PDA

View Full Version : AG stringer?

thewallylama
01-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Anyone know anything about this model AG stringer (or AG stringers in general)? It looks like an older version of one now sold (by NCS Sports) for $269. Someone is selling it, locally, for $45. Thanks!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p268/thewallylama/tennis.jpg

tennis-skater
01-15-2007, 04:16 PM
hmm looks pretty good just clean it up and i bet it could look brand new. the things people can do with a mr clean sponge. you can upgrade a racket from 8/10 to 9/10 condtion

dancraig
01-15-2007, 05:27 PM
I would make sure all the parts are there. You are going to need two working clamps. I would also make sure it works properly. Make sure modern, oversized frames will mount securely on that mounting.
Here is a little advice for anyone looking for an used machine on e bay. Beware of any seller that claims, "I really don't know much about stringing machines. I got this from ________. It appears to be in great shape and all the parts seem to be there. Sold as is."
You can imagine how easy it would be for a non-stringer to have no idea about any missing parts or if it would even operate.

f2fanatic
01-16-2007, 08:25 AM
I have one like this; there is a sticker saying it was manufactured in 1990! That is about the time I bought it. Never had any problems with it. If you can post a picture showing the complete stringer, specially the part that holds the racquet , I could look to see if it has everything it is supposed to.

thewallylama
01-16-2007, 07:11 PM
f2fanatic: I wasn't expecting to find an actual owner of this machine! This is the only picture I have, emailed to me from a seller on craigslist, so I don't know if I can a better photo. It is hard to see from the picture if it has all the parts. From what you can see--the 2 mounting points that are visible, do they seem to be intact? I'll probably just buy a new, inexpensive Alpha String Pal, but I thought this little bargain was worth investigating!

varuscelli
01-17-2007, 10:23 AM
I have one like this; there is a sticker saying it was manufactured in 1990! That is about the time I bought it. Never had any problems with it. If you can post a picture showing the complete stringer, specially the part that holds the racquet , I could look to see if it has everything it is supposed to.

Hey, f2fanatic, why don't you consider sending in some photos of your AG for the stringing machine photo library? So far I have NO photos in the owner/user section for AG machines. I'd welcome them if you have the time or inclination to send some in. ;)

Al Ruscelli
vruscelli@houston.rr.com

f2fanatic
01-18-2007, 05:49 AM
These are not the main mounting points; you put them against the racket to secure it so it does not tend to move sideways when you tension the strings and they also tend to lower the stress on the racquet, prevent deformation. The side stoppers we see are only missing nylon sleeves over the metal in order to prevent damage to the side of the racquet; you can make some easily.
For varuscelli, I will take some pictures this weekend.
Michel

varuscelli
01-18-2007, 07:07 AM
For varuscelli, I will take some pictures this weekend.
Michel

Great... ;)

I'll look forward to whatever you've got to send. Thanks, Michel.

Al