PDA

View Full Version : Ratings Appeal

Ronaldo
01-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Anyone that has appealed their computer rating, please reply. Need to appeal but need to know what documentation must be added to the appeal form to justify a lower rating? Played close matches against 4.0 players but lost, only wins were against 3.5 or weak 4.0 players. But those matches were not close at all.

cak
01-16-2007, 01:07 PM
I have appealed. No need to supply any documentation whatsoever. Just check the box, they look at your 3 digit (invisible) rating, if you are .05 (.1 for seniors) or less above the cutoff your appeal is allowed, if you are .06 (or .11 for seniors) above the cutoff your appeal is rejected. So for a 4.0, if your 3 digit rating is 4.03, your appeal back to 4.0 will be granted.

If you are going for a medical appeal you need documentation from your medical professional that because of a new debilitating injury your motion/stamina/etc will never be back to what it was before. I have seen appeals due to rotator cuff surgery turned down, as eventually their shoulders will be as good as they were before. The only medical appeal I've seen granted was for someone who had nerve damage to her hand, and would never be able to grip a racket like she used to. Incidently, she had her physical therapist write her letter. So rule of thumb is, if you will get better eventually, probably not worth tracking down the doctor's letter.

oldguysrule
01-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Cak is right on the money...

Also, the deadline to appeal was back in December.

Jack the Hack
01-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Here are all the rules for appealing a rating:

http://www.pnw.usta.com/usaleaguetennis/custom.sps?iType=1350&icustompageid=19585

This is on the USTA Pacific Northwest Section website, but it should be the same all over the country (except for where your appeal is filed). Other sections actually post a list of who has appealed and what the outcome was, but the PNW does not (you have to look in TennisLink to see if the rating changed).

There is no deadline for filing appeals... at least not in the PNW, so I assume it is the same elsewhere.

oldguysrule
01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
There is no deadline for filing appeals... at least not in the PNW, so I assume it is the same elsewhere.

Texas does have a deadline. This year it was Dec 27 or 28th?

Apparently each section can decide if they will have a deadline. Seems like there should be one though.

Jack the Hack
01-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Texas does have a deadline. This year it was Dec 27 or 28th?

Apparently each section can decide if they will have a deadline. Seems like there should be one though.

In the PNW section, the main men's and women's league season doesn't start until February, so a December deadline would be tough for folks here. I know our team just got set up in the computer a week or two ago, and hardly anyone has signed up yet (on ours or any of the other teams either)... so I bet that most people aren't even thinking about appeals until the season is about to start and they are trying to make it onto a roster.

Maybe Texas has a deadline because either the league starts earlier or there are more potential players that could appeal (which would be more of an administrative headache for the section coordinator)? However, given that the NTRP system is a national program (via the TennisLink computer), it seems a little wierd that the rules would be different in each section.

Ronaldo
01-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Read you can appeal at any time. Not a medical appeal but certainly could use one. Did not play the 2005 season after two open heart surgeries.

oldguysrule
01-16-2007, 05:53 PM
In the PNW section, the main men's and women's league season doesn't start until February, so a December deadline would be tough for folks here. I know our team just got set up in the computer a week or two ago, and hardly anyone has signed up yet (on ours or any of the other teams either)... so I bet that most people aren't even thinking about appeals until the season is about to start and they are trying to make it onto a roster.

Maybe Texas has a deadline because either the league starts earlier or there are more potential players that could appeal (which would be more of an administrative headache for the section coordinator)? However, given that the NTRP system is a national program (via the TennisLink computer), it seems a little wierd that the rules would be different in each section.

The appeals form says to check with your section for deadline information.

Our leagues are usually played in April, May, and June depending on what district you are in. Sectionals are in August.

Ronaldo
01-18-2007, 09:59 AM
The appeals form says to check with your section for deadline information.

Our leagues are usually played in April, May, and June depending on what district you are in. Sectionals are in August.

Our district has no deadline. Used a yr-end appeal which is clearccut, all players who are .05 above or below NTRP level will be granted. Must be 4.05 or above since my appeal is denied. It is all good

jamn73
01-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Can you get your USTA rating? I am a 3.5 rated player, but want to see how close I am to 4.0. I have beaten a couple 4.0 rated players and haven't been bumped. I have lost some double's matches at 3.5 (partner of course).