other leagues besides USTA for team tennis in some areas.

jagsv650
01-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Well there are other leagues besides USTA for team tennis in some areas.

But it can't be much cheaper then USTA.

TriCitiesTennis
01-16-2007, 11:53 AM
$16.00 in East Tennessee

goober
01-16-2007, 03:00 PM
But it can't be much cheaper then USTA.

USTA you still have to pay for reservation of your home courts, that can vary from place to place but I remember with registration fee and court costs it was around $65-70/person a couple years ago. Also some of the teams were 1.5 hours away which is a lot of time and money on gas. It is not outrageous but there definitely were leagues locally that were cheaper.

oldguysrule
01-16-2007, 03:12 PM
USTA you still have to pay for reservation of your home courts, that can vary from place to place but I remember with registration fee and court costs it was around $65-70/person a couple years ago. Also some of the teams were 1.5 hours away which is a lot of time and money on gas. It is not outrageous but there definitely were leagues locally that were cheaper.

The amount of driving some of you do is crazy. Texas is a big state but I wouldn't dream of driving 1.5 hours for a league match.

goober
01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
The amount of driving some of you do is crazy. Texas is a big state but I wouldn't dream of driving 1.5 hours for a league match.
Yeah well I don't do it anymore :) What really bites is drving 80-90 minutes and having your opponent default which happened to me once.

tennis-n-sc
01-17-2007, 03:48 AM
The fees are set by sections, states and local leagues. On top of that is added a $2 fee for TennisLink, which rises to $3 in about a month. Outside TennisLink, the fee is split between the USTA at national, sectional, state and local levels. I do not have the percentage breakdown but when you see a large increase, it is usually at the local level to cover local costs. If you want more specifics in your area, ask your local league coordinator, or better yet, volunteer your services. They always need help. I find the fees very reasonable.

lefty10s
01-17-2007, 04:36 AM
Tennis-n-sc is correct. National gets the $2(soon to be $3), the rest goes to local league. The fees are also set by local league, for court time, admin, etc. Some local leagues vary greatly depending on lot of factors. Some seem like they are price-gouging, others seem too low. Our local league is $23, plus $2 Tennislink fee.

bleach
01-17-2007, 06:28 AM
I have heard that Tennis-Link is switching to a different company to provide the online services, thus the increase in fees. If you look at the Tennis Link home page, they are going to have a couple of down-days at the end of the month.

Islandtennis
01-17-2007, 06:50 AM
The Tennislink fee is only increasing from $2 to $3 because they are going to a different company. When you register, you pay the USTA Tennislink fee, a sectional fee, a state fee, and a local league fee. That is why your fee is so high. I our section, we only pay $11 for our Spring Adult and Senior league.

Roforot
01-17-2007, 08:52 PM
What grates on my nerve is that they F*ing call the 2-3$ surcharge a "Convenience Fee" or something like that and there's no way around it? I can't mail in my registration or call in w/ my Credit card. At least over in Texas it seems like they use the same stick in Tournaments? So who is it supposed to be convenient for?
I know it's a small thing and overall if the USTA had just increased the membership fees it wouldn't bother me as much as the "Convenience!"

tennis-n-sc
01-18-2007, 04:31 AM
What grates on my nerve is that they F*ing call the 2-3$ surcharge a "Convenience Fee" or something like that and there's no way around it? I can't mail in my registration or call in w/ my Credit card. At least over in Texas it seems like they use the same stick in Tournaments? So who is it supposed to be convenient for?
I know it's a small thing and overall if the USTA had just increased the membership fees it wouldn't bother me as much as the "Convenience!"

Don't know if you ever captained a team before "TennisLink", but I for sure condsider TennisLink a convenience, and worth every penny of the fee. The information available is incredible. The $2-$3 charge is nomina and I sure hope no one decides to go back to the good old days. It was a nightmare.

Cindysphinx
01-18-2007, 05:54 AM
I have heard that Tennis-Link is switching to a different company to provide the online services, thus the increase in fees. If you look at the Tennis Link home page, they are going to have a couple of down-days at the end of the month.

