PDA

View Full Version : How do I enter an "Open"?

TheGreatestAudia
01-18-2007, 11:21 AM
How can I enter into one of these "Opens"? I just started playing tennis about 4 months ago. I started out at 2.5 (K-Swiss) because I had never played organized tennis before. However, I went undefeated and finished with a rating that barred me from playing in the playoffs because I was underrated. Believe me, I wasn't trying to do this. I have always been really athletic and in this league I didn't have much competition at all. I am moving two spots up to 3.0+. (In K-Swiss there's a 3.0- and 3.0+.)

goober
01-18-2007, 03:27 PM
You mean a USTA Open ? Just join USTA pay membership fee and join a tourney in your area through tennislink on the USTA website.

I would highly suggest you don't do it. You may be cleaning up on the 2.5 level but you would be wasting time on the Open level. I would join a 3.0 USTA tourney or league.

moonshine
01-18-2007, 04:35 PM
I will reiterate what goober stated. Find tournaments in the 3.0 level and play those. You should be able to find some in Georgia. Understand though that "Open" tournaments are open to anybody - even paid professionals looking for a hit. The Davis Cup team from an African country played an "open" tournament in Texas - and there wasn't even any prize money.

rommil
01-19-2007, 07:53 AM
You could always "play up" to 3.5 or 4.0 maybe but there are a lot of very strong and consistent players in an open tourament. All you need like the other posters said is a USTA membership.

jgn1013
01-19-2007, 09:36 AM
so in these "open" tournaments do you only play players with the same ranking as yourself, or do you play against all players?

WFrame9109
01-19-2007, 10:46 AM
so in these "open" tournaments do you only play players with the same ranking as yourself, or do you play against all players?

Open. Literally. Open.

As in, open to anyone.

However, from what I understand, it's typically very good players, and occasionally old pros.

Tchocky
01-19-2007, 11:23 AM
I didn't know K-Swiss had their own ratings. Are they comparable to NTRP ratings?

TheGreatestAudia
01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Yea. They have their own rankings running from 2.5-6.0. I wouldn't know how they would compare to any other rankings though. I'm very new to the whole "tennis scene". But, then again, to quote the philosophers that are known as "Fall Out Boy", "This ain't a scene. It's an arms race."