PDA

View Full Version : Bad habit preventing hitting through forehand

vin
08-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Today I figured out another reason why I have trouble hitting through the ball and I think this one is big. Maybe it will help someone else out if I explain it.

If you hit a lot of topspin, frame a lot of balls, have trouble hitting through the ball, and have trouble hitting flat, chances are you may be doing the same thing I was.

Today at the wall I was specifically concentrating on extending through the ball. Things weren't going well, so I decided to just try and hit the ball flat no matter how akward it felt. After an hour I was doing well and was trying to groove the feeling and understand what was different.

I realized that in my normal swing, I drop my hitting shoulder at the beginning of the forward swing and then tilt my torso sideways sending the the hitting shoulder upwards. This must be a natural habit I developed to hit topspin. So basically it's like I go down for a side bend as I'm starting to swing and then come up from the side bend at the same time my shoulders are rotating. Or another way to put it is that I would project my shoulder more upwards than forward. I hope this make sense because it seems like a bad topspin habit that is probably easy to pick up.

Kobble
08-24-2004, 09:21 PM
I think I used to do the same thing, I remember a feeling like that along time ago. Your right a move like that would hinder extension through the ball.

chrisab508
08-29-2004, 07:54 AM
hey Vin,
I usually like to explore every possibility for my forehand to see if maybe that one thing will make it better. Think you could explain what your problem was a little more? i know your explanation is indepth already, however, I wasn't able to follow it...

Sorry,

Chris.

vin
08-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Stand with your arms spread apart and tilt your torso and shoulders so that your hitting arm raises upwards.

Then stand with your arms spread apart again, but this time rotate your torso and shoulders so that your hitting arm goes forward.

On my forehand, I was beginning the forward swing with the racquet quite a bit lower than the ball and would begin to rotate. As I pushed off of my leg to rotate my hips, I would use that energy to do more of the shoulder tilt I first described than the rotation that I described after. Basically I was tilting my torso from low to high for more topspin. Now I use the leg drive and hip rotation to continue the shoulder rotation going forward rather than redirecting it upwards. This allows me to hit through the ball and it makes a BIG difference.

I was happily surprised to find that working on this has significantly improved my forehand return of serve in addition to my forehand in general. Return of serve is the worst part of my game and now I see potential for that to change!

Hope that helps.

JohnThomas1
08-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Interesting stuff vin. I used to rock off the ball by transfering my weight from the right foot to the left in my open stance, which meant i rocked sideways off the ball and sometimes dragged it left amongst other bad things.