I sure hope the new company makes some changes. As I understand the current site, you can't do things like punch up a different league unless you have the name of a player in that league. It's also impossible to find someone if you don't have the exact spelling of the name; how come it won't offer you choices like Google does if you misspell?

Navigation at Tennislink is really pretty poor, IMHO.

Roforot
01-18-2007, 06:01 AM
First of all, I"d argue that setting these leagues up on the web could be done for a lot less, pennies rather than dollars. We have a local/free tennis ladder that manages the same sort of info on 100-150 players (who rotate in/out)

Nevertheless, my whole irritation is based more on how the fee is presented. There isn't an alternative. It would be similar to you wanting to order from Amazon and they charged a $2 convenience fee so that you can order online!

All this being said, I do enjoy playing and have made some good friends on the team. But I doubt if I will continue playing in leagues after my 3yr membership expires.

jagsv650
01-18-2007, 07:41 AM
It cracks me up what people will complain about. It's a $2 soon to be $3 fee you pay a few times a year. If that couple dollars is going to break you maybe you should be working a second job instead of playing tennis. I play with a guy like this. He complaines about the $15 court fee we pay at the beggining of each season. That $15 covers practice 2 days a week and our home matches for the league. If he would skip a few $5 cups of coffee from Starbucks each week or $6 drinks at the bar after work he wouldn't have a problem having the cash.

tennis-n-sc
01-18-2007, 09:32 AM
First of all, I"d argue that setting these leagues up on the web could be done for a lot less, pennies rather than dollars. We have a local/free tennis ladder that manages the same sort of info on 100-150 players (who rotate in/out)

Nevertheless, my whole irritation is based more on how the fee is presented. There isn't an alternative. It would be similar to you wanting to order from Amazon and they charged a $2 convenience fee so that you can order online!

All this being said, I do enjoy playing and have made some good friends on the team. But I doubt if I will continue playing in leagues after my 3yr membership expires.

I've never heard it called a convenience fee but it is a great convenience to have it available. There is an alternative, don't play.

Roforot
01-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I've never heard it called a convenience fee but it is a great convenience to have it available. There is an alternative, don't play.

Yes, if you did not notice, that will be my decision once my membership runs out. But I fear that as long as there are sheep, the USTA has no reason to change.

Islandtennis
01-19-2007, 06:50 AM
roforot,

Its understandable that paying $3 instead of $2 to the USTA for a season is reason enough not to play league tennis.

I hope you understand that for Tennislink to be effective, everyone who plays league tennis needs to be a part of it. It would be worthless if everyone was not in the system. The whole ability to track standings and records is worth the $3 to any captain. You trying to send in a "paper" registration would cost everyone far more than the $3 you want to save.

The scope of Tennislink is far greater than your 150 person ladder. Comparing the two both from a programing and administration standpoint is worse than trying to compare apples to oranges.

CrocodileRock
01-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Island, you're right on. Thanks for bringing some sanity to this thread. If the increase is too much for some people, I'd like to suggest a couple of other sports - rock-paper-scissors and paper football. I have heard their leagues aren't very expensive ;)

Roforot
01-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Perhaps we have different perspectives as consumers, which is fair.
I look at it this way, what has the USTA done to warrant a 17% increase in fees (as the title suggests), has it done something to improve the league play or improve the value of their product?

mctennis
01-19-2007, 05:17 PM
So what do you get for these fees? Could you play without having to pay these fees? USTA is such a ripoff. I've stopped playing in these tournaments because of the fees. You can have tournaments and not be USTA event. So unless your team is really GREAT why bother being in a USTA sanctioned event and have to pay these fees?

tennis-n-sc
01-20-2007, 05:31 AM
So what do you get for these fees? Could you play without having to pay these fees? USTA is such a ripoff. I've stopped playing in these tournaments because of the fees. You can have tournaments and not be USTA event. So unless your team is really GREAT why bother being in a USTA sanctioned event and have to pay these fees?

It is obvious that there are a great many people that do not understand the fees. First, the USTA has nothing to do with setting the entrance fees for tournaments. This is at the discretion of the local tournament director. The fees are used to cover costs and in my area, at least, any profit goes to a charitable cause that was pre-selected by the tournament director.

