PDA

View Full Version : length of string

Tennis_Gnat
01-15-2007, 09:33 AM
I know this sounds like a really dumb question, but I want to be sure.

Is it 40 ft for the whole length of string needed and 10, out of that 40 for the side that doesn't go across, that's just the mains?

I think I messed up my 10 feet one day and went short on string for the crosses. I measure by wing span and mine's about 5'6" so I would do 8 arm lengths for 40 feet.

EDIT: I meant to put this in the strings and stringing section mods! Sorry!! Move it if you'd like!

tennis-skater
01-15-2007, 09:40 AM
I would do a more reliable way. You have to have a ruler or something at your house. Last night I came up perfectly just barely making it by an inch. I find that you dont really need 40ft but if you have a reel measure extra the first time and then measure how much left over you have and do the simple math. I've calculated that doing a one peice in my pure control std I can get away using 31ft of string. But before I do it with 31ft first I'll do it with 32ft and see if I can lose another foot.

Netgame
01-15-2007, 10:46 AM
If you can find the string patterns, it should say how long the Mains and Crosses are.
(http://www.klipperusa.com/stringing/manufacturers.php)

Example: 19'M , 18'C
M=Main String
C=Cross String

Like tennis-skaters says, you should measure with a ruler or something unless you are in a speed contest or something.:)

I usually string all my mains before tensioning anyway. That way I can tell if I'm coming up short and then adjust them.

Tennis_Gnat
01-15-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm not in a speed contest. hehe. me? Who strung her first racquet in just over 2hrs? Speed contest? naaaah. I just have to find a ruler. I'm sure I have one somewhere. Eureka! I have found one!

Well, apparently it looks like I need 34' total. Though I'm going to add an extra foot just in case. At least to start off!

Thanks to both of you!

tennis-skater
01-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Don't worry took me about 3 to do my first now I can do it in about 45 going at a normal pace but if I really need to get it off I could probably manage 25-30. What machine did you get?

Tennis_Gnat
01-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Don't worry took me about 3 to do my first now I can do it in about 45 going at a normal pace but if I really need to get it off I could probably manage 25-30. What machine did you get?

I haven't got one, but I use the school's. I'll tell you the model for sure once I get down to the KAC and know that the stringing room is open. Though I'm looking at buying a machine. A nice, economical, solid, machine, probably a crank. And I'll tell you how my stringing goes. I'm also watching stringing vids to procrastinate. hehe