PDA

View Full Version : anyone here on a school tennis team?

spinning09
01-19-2007, 02:35 PM
hey i was jw who here was on a team...and how good are you?

thejackal
01-19-2007, 02:48 PM
varsity starts in a few weeks

pNoyr3D
01-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Yes, I play High school Varsity tennis. Tennis starts in a month and a half for school so I play at a club right now.

IT WAS IN!!!
01-19-2007, 04:26 PM
why, i am in middle school and last year had to play intermediate (i signed up for advanced too late) and our team crushed the competiton we won city then state, but we werent able to go to southerns because our louisiana tennis team rules didnt comply with the southern team tennis rules. and it really infuriated me :mad:

Kabob190
01-19-2007, 04:36 PM
high school tennis starts feb. 14th for me. cant wait.

Amone
01-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Team starts I dunno when, I should probably call my coach and ask him. I'll be playing 1 singles... and losing every match. Damn them seniors for graduating! DAMN THEM! Ah, well.

GeorgiaRoyal
01-19-2007, 05:49 PM
That's funny!

I am a high school coach, here in Georgia. That makes me think of a guy I had a few years back. He just began playing tennis when he was a freshman. He only played 2 varsity matches that year (2002). In 2003, he played 2 doubles on a strong team had a very strong record. In 2003, he had worked his way up to the point where he was serviceable as a #1 doubles player, but played most of the time as 2 doubles. Then, my #1S, #3S, and both #1 doubles guys graduated and the #2S boy (who was a soph and was 8-3 that season) moved. So, that left this boy as my #1 singles player during his senior season after just picking up a racquet during tryouts of his freshman year. He hung in for some good matches, but he was definitely overmatched in that spot and went 1-10 on the year. It was a bad way to end his high school tennis career, but that's what happens sometimes when all of those damn seniors graduate! ;)

Amone
01-19-2007, 05:54 PM
That's funny!

I am a high school coach, here in Georgia. That makes me think of a guy I had a few years back. He just began playing tennis when he was a freshman. He only played 2 varsity matches that year (2002). In 2003, he played 2 doubles on a strong team had a very strong record. In 2003, he had worked his way up to the point where he was serviceable as a #1 doubles player, but played most of the time as 2 doubles. Then, my #1S, #3S, and both #1 doubles guys graduated and the #2S boy (who was a soph and was 8-3 that season) moved. So, that left this boy as my #1 singles player during his senior season after just picking up a racquet during tryouts of his freshman year. He hung in for some good matches, but he was definitely overmatched in that spot and went 1-10 on the year. It was a bad way to end his high school tennis career, but that's what happens sometimes when all of those damn seniors graduate! ;)

This is my buffer year. I've got big goals my senior year, this is my year to play, and improve, until we undoubtedly move down a league next year. :D

GeorgiaRoyal
01-19-2007, 06:06 PM
How long have you been playing? What parts of your game do you feel are lacking when you come up against these #1 singles players? I'd focus on attacking short balls (you are bound to get them, even at #1 singles), and your net game. Another nugget is not to try to win points on your returns of serve. You'll lose many more than you'll win. Just get a first serve back in play. What you do with the second serve just depends. Even at #1 singles, you'll see many guys with something just more advanced than a dink serve. Treat this thing like a short ball and attack it and get to the net. Put pressure on them.

This year, I'm coaching at a brand new school and we are severly lacking in experience, so I know it will be a rough year. We are just going to do what you were saying. We're going to make improvement our goal. We can think about wins a little down the road, but improvement is what we need. We start up in a week down here (Jan 29). I'm excited to get going, although I know the road ahead is long.

This year I'm going to be preaching the 7 ideas of "Percentage Tennis". You can read about them, here:

http://www.tennisserver.com/turbo/turbo_97_2a.html

Amone
01-19-2007, 06:13 PM
How long have you been playing? What parts of your game do you feel are lacking when you come up against these #1 singles players? I'd focus on attacking short balls (you are bound to get them, even at #1 singles), and your net game. Another nugget is not to try to win points on your returns of serve. You'll lose many more than you'll win. Just get a first serve back in play. What you do with the second serve just depends. Even at #1 singles, you'll see many guys with something just more advanced than a dink serve. Treat this thing like a short ball and attack it and get to the net. Put pressure on them.