League fees are set by the local chapters. Again, USTA has nothing to do with the amount. As evidence of this, the fees for league entry in my location have not been increased in 5 years and were not increased this year. Once again, you live in America. If you don't like it, don't use it. But judging from the growth in USTA league play in most states, there doesn't seem to be a problem with the registration fees. Court time costs are not USTA associated.

Now I have some problems with USTA and its bureacracy, but it is not fee related.

goober
01-20-2007, 05:40 AM
It is obvious that there are a great many people that do not understand the fees. First, the USTA has nothing to do with setting the entrance fees for tournaments. This is at the discretion of the local tournament director. The fees are used to cover costs and in my area, at least, any profit goes to a charitable cause that was pre-selected by the tournament director.

Can you explain why USTA tournaments are consistently 2-3 x the cost of nonUSTA tournaments? Every nonUSTA tournament that I have entered has been between $5-15, while USTA events are $30-40. The tournaments are usually pretty much the same for the most part in terms of draw, goodies and so forth.

tennis-n-sc
01-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Can you explain why USTA tournaments are consistently 2-3 x the cost of nonUSTA tournaments? Every nonUSTA tournament that I have entered has been between $5-15, while USTA events are $30-40. The tournaments are usually pretty much the same for the most part in terms of draw, goodies and so forth.

Goober, I don't know for your area. We have very few non-USTA tourneys here and I have nothing to compare. The USTA tournaments here are usually held over a 3-4 day weekend and entry fee includes the tournament t-shirt, drinks and beer throughout the tourney, fruit and continental breakfast each day, a really fine meal on Friday or Saturday evening and the tropheys. The tournament also pays an official to be present each day and if not held at local club, court fees may have to be paid by the tournament. All balls are furnished, as well. I would say that at least 75% of the tournaments held in my local district are of the non-profit type. Most are single elimination but a few are seeing the benefits of a consolation bracket. I've assisted in some tournaments and they aren't cheap to pull off. The man-hours are unbelievable.

Cindysphinx
01-20-2007, 10:57 AM

What do you get for the fees?

Well, you get to play with people who are about as skilled as you are, so you get a challenge without being blown away or bored.

You get to play with new people, so you can't mentally cheat by playing to their known weaknesses. I like the variety of league play.

You get a computer system that lets you track the playing records of your friends and relatives and scout players.

You get a rules structure that tries to discourage cheating. It's not perfect, but considering that there are no officials, it's terrific that most tennis matches go off without a hitch. Can you imagine a baseball, basketball or soccer league without officials?

Me, I don't want to play tournaments. I can't devote a whole weekend to being at the beck and call of a tournament director. With league, I know exactly when I must play, and I only have to play every other week or so. When I step on the court, I have a chance to win despite my various, erm, hindrances like age.

I don't understand all the griping about USTA tennis. I think it is totally awesome, myself.

goober
01-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Goober, I don't know for your area. We have very few non-USTA tourneys here and I have nothing to compare. The USTA tournaments here are usually held over a 3-4 day weekend and entry fee includes the tournament t-shirt, drinks and beer throughout the tourney, fruit and continental breakfast each day, a really fine meal on Friday or Saturday evening and the tropheys. The tournament also pays an official to be present each day and if not held at local club, court fees may have to be paid by the tournament. All balls are furnished, as well. I would say that at least 75% of the tournaments held in my local district are of the non-profit type. Most are single elimination but a few are seeing the benefits of a consolation bracket. I've assisted in some tournaments and they aren't cheap to pull off. The man-hours are unbelievable.

Your USTA tourneys include a continental breakfast a " really fine evening" meal and free drinks and beer? Wow . Our USTA and nonUSTA tourneys get some food (definitely not fine cuisine and usually water) and a Tshirt. Some of the really cheapo ones don't have anything not even trophies yet they still charge $35-40!

Roforot
01-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Now I have some problems with USTA and its bureacracy, but it is not fee related.

To be honest, a great part of my irritation comes from the above. It's like a waiter giving bad service and then asking for a bigger tip. I am fortunate though that I live in a place where there are alternatives if you want to play tennis and have fun.

tennis-n-sc
01-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Your USTA tourneys include a continental breakfast a " really fine evening" meal and free drinks and beer? Wow . Our USTA and nonUSTA tourneys get some food (definitely not fine cuisine and usually water) and a Tshirt. Some of the really cheapo ones don't have anything not even trophies yet they still charge $35-40!

Yep, we have one of the largest tournaments of the year with over 300 entries at one of the priciest country clubs in town. The meal is in the main dining room and is usually a really good Italian buffet. At most of our tournaments, the beer supply never ends. You can even have beer with your bagel and creame cheese at 8:00 A.M. if you like. Of course, I don't drink alcohol and lose my butt with that portion of the fee.;)

tennis-n-sc
01-21-2007, 07:03 AM
To be honest, a great part of my irritation comes from the above. It's like a waiter giving bad service and then asking for a bigger tip. I am fortunate though that I live in a place where there are alternatives if you want to play tennis and have fun.

I think the USTA would be much more responsive if there were alternate avenues out there. Atlanta, for instance, has an organization called ALTA, which has far more participants than USTA in the area and for less money.

jagsv650
01-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Perhaps we have different perspectives as consumers, which is fair.
I look at it this way, what has the USTA done to warrant a 17% increase in fees (as the title suggests), has it done something to improve the league play or improve the value of their product?

It's not like they raise this fee every year. Would you rather a 4% increase each year? I'm sure they would do this instead since they would end up with more money that way. Cost of goods and services go up over time. The gas stations down here raised their prices something like 40% over the last year or so but the service and product hasn't improved any.

Dr. Van Nostrand
01-21-2007, 10:54 PM
It's not like they raise this fee every year. Would you rather a 4% increase each year? I'm sure they would do this instead since they would end up with more money that way. Cost of goods and services go up over time. The gas stations down here raised their prices something like 40% over the last year or so but the service and product hasn't improved any.

Along the same vein however is the fact that what you get for playing USTA league tennis is the same today as it was last year, two years ago, five years ago, and nine years ago. I don't see any added value to USTA League tennis today compaqred to 1998 when I first played USTA League tennis. The point has been made that for the price USTA League tennis is still a good deal but it is still relevant to question whether USTA League administration costs have increased from the point of charging $75.00 to register an entire team to $21.00 per person in nine years. I am referring about Norcal USTA tennis.

jimmycoop
02-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Hey tennis-n-sc--where are you in SC? I'm close enough (in MS) to come over for some of your tournaments! Our situation here is much the same as Goober's--for $30-$40 entry fee you get another T-shirt and lunch on Sat.(Fri-Sat-Sun tournament) which is usually pizza. Need a doubles partner?

tennis-n-sc
02-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Hey tennis-n-sc--where are you in SC? I'm close enough (in MS) to come over for some of your tournaments! Our situation here is much the same as Goober's--for $30-$40 entry fee you get another T-shirt and lunch on Sat.(Fri-Sat-Sun tournament) which is usually pizza. Need a doubles partner?

You are in Mississippi and willing to travel to SC for a tournament? Geez, there must not be much going on there. What part of the state you in?

eunjam
02-09-2007, 10:47 AM
The cost to register on a team in the upcoming men's and women's season has increased from $18.00 to $21.00. Also, if you decide to un-register for a team you only get $18.00 of your original $21.00 registration fee back. I can understand that costs increase and there may be a need to increase team registration costs but a 17% increase seems a little steep. It was not that long ago that you could register an entire team for $75.00.

unfortunately......you need the USTA, more than USTA needs you.

sad fact, but sometimes the truth hurts.

i remember in the 80's it cost $10 to enter tournaments.

pagepa
02-09-2007, 10:57 AM
It amazes me how people will gripe about a league fee thats less than $30. The USTA is a huge organization. Tennis Link is a tremendous benefit to players, captains, and coordinators. When TennisLink came along, it made every USTA player's and captain's life a lot easier. Before TL, there were so many issues with ineligible players not added to rosters, players who were not USTA members, etc. Not to mention all the match scores that were input incorrectly due to captain's illegible handwriting. Or the captains that never submitted their scorecards through the mail so countless match results were never entered at all. I wonder how many players were bumped up or down based on inaccurate and incomplete information? TL is a bargain at $2 - $3 per player. Tennis Link fees just went up in our area to $3 per player due to the USTA's partnership with Active.com. Active.com will give USTA members additional benefits such as restaurant discounts, etc. There is information out there if players take the time to look for it and ask. Most prefer to gripe.

