PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma with Placement of Diagnostic Equipment on Photostringer.com

varuscelli
01-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Hey, guys. On the photostringer.com website, I've had to make certain pages and links sort of evolve as the overall concept of the site has come to more or less a . . . hmmm . . . "self realization" state.

I'm slowly starting to see the need to put in a separate section for diagnostic equipment. I see some logistical problems in doing this with the way I've set things up, but so be it.

But here's part of the deal. I've had someone send me the most remarkable set of equipment photos that I've ever seen. I mean this from "equipment inventor" standpoint.

I'm getting ready to post some photos and text related to an equipment inventor's pieces for "Dual Force Gauges," "Frame Micrometers," "Stringbed Stiffness," and "String Length Measurement."

It's just amazing to me what some folks can come up with when they have the mechanical and engineering ability to do so.

The reason I bring this up is that I have nowhere to place this equipment since it's not a part of some major manufacturer's offerings. But if I make a separate category for this stuff, maybe I need to include all diagnostic equipment in a separate category with each "set" linked back to the major manufacturer where applicable.

Argh...sorry if this is vague. It's just that my brain is full. ;)

But...should I create a section on the site that is dedicated to purely diagnostic equipment? I think the answer is yes... :confused:

Right now I have a mix of equipment that is placed either under a major manufacturer or under the "miscellaneous tools and equipment" section. So, any help or suggestions to assist me in better organizing the site are welcome.

T.J. Planas
01-17-2007, 03:04 PM
You are right...the answer is "YES!" Create a diagnostic tools and equipment section.

-T.J.

eunjam
01-17-2007, 03:05 PM
how about:

http://photostringer.com/tools.html

varuscelli
01-17-2007, 03:28 PM
how about:

http://photostringer.com/tools.html

Good suggestion, but not specific enough. In setting up the site, I have already set up a section like this:

http://www.photostringer.com/misc_equipment_tools.htm

BUT...I think that page is too "all encompassing" and not broken out as appropriately as it could be (that is, the page as it exists tries to cover too much).

Thus, I'm thinking about breaking that out further into something like "Diagnostic Equipment" and "Hand Tools," if not making making even further subdivisions.

eunjam
01-17-2007, 03:57 PM
btw varuscelli.....you fricking rule. thanks again for all the effort you are putting in for this.....so fans of tennis equipment can leech off your bandwidth!, i mean, we can all learn about all the different equip out there.

j/k

varuscelli
01-17-2007, 05:31 PM
btw varuscelli.....you fricking rule. thanks again for all the effort you are putting in for this.....so fans of tennis equipment can leech off your bandwidth!, i mean, we can all learn about all the different equip out there.

j/k

Hey, eunjam, all jokes aside -- thanks. :)

It is definitely not an easy thing. I've worked my butt off trying to put the site together and that's the truth. Community-level contributions have been great....in fact, FANTASTIC. But I've still got to coordinate it all, and at times I've found that coordination part to be quite difficult. No kidding. I think it's worth it, though. I'm giving it my best shot, in any case. ;)

eunjam
01-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey, eunjam, all jokes aside -- thanks. :)

It is definitely not an easy thing. I've worked my butt off trying to put the site together and that's the truth. Community-level contributions have been great....in fact, FANTASTIC. But I've still got to coordinate it all, and at times I've found that coordination part to be quite difficult. No kidding. I think it's worth it, though. I'm giving it my best shot, in any case. ;)

i think i brought this up a while ago when you were first thinking about the site.....but have you thought about watermarking those pics? i would think that there's some bad people out there on that internet thingy that would take advantage of the work you do/have done.

varuscelli
01-20-2007, 12:07 PM
i think i brought this up a while ago when you were first thinking about the site.....but have you thought about watermarking those pics? i would think that there's some bad people out there on that internet thingy that would take advantage of the work you do/have done.

Yeah, I remember that coming up but was never quite sure how to address it. Since the photos are of so many origins there are questions I have not been able to easily answer about how they should be marked (if at all). I don't want to try and imply ownership on my part for other people's machine photos... ;)

And I do think that because the world of stringers and stringing-related sites is relatively small, if anyone tried to "take" them for use elsewhere, we'd probably all know about it pretty quickly. I mean if the intent was to use them on the internet.

So I dunno...it's kind of an awkward thing to know what I should or shouldn't do in this case. :confused: