PDA

View Full Version : Solo Serve tips? Is there anything else I can do?

sonnylax
08-24-2004, 04:32 AM
Anyone have any tips for improving your serve (by yourself)? Does anyone have any drills for hit a bucket of balls? Or is the only thing you can really do is put out three marks (at the T, middle, and near the doubles alley) for target practice?

Also, are there any drills I can do to try to improve my tosses (so they become more consistent)?

TennsDog
08-24-2004, 05:51 AM
When I serve by myself, I don't go for placement so much as practicing spin, pace, and consistancy of just getting it in. One thing I like to do is to hit topspin serves and see how far up the back fence I can get it to hit (or stick). If the serve hits 3 feet up the fence, it is a good serve. I have gotten them to hit up to around 4 feet before which is great.
As to making your toss more consistant, you can just put a target on the ground in front of your feet where you want the ball to land if you didn't hit it, and try to get the ball to hit the target consistantly (it's actually pretty tough).

vin
08-24-2004, 05:59 AM
Here are a few things I do when practicing my serve.

1. Play a match against yourself. If you get your first serve or second serve where you want it, you win the point (a first serve that is in the box but not where you want it is a fault). If not, you lose the point.

2. Take 20 balls out of the hopper and put them on the ground. Hit second serves and aim to get at least 17 of them in. The reason I say to put the 20 balls on the ground is because otherwise it's hard to keep track of how many serves you hit and how many you got in. Or you can just count how many you miss and aim for 3 or less.

If I'm working on technique, I usually just hit serves without thinking about placement.

For practicing your toss, you can place a racquet on the ground in front of and to the right of your front foot and try to get your tosses to land on it. Or you could just mark the ground somehow. This should help for the placement of your toss, but probably won't help the height much. If you want to work on the height, you can toss next to a fence or wall while trying to get your toss to the same height every time.

I'm sure there's some better drills out there, but these are the only ones I know.