What else do you get for your league fees? Players get organized competitive matches set up for them for an entire season. Players have the chance to compete against a variety of players at a variety of locations in their local area. They get the chance to advance to District, Sectional, and National tournaments. They get Area League Coordinators constantly working to recruit players and captains to ehance the leagues. ALC's also work with local tennis clubs and facility's on an ongoing basis. Even though a league season may only last for about 3 months, ALC's responsibilities last all year long. All of this for a lot less than the cost of one private tennis lesson. I call that a bargain. I don't know of any other adult recreational sports leagues that compares. I used to play league softball and it wasn't nearly as organized, had nothing beyond the local league, and it cost more money per person.

Also, keep in mind that it costs money to run and organize the USTA league tennis program. Many District and Sectional offices have a staff of paid employees. I'm glad they are paid employees. Paid employees are more professional, better qualified, and generally will do a much better job than volunteers. Local Area League Coordinators also have expenses, and certainly should not be expected to pay out of their own pockets to run leagues. They have the usual office expense and many spend many hours of their personal time working behind the scenes. Some coordinators have court fees to cover, some do not. Players and captains generally have no clue what's involved in starting leagues and running them.

The USTA League tennis program is not perfect, but it's a very good program. Players and captains who gripe about league fees, especially fees under $30 - $35, usually don't know what's involved behind the scenes.

eunjam
02-09-2007, 01:47 PM
It amazes me how people will gripe about a league fee thats less than $30. The USTA is a huge organization. Tennis Link is a tremendous benefit to players, captains, and coordinators. When TennisLink came along, it made every USTA player's and captain's life a lot easier. Before TL, there were so many issues with ineligible players not added to rosters, players who were not USTA members, etc. Not to mention all the match scores that were input incorrectly due to captain's illegible handwriting. Or the captains that never submitted their scorecards through the mail so countless match results were never entered at all. I wonder how many players were bumped up or down based on inaccurate and incomplete information? TL is a bargain at $2 - $3 per player. Tennis Link fees just went up in our area to $3 per player due to the USTA's partnership with Active.com. Active.com will give USTA members additional benefits such as restaurant discounts, etc. There is information out there if players take the time to look for it and ask. Most prefer to gripe.

What else do you get for your league fees? Players get organized competitive matches set up for them for an entire season. Players have the chance to compete against a variety of players at a variety of locations in their local area. They get the chance to advance to District, Sectional, and National tournaments. They get Area League Coordinators constantly working to recruit players and captains to ehance the leagues. ALC's also work with local tennis clubs and facility's on an ongoing basis. Even though a league season may only last for about 3 months, ALC's responsibilities last all year long. All of this for a lot less than the cost of one private tennis lesson. I call that a bargain. I don't know of any other adult recreational sports leagues that compares. I used to play league softball and it wasn't nearly as organized, had nothing beyond the local league, and it cost more money per person.

Also, keep in mind that it costs money to run and organize the USTA league tennis program. Many District and Sectional offices have a staff of paid employees. I'm glad they are paid employees. Paid employees are more professional, better qualified, and generally will do a much better job than volunteers. Local Area League Coordinators also have expenses, and certainly should not be expected to pay out of their own pockets to run leagues. They have the usual office expense and many spend many hours of their personal time working behind the scenes. Some coordinators have court fees to cover, some do not. Players and captains generally have no clue what's involved in starting leagues and running them.

The USTA League tennis program is not perfect, but it's a very good program. Players and captains who gripe about league fees, especially fees under $30 - $35, usually don't know what's involved behind the scenes.

i'm not griping.

it is what it is.

Raiden.Kaminari
02-15-2007, 05:44 PM

Have to agree mostly with you. But have you seen what kind of salaries they pay some of the people? Especially the USTA president?

I like the old days also when you could play $10 for tournaments, and that would be the end of it. People would know who the cheaters were. If someone played down, the tournament director wouldn't allow it unless the person was legitimately injured and needed to play down, unless they were an open player (then they could only play A, but never B, C, or D).