PDA

View Full Version : A ? about the junior 12s...

mhsfirstsgls
01-18-2007, 03:25 PM
My sister’s eleven years old, and plays with a PD Roddick + Midplus with two 3 inch long pieces of lead tape on it with a ¾ inch grip, is she a freak?

Haha. Anyways…

She wants to start competing, and I’m trying to get a good gauge as to whether or not she’d do well in the New England 12s. She hits with a one handed forhand, two handed backhand with her strokes at about a varsity girls high school speed with great direction and control, and they’re very ‘heavy’ hit balls. Right now her serves are the most attackable part of her game but with a little instruction I think I can change that. Her volleying is ok, but her overheads and drop shots are sub-par. She’s in extremely good shape and has the stamina to stay out on the court for hours (trust me, we’ve done it ) Her style is very similar to a pre-Jimmy Connors Roddick, a baseline basher haha.

What are the girls’ 12s like? How hard are the balls hit/how fast is the gameplay? How fast are the serves? Is good netplay essential from the start or will she be able to continually learn good net play as she progresses into the 14s?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

gbt tennis acer
01-18-2007, 03:49 PM
She does sound a little crazy with all that weight but hey if she can handle it it won't hurt. I think she will do fine in New England 12's from what I have seen in the past. As long as she is hitting consistantly. She might not win every tournament but its a great place to start. Where in New England will she be playing??

mhsfirstsgls
01-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Western MA

IT WAS IN!!!
01-18-2007, 04:37 PM
hmm wow that is quite an excaliber for a 12 year old girl is she tall? and it depends does she have regular lessons with a pro?

mhsfirstsgls
01-18-2007, 04:49 PM
She's 5 feet 2 and a half inches... she takes group lessons at the local club right now, though there weren't many people her age that can go shot to shot with her... right now she's in the group with the 14-16 year olds...

IT WAS IN!!!
01-18-2007, 05:15 PM
She's 5 feet 2 and a half inches... she takes group lessons at the local club right now, though there weren't many people her age that can go shot to shot with her... right now she's in the group with the 14-16 year olds...

yes your sister sounds like she would fit in tournaments. One thing to practice is serves on weekends once a week or every other week, and if you are better than your sister or have access to a ball machine at your club then fire balls at her at the net. it helped me, make sure her motion at net on volleys is compact and she doesn't drop her wrist on volleys

mhsfirstsgls
01-19-2007, 10:42 AM
hmm wow that is quite an excaliber for a 12 year old girl is she tall? and it depends does she have regular lessons with a pro?

oh yeah and she's only 11, not 12 haha. ;)

mhsfirstsgls
01-20-2007, 11:28 AM
So is that the general consensus, it's a good idea for her to jump into some tournaments?

Gus
01-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Of course it's a good idea to enter some tournaments, competing is fun (or at least it's supposed to be). A word of caution though, G12's are ruled by consistency queens. Heavy hitters prone to make errors may not experience much success. Keep her spirits up when she loses to her first moon balling opponent- it's no big deal in the long run.

mhsfirstsgls
01-27-2007, 10:06 AM
haha hopefully then moonball pushers will have trouble getting to her shots.

kerplunker
01-27-2007, 10:42 AM
my sister plays with a HEAVILY leaded up head liquid metal heat.

mhsfirstsgls
01-27-2007, 05:11 PM
What age group?

How tall?

EasternRocks
08-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Shes built for a good tennis player and is competing with girls that are older than she is. Girls 12, they don't hit hard, there just consistent. You just have to be the 1 that steps up and isn't afraid to hit that yellow fuzzy little ball...XD::)

BigBUBBA
08-08-2007, 06:10 AM
Wow....she sounds like a girl me....

BigBUBBA
08-08-2007, 06:10 AM
Except without the pure drive. Hate them