PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hit against a wall?

GuyClinch
08-23-2004, 10:57 PM
I have been trying to hit against the wall for a bit to improve my game. I try to stand fairly far back - to practice the groundstrokes but the ball bounces twice and ends up really low. I do that because I hear it's bad to rush your stroke. But I am not sure this helps because when you play you tend to get alot of high balls - not low ones.

I have used some masking tape to put a line on the wall - and tried to make some targets to practice my serve - but in all honestly my serve seems worse then ever on a real court.

So anyone actually improve hitting against a wall?

Also speaking of serves mine isn't very good. I kind of have a baseball motion with my back leg coming forward instead of a nice upward "hop" like real servers have. Also I should be hitting the ball like twice as hard as I do - seriously. It's kind of embarrassing.

Any beginner types ever have that kind of problem?

Pete

jayserinos99
08-23-2004, 11:27 PM
i use the wall to practice a lot. it never gets tired and always brings the ball back. i typically warm up usually with a wall to get my eyes going. i work on my groundies at slow pace first at the service line or close to it, so that i can mimic the mini-tennis drill. after i get my eyes adjusted to the ball, i start to move back and hit regular groundies. after that, i move up closer to the net and work on my volleys by volleying against the wall and not letting the ball bounce. lastly i do the overhead drill which is basically bouncing the ball on the ground before it hits the wall so that it will come up and look like a lob. this helps with the serve as it should warm up your shoulder.

thehustler
08-23-2004, 11:35 PM
I've never liked hitting against a wall. Some walls are just bad. You get weird bounces off them and it just doesn't feel right. I like to know where my forehand, backhand, etc would land on a court, not on a wall. It's good to practice returning low balls though. I hit a lot of low balls to my opponents to set myself up to come to the net. They have to lob them up and I just put the shots away. As far as practicing a serve, I'd only do that on a court. That way you know exactly where your serve is going and what you need to work on. As far as serving goes I've noticed a lot of people have different styles of serving and I'm no pro on that. I have my own compact style that works for me but not for others. I'm sure someone else here will tell you how to correct your serve. I find the best thing to do when practicing is get a hitting partner. If you can't find one then take a bucket of balls and just hit them cross court. Use one bucket on your forehand, another on your backhand, volleys, overheads, serves, etc. That worked for me when I didn't have anybody to feed me and I think has done more for my game than a wall ever could. I've even played some people who always hit against the wall, bu their strokes are nowhere near where they should be. I'm going to stop rambling now and go to bed. Good luck.

K!ck5w3rvE
08-24-2004, 02:03 AM
Playing against a wall is good for your strokes, especially volleys, but it ruins your range.

Camilio Pascual
08-24-2004, 03:22 AM
Walls are a good place to scout for hitting partners. That way you don't have to hit...against a wall.

TennsDog
08-24-2004, 05:47 AM
I grew up hitting against a three story brick wall. I would hit against it everyday for almost an hour (age 9 - 16). That is probably why I am now a baseliner, but it does give you a lot of groundstrokes to look at. Later, when I realized the same thing you did about low balls, I started hitting harder, higher, and with more spin. This usually puts the ball at a good height. Even if they are a little low, it can still help you develop a groove for your strokes which can later be adjusted. It may also help to be a little closer. When I served against the wall, I would not have targets, but rather put a vertical line (or at least imagine it) and just try to hit to one side or the other of it about a foot or two above. I think hitting against a wall has a lot to offer, especially a beginner to intermediate level player, but it is no substitute for the whole court.

C_Urala
08-24-2004, 06:18 AM
I would recommend you to hit against a wall. This is a good drill. Just take it as a drill. Like, you know, to run faster, you should make a lot of situps. You do not do situps while you are running, but this exercise helps alot. The same is with the wall. When you practice against it, you just groove your strokes. In a real game, there is a lot more than just strokes, but you have to have them too.

Stand close to the wall and try to hit slow balls but with complete strokes. Your concern now is not speed or placement. Just your strokes. And only when you feel that you can control these slow balls, you can try to hit harder.
The wall is a really good drill.

jackzon
08-24-2004, 07:34 AM
One tip I got that seems to help: Use a dead ball.

My schedule makes it harder for me to get out to the courts for an hour or two. There is a wall not too far from where I live so I try to go there before work. It definitely has helped with my strokes, especially volleys. Also great for aerobics.

One thing I would like are some ideas for how to make the time more interesting and productive. Any ideas?

TennsDog
08-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Why would you use dead balls against the wall? In my experience, it is actually more important to use newer balls against the wall than when on the court. This is because when you hit against the wall, there is no spin or pace on it when it hits the ground before getting to you so it needs more of its own bounce. On a court with a partner, the topspin, angle, and pace will make it bounce a bit more even with dead balls. I found it nearly impossible to hit with dead balls against the wall because it just doesn't get back to me before practically rolling.

Bungalo Bill
08-24-2004, 11:04 AM
I have been trying to hit against the wall for a bit to improve my game. I try to stand fairly far back - to practice the groundstrokes but the ball bounces twice and ends up really low.

You should let the ball bounce twice if you're back and practicing your groundstrokes. If it is a flat wall the ball coming off the wall and on the first bounce is not a realistic bounce. By the time the second bounce happens the ball is starting to come more toward you and it is a little more realistic.

If it is a flat wall, it will stay low. That is the problem with most backboards they are built wrong for a true tennis bounce. Sometimes the ball doesnt bounce right and you end up sort of lunging for the ball expecting it to come more towards your strike zone. That is common and you just have to deal with it.

I do that because I hear it's bad to rush your stroke. But I am not sure this helps because when you play you tend to get alot of high balls - not low ones.

Dont rush your strokes against a backboard. Hitting against a backboard is not about seeing how hard you can hit it or how fast you can swing. It is about grooving the swing path or your stroke, so you do have to slow it down and relax. It is also working on learning your contact point and how to be consistant with your stroke to hit the ball as it reaches your contact point.

On the court, you might have to make a few timing adjustments because the ball will be coming more AT you.

I have used some masking tape to put a line on the wall - and tried to make some targets to practice my serve - but in all honestly my serve seems worse then ever on a real court.

That is a great thing to do and highly recommended. That is a good way to get feedback. Make sure you are putting the ball about three to four feet above the line with a full relaxed stroke.

So anyone actually improve hitting against a wall?

Yes, I practice on the wall all the time. I practice hitting medium paced balls and just work on a smooth swing and a good contact with the ball. I think the best stroke for a wall is the volley. Working on your volley against a wall is simply an excellent way to practice. It really works your forearms, the things you learn transfers the best to the courts. The volley is about reflexes and hand eye coodination, so the wall is perfect for improving your volley.

Also speaking of serves mine isn't very good. I kind of have a baseball motion with my back leg coming forward instead of a nice upward "hop" like real servers have. Also I should be hitting the ball like twice as hard as I do - seriously. It's kind of embarrassing.

Any beginner types ever have that kind of problem?

Look up posts on serving. You will find plenty of training aids and graphics that will help you visiualize what you need to do.

Pete

lendl lives
08-24-2004, 11:25 AM
i was practicing some things against a wall and started to think, 'man this is alot easier against the wall'.....then i realized the line on the wall was about a foot and a half too low.

i remember being in high school hitting inside my garage watching the us open on tv and trying to copy lendl's one handed bh. it was always great against the wall but on the court i couldn't get that darn one hander down.