This year, I'm coaching at a brand new school and we are severly lacking in experience, so I know it will be a rough year. We are just going to do what you were saying. We're going to make improvement our goal. We can think about wins a little down the road, but improvement is what we need. We start up in a week down here (Jan 29). I'm excited to get going, although I know the road ahead is long.

This year I'm going to be preaching the 7 ideas of "Percentage Tennis". You can read about them, here:

http://www.tennisserver.com/turbo/turbo_97_2a.html

The lacking parts of my game are my serve, return, and groundstrokes. I plan on rushing the net as much as possible, not only because I'm a serve-and-volleyer, but because I'm more than beatable at the baseline. ;D Wish me luck!

Good luck with the guys, hope you improve greatly. :)

Voltron
01-19-2007, 06:25 PM
No, because I'm homeschooled, tournaments for me. Actually the high school I would go to offered(rather begged) to put me on varsity if I took lunch, gym, and home ec at the school.

xtremerunnerars
01-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Team starts I dunno when, I should probably call my coach and ask him. I'll be playing 1 singles... and losing every match. Damn them seniors for graduating! DAMN THEM! Ah, well.

That's funny!

Sounds like me! I started freshman year pretty much, and played #2 jv singles. Looking to play #2 singles varsity this year, my coach has me at #3 right now. She's going to be wrong...I can't wait until I beat the #2 kid! He's been my goal ever since last year's banquet when i asked the seniors if i could play singles two.

We moved down a league this year to AA and have a VERY good chance at making it to the state playoffs if everyone stays focused. I feel like only us singles guys see how good our team's chance is...and I'm making it my goal to win my matches and keep the other guys focused.

After this year, we lose singles 1 (who is full ride to BC or BU (can't remember)), #3 singles, and first doubles. Their replacements are terrible and are really unmotivated! So next year I'll be 1 singles and in a world of trouble :-p.

patrick922
01-19-2007, 08:57 PM
i was on a high school tennis team. i played #3 singles. i graduated last year and i am a 4.0. our team got to regionals.

pNoyr3D
01-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Wow #3 singles, didn't know there was such a thing. I really wish we had that, I am really trying to work my way up to a #2 singles spot this year. I play way better in singles play.

Our school has #1S, #2S, #1D, #2D, and #3D.

Basically my coach already told me that he was going to choose the TOP 8 players of the team and he said i'd definitely be in that category.

patrick922
01-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Wow #3 singles, didn't know there was such a thing. I really wish we had that, I am really trying to work my way up to a #2 singles spot this year. I play way better in singles play.

Our school has #1S, #2S, #1D, #2D, and #3D.

Basically my coach already told me that he was going to choose the TOP 8 players of the team and he said i'd definitely be in that category.

basically we have 6 singles and 3 doubles. so 5 wins clinches the match. i did play the #2 spot my junior year but some new guy came and took my spot :mad:. and we were about the same level, and we only played 1 challenge match and he won it 7-5.

GeorgiaRoyal
01-20-2007, 04:13 AM
So, in that format, do you get to play both doubles and singles, or do you have to have 12 guys to play? How long does it take to play a match? Our girls and boys seasons are at the same time (I bet you all are split between the fall and spring). This year, we are not playing matches at the same place as the girls. So, if the girls are home, we'd be away. That should help the time a good bit. Our matches start around 4:30 and we'll probably be done around 6:30-7:00.

Amone
01-20-2007, 06:24 AM
4s, 4d here! <:O

thejackal
01-20-2007, 12:32 PM
basically we have 6 singles and 3 doubles. so 5 wins clinches the match. i did play the #2 spot my junior year but some new guy came and took my spot :mad:. and we were about the same level, and we only played 1 challenge match and he won it 7-5.

same # of players in norcal. btw how r challenge matches, any interesting stories?

smittysan89
01-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Played #1 doubles last season, we had 7 seniors on the team last season, I was the only underclassmen on the varsity team as a junior.

Will be playing #1 singles this year, unfortunately our season doesnt start till late march...

tennisboi
01-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I started tennis last year and turned out to be #2 singles on the varsity team as a freshman. This year I'm aiming for 1st singles as a sophmore. but my obstacle is this junior. and our season starts on feb. 19

tennisboi
01-20-2007, 08:40 PM
I started tennis last year and turned out to be #2 singles on the varsity team as a freshman. This year I'm aiming for 1st singles as a sophmore. but my obstacle is this junior. and our season starts on feb. 19 :D

patrick922
01-20-2007, 08:54 PM
basically challenge matches are matches that you play with each other to determine who is 'better'. [aka ladder matches].

>>i actually played #3 singles and #3 doubles my senior year. [im not a doubles guy].

>>and my junior year i played #2 singles and #3 doubles.

>>i played #5 singles sophomore year and did not play doubles.

>>and my freshman year i played #6 singles and #3 doubles.

and it depends on who plays doubles, depends on if they are good at doubles. we had this one guy who wasnt a very good singles player who was #8 singles and he played #1 doubles.

300Gkid
01-21-2007, 05:05 AM
our team plays 3S 2D format. I'm a freshman and hoping to make 3rd singles, I could may be make 2nd but the Athletic Director's son plays (even though i beat him in a club tournament last year) and will basicaly HAVE to play 2nd singles :-(

court_7077
01-22-2007, 01:51 PM
OMG YES!!

I started playing tennis last year for my first time ever and i ROCK lol
(not to toot my own horn or anything)
I was ranked #1 in singles and #2 in doubles
Tennis is my all time favorite sport !!

We start back at the end of february! <3

dave333
01-22-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm #1 on the jv team.

mostly because my serve is either consistent, or actually has effect.

FEDEX1
01-23-2007, 06:56 PM
tennis starts in about a month and a half. I'm a freshman and most defintly making varsity. Possibly in the top 5 of my team

klngnbrgd
01-23-2007, 07:08 PM
This past season, my season is from August to October, I played 1st doubles and earned All-State Honors.

Justin
01-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I was on my school's varsity team in 8th (ranked #3) and 9th grade (ranked #2). I'm not doing it this year because I don't have the time with my courseload.

StealthGnome
01-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Our team starts Monday, Jan 29, 2007.
3 spots avaliable. 1 raduated, 1 transfered schools, 1 quit for baseball.
I started taking lessons half a year ago. I got nice strokes but a horrible serve. My coach is preparing me all around to get me decent.
The good thing is I have no competition. The only people that play tennis are me and my hitting partner (He's okay, stopped taking lessons awhile ago).
Hurray for me!
I just don't wanna lose it for the team.
Oh yea, I'm a freshman.

Alex_Chin
02-04-2007, 07:47 AM
I played 1st last year as Freshman and in a month or so, I'll play first probably, but we're pretty bad so it doesn't mean anything. Out of our whole varsity team, only my brother and I play USTA competitively, so our lineup is not that impressive. But it's okay, because the teams we play are really bad too.

brayman9
02-05-2007, 03:11 PM
not duxbury next year when i am there. :)

krprunitennis2
02-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm not on the team, but I usually practice with them. I've been playing since last school year, and I'm around the 3.5 level. I can beat the #1 JV in our school and contest well against some varsity members.

#1 players on our team are on 5.5 and 4.5 level. Gap is kinda big. O.o Average Varsity members are on 3.5-4.0 level, school is #3 in the city.

JV members range from 1.5 - 3.0! VERY large gap there in terms of skill huh? And season starts tommorow!

tennis_nerd22
02-05-2007, 03:22 PM
i was... in my city and province the city championships were in fall, and the provincials are in spring sometime. i lost in the city finals, out of 12 teams. the stupid thing about your ****ing stupid system is that if you play competitive (as in city tournaments, which are a very VERY low level... well not that bad, but pretty bad, like 3.0 or less) you AUTOMATICALLY have to play senior (grades 11 and 12, but junior is 9 and 10). so me being in grade 10, at 5'4, had to go up against all the huge grade 12's. but im happy and looking forward to next season when all those 12's will be retired ;)

you guys in the states are lucky though. great system, great competition, great funding, and great commitment... i wish i could live in the US, lol

boobik2371
02-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Yea I played at 3rd and 2nd last year, we start again next week. My freshman year I was dead last and started taking lessons(plyed a little before that). After about a year of lessons I managed to move up 9 positions, and got through the conference tournament and went out in the first round of regionals last year. Not taking lessons anymore you get to a point where the same coach cant teach you anything. We'll see what happens.

smittysan89
02-05-2007, 05:33 PM
god here in ohio our season starts so late....probably because right now its negative degrees out...

our season doesnt start until mid March....so I have to resort to Competitive Clinics, and hitting with kids whenever courts are open...

Thomas15
02-06-2007, 02:35 PM
wish our school had a tennis team, we have really nice tennis courts at our school but they are just sitting there with no one to play on them (expect me)

Skppr05
02-06-2007, 08:06 PM
wow, i havn't posted here in awhile. lol anyway i was 1st singles for the JV team last year. I was going to be 3rd singles for varsity however there were way to many seniors last year so i had to stay in JV. Season starts soon so I hope to move on up the food chain

[K]aotic
02-06-2007, 11:00 PM
yea, i have go to high school next year. i'm about 3.0 and looking to make at LEAST jv. and if i practice enough over the summer maybe i can get varsity. and i am NOT a doubles player. the whole reason i got into tennis was becuz its one of very few sports that doesn't really require team work... yea i know there is and I in TEIM! :D

Duzza
02-07-2007, 02:25 AM
I could be but I'm a little too cool for school.

topspin kid
02-09-2007, 03:47 PM
i picked up a raquet last year and and was playing #7(it exhibition) now im going to be #3 and will plan to take out the #2. I am nervous because even though i got wayyyyyyyy better from #6-#3 is a big difference. My season starts in about a week or to. The only thing is my grades arent up to par. I will have to talk to my coach, because i have good hopes for us this year and they need me.

FABulous
02-09-2007, 06:02 PM
I do. First day of practice is in two weeks and on the first day is when they tell you what team your on and i'm no where near ready.

PrestigeXP
02-11-2007, 05:07 PM
School teams are easy, not much competition

tosteen
02-12-2007, 05:00 PM
yeah for sure. i just made my team (#1 region and district) and my coach put me on JV cause the damn seniors got to play ahead of me. even though i beat all of them.

GeorgiaRoyal
02-21-2007, 09:25 AM
We started our practices about 3 weeks ago. Our first match is 2/28. My players aren't very good, but all but 3 are freshmen, so at least I'll have them for a while. I expect it to take us about 2 years to become a very good team. My 3 best players are all around the same level (3.0). I've got guys playing on varsity that just started playing about 6 months ago. They are probably 2.0-2.5 players. So, it sounds like my varsity team is on par with some of the jv teams you all are talking about. I'm looking forward to the first match.

nhstennis
02-21-2007, 09:54 AM
why, i am in middle school and last year had to play intermediate (i signed up for advanced too late) and our team crushed the competiton we won city then state, but we werent able to go to southerns because our louisiana tennis team rules didnt comply with the southern team tennis rules. and it really infuriated me :mad:

What city are you from. I'm from Slidell.

zzzbrianxxx
02-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Dover-Sherborn High School - Varsity Team 16-0 (Regular Season)
1st Singles 10-6
2nd Singles 16-0
3rd Singles 16-0
1st Doubles 14-2 (I played 1st Doubles for the whole year)
2nd Doubles 10-6

We made it to the Quarters of state were we unforutnately lost a very tight deciding match due to cramping. This was our 2nd singles guy and he was forced to retire in the third set.

volkltennis_girl
02-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi! I play middle school tennis. and umm. our season starts at the beginning of the school year, which is in the last of August and early September. For the how good i am part, well lets just say that my tennis lesson coach says that i HAVE to be number one this year. Where i live tennis isnt the big sport, or the sport everyone plays! Last year there where only eight people on the team! :( Plus, all coach doesnt know the first thing about tennis. :mad: soooo thats about it!

volkltennis_girl

WhiteSox05CA
02-23-2007, 06:16 PM
What NTRP rating are all you guys?

boobik2371
02-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Rep. East Meck...it sucks when you have 4.5/5.0 players playing in your conference.

zzzbrianxxx
02-24-2007, 11:32 AM
4.5 when I play another 4.0+.

3.5 when I play anybody under 4.0. If they can't be consistent, I can't play to my fullest ability.

tennishead93
03-01-2007, 05:51 PM
We just started playing this week im no. 3 singles on varsity but i wanna challenge the other two guys so i can take a #1 or #2 spot. It so annoying that ppl get p.o ed at me for being so young and still beating them. Not my fault im 13! Anybody know any info about how to cope w/ this?

shojun25
03-02-2007, 07:07 PM
I play JV tennis in our team (2nd last year in our league) and right now, I am singles 1. I've played tennis for 2 months before last year's season started (so 14 months) and I am a sophomore. I think that that's really good. :p

ntrp self rating: 3.5